• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Brings Back Starter Sets, Adds Anime Classics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
triangle_man wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

That's seriously the lamest....whatcha call these things...prizes? Inclusions, bonuses?

Tchotchke?

Had to google the spelling though Embarassed

According to Dictionary.com chotchke (under slang dictionary) is an acceptable secondary spelling for the word but you know I never realized this is how this word is spelled either Shocked .
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Quote:
Woot, woot for The Sacred Blacksmith getting a premium set! So thats why they delayed it! I loved this anime despite how flawed it is (one of my guilty pleasures)

I know this probably isn't the best place to ask but... is it good based on it's own uniqueness(like how Kaze no Stigma was rather interesting because of it's rare hero)?
Or is it simply fun and manages to remain consistent and is just less painful than most cookie-cutter ones?

Judging from it's look, it seems to be a combination of Tower of Druaga and K-ON.
Silly, but supposedly straightforward with it's intent(I haven't seen K-ON).

In any case, one would think Funi would like to share this new idea with Blu-rays. It just creates more purchasing potentials.

(Sorry for the late reply...) It's the latter. It simply fun and is a cut above a few other fanservice/moe anime. I can go on and on about the flaws though. Like poor pacing, incompetent heroine, terrible/forced/fake/rushed conclusion (yeah, I was slightly pissed), gets lost in randomness instead of focusing on the plot, the characters never really go on an adventure like it seems, no real romantic growth in Luke and Cecily, etc. It was just all around badly directed. (Shares the same director as the Pokemon anime...)

But I don't know, I still liked it. The characters are very attractive without trying hard like other ecchi anime (Aria is freaking hot!), the animation is top notch (that is why I want the Blu-Rays!) with some great fanservice that don't over do it and some cool action sequences. I liked some of the random stuff the characters would find themselves in, like dressing up as maids! The characters were intriguing though, just poorly developed. And it also has a cool classic RPG feel to it.

Most people only hate this anime because they had a "high standard" for the studio behind it (Manglobe). "How dare they make something that's not trying to be deep and cash in on the moe craze!" Constantly comparing it to the likes of Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo. While I admit its nothing special, its nearly not as bad as some people make it out to be. Its just fluffy fun for me. I really hope it gets a second season, it REALLY needs one!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
gartholamundi wrote:

EDIT: plus, while it would be great to get soundtracks, that's got to be so completely difficult as to make the cost exorbitant. i don't see that happening very often considering all the hassle with the music merchandisers.

Bandai was putting out some soundtract with their deluxe starter sets.
I think all my FMA soundracks came from those Funi tins.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
gartholamundi wrote:

EDIT: plus, while it would be great to get soundtracks, that's got to be so completely difficult as to make the cost exorbitant. i don't see that happening very often considering all the hassle with the music merchandisers.

Bandai was putting out some soundtract with their deluxe starter sets.
I think all my FMA soundracks came from those Funi tins.

Project A-ko came with a CD soundtrack as a packin too from CPM, as did the first Please Teacher dvd. I think the CD division actually did well for Geneon from my understanding- I'm guessing how expensive it is depends on which company supplied the music in Japan- if the animation company owns it outright, I'm guessing it might not be hard for them to acquire it as an extra disc if they want to add something extra to the release. I imagine it still involves a lot of work and extra costs, but still practical for some releases.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Gantz is in no way, shape, or form, a "classic".

Says you. I thought it was an awesome anime, it sucked that the anime caught up with the manga too quickly.
Agreed. Gantz is my favorite anime.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I think simply put, the Anime Classics is going to be a line similar to Bandai's Anime Legends. I mean Haruhi, Gurren Lagann, and Lucky Star are relatively new, but obviously popular enough to get branded as such.

And I'm excited for future releases that I may want. 5 dollars is a small price to pay for a premium release, even if it's just a nicer box.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
ssgOverlord wrote:
I think simply put, the Anime Classics is going to be a line similar to Bandai's Anime Legends. I mean Haruhi, Gurren Lagann, and Lucky Star are relatively new, but obviously popular enough to get branded as such.

As I understand it, older releases from Bandai get released under the Anime Legends label. IIRC, that's generally been the only way that they've released boxed sets too (though that has been changing somewhat as the industry is moving away from singles). I believe that essentially everything from them gets released as Anime Legends eventually.

For Funimation, they had the Viridian label for that. When stuff got old enough, they re-released it as Viridian. Pretty much everything hit Viridian eventually. But then they added S.A.V.E., which is pretty much the same thing, so some stuff has been Viridian and some stuff has been S.A.V.E. It has been suggested that whether something got re-released as Viridian or S.A.V.E. depended on how well it sold initially (with S.A.V.E. being for the ones which sold worse).

However, now they're introducing Anime Classics, and since they're saying that everything will eventually be released as Anime Classics or S.A.V.E., it looks like Anime Classics is essentially a rebranding of Viridian. So, from the sounds of it, the stuff that sold better will end up as Anime Classics, and the stuff that didn't sell so well will end up as S.A.V.E. (though as far as I know, Funimation has never outrighted admitted that that's the distinction between Viridian and S.A.V.E. and therefore the likely distinction between Anime Classics and S.A.V.E.).

Personally, I don't think that it matters all that much. They're re-release stuff at a lower price with whatever label they want to stick on it, and if you haven't bought it by then, you can get it at a lower price. What they call it isn't particularly important.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6