• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Koihime†Musō, 11Eyes, Kämpfer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
At least these guys are picking stuff up, announcing, and releasing shortly after. Still waiting for Vampire Bund FUNi...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I'm not worried; tasteless fanservice shows tend to do the best in sales. See: Ikki Tousen, Queen's Blade, etc. US companies keep licensing these types of shows for the same reason the Japanese companies keep making them: they produce reliable sales.

I'm not sure this is really true. Don't shounen shows like Bleach and Naruto do better?

The latest newsletter from RACS listed market share per company, and those companies that seem to handle license those kind of shows regularly (i.e Sentai, Media Blasters) seem to have a smaller market share.

Quote:
Percentage of Anime market share:

Funimation 39%
Disney 25%
Viz 13%
Bandai 6%
Sony 4%
Section 23 3%
Media Blasters 3%
Manga Video (Starz) 2%
Other* 5%

I also remember that Hetalia was in Amazon's top 100 for a couple of weeks (though that might be considered a fanservice show, just catering to a different demographic).
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
How the hell does Sony -who has only licensed 14 things- have a bigger market share than both Media Blasters and Section 23? Disney with the Ghibli movies I get, but Sony is crazy. Viz is pretty crazy too; I guess Naruto and Bleach do much, much better than I thought (and I thought they were golden cows to begin with).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
How the hell does Sony -who has only licensed 14 things- have a bigger market share than both Media Blasters and Section 23? Disney with the Ghibli movies I get, but Sony is crazy. Viz is pretty crazy too; I guess Naruto and Bleach do much, much better than I thought (and I thought they were golden cows to begin with).

I'm not really sure. I just copypasta'd for the RACS newsletter. My guess is that they include live action adaptations (from anime properties) in their sales figures.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
At least these guys are picking stuff up, announcing, and releasing shortly after. Still waiting for Vampire Bund FUNi...

Well, it's been available on their website for like half a year. You could just go watch it there....

In my opinion this is the best solution since I watched it and didn't really think it was worth owning, but to each his/her own.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

No, they are picking up, waiting till they are ready to release, and then announcing. If you notice, the titles that were also announced as simulcasts or in press releases from then have the same time delay other companies.
i.e.
FUNi/Bandai/etc announces the minute the ink on the contract is dry and you wait while production happens.

S23 licenses and does production and then finally announces with the release date.

And with simulcasts, announcements have been moved 4-5 months earlier than they would have been in most cases because they have to wait for the airing and the R2s to finish when they normally announce after the R2s finish.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
That is true- Funi can stream shows subbed long before the dvd's come out, because they have to wait for the japanese R2's release to finish in most cases.

Sentai generally only announces shows when they solicit them, in a low profile fashion, and most of those are subbed which involves less production time than dubs or attention to retail placement. It's what works for them.

Kampfer sounds pretty strange, might check it out sometime. Curious what they'll announced. And S23 does have 1 title they've been waiting on- Guin Saga, which I'm guessing might be due to it being leaked early via Aniplex's panel at a con, and them investigating dubbing it. Hope we'll see it in some form soon.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Actually of the titles mentioned, Ghost Sweeper Mikami is the one I'm most intrigued by. I've always wanted to see it and I think it's been at least a decade and a half since a release last saw the light of day. It's nice to see an oldie-but-goodie get attention once and a while.

Paploo I think you would like Kampfer. You just got to turn off the thinking part of your brain when you watch it and just enjoy it for what it is.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
And S23 does have 1 title they've been waiting on- Guin Saga, which I'm guessing might be due to it being leaked early via Aniplex's panel at a con, and them investigating dubbing it. Hope we'll see it in some form soon.

Yeah, That is the one I'm waiting for as well.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
Dang it. are you serious? Why would you license Kaempfer? Why do these people choose the absolute worst titles to bring over here? I'm not gonna feel any sympathy for you when you go under due to illegal downloading...

What are you trying to say here? "I don't like a title you licensed so hope you go under" or "I don't like the title, so the only people who will watch it are leeches as they have no taste"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
we can all cry about kampfer, but maybe they had to get it. as in it was bundled with another show

and remember sentai films announced the license along with the simulcast of High School of the Dead, plus they announced that it will be dubbed in english, so there is at least one instance when sentai films announces a show, and we have to wait awhile before we get to buy it,

so maybe kampfer was a package deal, at least that is what I tell myself in hopes that I believe it

lets hope we get blu-rays of HSOTD
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
Man, Kamiyama had it easy.
Heaven's Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

I'm not really sure. I just copypasta'd for the RACS newsletter. My guess is that they include live action adaptations (from anime properties) in their sales figures.

My guess is its counting Final Fantasy Advent Children.

Anyway, I'd probably buy all three of S23's new licenses, as long as I can get them on sale or something. Despite the negative opinions I'd still like to see for myself, and I'm not that into CR/streaming yet - I still like collecting anime DVDs.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
I was surprised they put 25 episodes together as one set, since most sets are released with only 12 or 13 episodes at a time, isn't gintama released with only 12 episodes per release, and that has a lot of episodes to go.

I think that just shows how little Sentai was expecting Glass Mask to sell to start with... And it did even worse than that. I personally have bought the set but haven't watched it yet.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Actually of the titles mentioned, Ghost Sweeper Mikami is the one I'm most intrigued by. I've always wanted to see it and I think it's been at least a decade and a half since a release last saw the light of day. It's nice to see an oldie-but-goodie get attention once and a while.

Paploo I think you would like Kampfer. You just got to turn off the thinking part of your brain when you watch it and just enjoy it for what it is.

I like that sort of anime from time to time- the stupidest stuff can be very entertaining [...I bought Glass Fleet.... in singles...]. It seems to be a bag of strange Japan-stuff all rolled into one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8