• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Lance, A Lot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
OKay, I have one minor complaint:

Why is it that so many people mispronounce it as "Eee"- vangelion? Like saying the letter "E" then "vangelion"?

Is that how they even say it in the show?

Its pronounced "Ay-vangelion". Ay as in Day.

Like the female name "Eva" (its referencing that).

Its not supposed to sound like "Ee-vangelist", that's just an English word that mutated away from the root word.

Funny story: during the FUNimation NYAF panel, *between themselves*, I mean spontaneously, Rojas and Adam started debating how to pronounce it ---which is arguably worse than being convinced that its the incorrect "E-vangelion" (at least you can have conviction that way)

Rather, they fumbled around debating how to pronounce it, then *turned to me* in the audience and I shouted out "Ay-vangelion as in Day!" (this was odd given that "Eva expert" Taliesin Jaffe was sitting right there in the audience...)

I mean really, check out this clip (I fast-forwarded it)...how does Ritsuko pronounce "Evangelion"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YFIAVsMNws&featuret#t=7m18s

Basically, what we need to break is the myth that "Eva is too complicated to understand"....this is largely the result of hype and ignorance. I'm not talking about fan rivalries, I mean people who don't even like the show and thus *don't buy it* because they get scared off.

Well, how can we possibly hope to resolve all of the controversies and rival theories about Eva....*when we can't even agree on how to pronounce the name itself?*

Oh and don't get me started on how End of Eva says it: "Evh-angelion" -- that was a dictate from Amanda Winn Lee; they wanted to "make it distinct" so they *intentionally and knowingly mispronounced certain common terms* ...which is silly.

I discuss how to pronounce the name more here:

http://revolutionofevangelion.org/how-to-pronounce-evangelion-nerv-and-seele-correctly/

though I ultimately turn to a higher authority in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y26vsWhxhqg

Last edited by _V_ on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

As for Evangelion, I would just wait to see the 4th movie just to see what their going to do with the masturbation scene, and Giant Naked Rei. I mean with a change in anime, with works like Ikkitousen, and Queen's Blade you think that Hideaki Anno has something up his sleeve.

Well considering that in the manga adaptation they actually removed the masturbation scene (or to be more specific, changed it to something...else), maybe the sentiments towards the characters have changed. Their portrayels in the Rebuild films so far've been a lot less damning...course after what happened in 2.0, they may not even use the EoE ending at all and do something completely differant
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
About Ouran not doing so well on Blu-ray: I don't think it had to do with the genre at all. I mean, I'd love to see some of my favorite shojo/josei titles get the Blu-ray treatment! I think it had more to do with Ouran not being native HD. For a while, "upscale" was quite the dirty word in anime fandom...

But weren't Samurai 7 and Heroic Age also upscales?

Anyway, my thoughts:

-Eva was #1?!! Sweet! Guess I don't have to worry as much about whether we'll get 3 and 4, barring any unforeseen incidents....

-I was surprised My Bride is a Mermaid was a hit, but even more surprised that Heroic Age did well. I kinda was worried that space operas wouldn't really find an audience. Nice to hear that Eden of the East is doing well, it deserves it

- I do love how Hollywood does the DVD + BluRay combos (already have Avatar, Kickass, and Up in these combos), as I don't have a BR player but hate the thought of missing out on a better-looking version. However, with TV series, that seems too much, I'll just upgrade the ones I really want. But if FUNimation wants to do it with films like Summer Wars, I'd love that. Smile

-can't say I'm surprised about Fruits Basket still selling very well. The manga certainly never slowed down in sales as it was being released

-I like that Lance believes in promoting the value of (relatively) older shows.

-yeah, it annoys me that Best Buy throws all their Blu-Ray together in one big aisle. But hey, I can't be too mad at them, due to a mis-label, I got Full Metal Panic FUMUFOO for only $5 today! Smile

-more D. Gray-man still a possibility? Definitely sounds good to me

-I'll probably get the LE of Black Butler, but Sacred Blacksmith is more iffy. I'm much more looking forward to seeing LEs of Darker than Black S2, Shakugan no Shana S2, Index, Eva 2.22, etc. Also curious if ongoing series like One Piece or FMA Brotherhood will ever get the LE treatment
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for Evangelion, I would just wait to see the 4th movie

Rumor mill has it Hideaki Anno is fighting with Gainax; we might not even get the 3rd movie for some time.

I explain this split more in this article I wrote: http://revolutionofevangelion.org/rumor-khara-splitting-from-gainax-if-so-gainax-collapse-likely/

If anything, Rebuild of Eva is running into a problem which I guess is increasingly rare in these dark times:

its not a matter of "did it sell well enough to justify a North American distributor getting it?"

but rather, "it did so well...how the heck can anyone possibly afford its astronomically high licensing fee?"

But on the Japanese side....its making so much money that Hideaki Anno and Gainax are fighting over the rights now. We do not know how this will be resolved.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Hm, so the Dragon Boxes really are limited. Well, I'll be collecting them all.

Glad the Kai dub is getting some good feedback. I was afraid too many fans of Z's dub would have hated the changes. I would have made more changes, myself, but the Kai dub is a happy medium, with returning cast members doing a lot better this time around, largely due to the better scripts.

I'm not surprised that the Lupin III/Detective Conan hasn't been licensed. Lupin III titles never make any waves in North America. This is why Discotek gets my respect.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
About Ouran not doing so well on Blu-ray: I don't think it had to do with the genre at all. I mean, I'd love to see some of my favorite shojo/josei titles get the Blu-ray treatment! I think it had more to do with Ouran not being native HD. For a while, "upscale" was quite the dirty word in anime fandom...

But weren't Samurai 7 and Heroic Age also upscales?

I don't remember much about Heroic Age, but I do recall Samurai 7 being one of the first anime TV series to be HD so no worries about that one being upscaled.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the Birdy ED is sacred. I don't want to get into Shingo Yamashita's career right now too. >.<

For the record, it wasn't Lance nor any other PR/marketing person who said that about Baki. I wasn't specifically asking if Lance himself disliked any other shows either. I've heard former FUNimation employees in Q/As at cons jokingly (and not so jokingly at the same time) say how bad of a show it is. I would certainly say it's entertaining, but maybe not in the way that anime fans want to admit to being entertained (liking it ironically, as the saying goes). I was wondering if FUNi still had the license to it, though, so good to know they still do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

Rather, they fumbled around debating how to pronounce it, then *turned to me* in the audience and I shouted out "Ay-vangelion as in Day!"

Just be happy you weren't a fan 10 years ago when people routinely referred to it as "Evanjelawn". Not that I really give a shit, but it used to be worse.

Last edited by Zac on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

Shenl742 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

As for Evangelion, I would just wait to see the 4th movie just to see what their going to do with the masturbation scene, and Giant Naked Rei. I mean with a change in anime, with works like Ikkitousen, and Queen's Blade you think that Hideaki Anno has something up his sleeve.

Well considering that in the manga adaptation they actually removed the masturbation scene (or to be more specific, changed it to something...else), maybe the sentiments towards the characters have changed. Their portrayels in the Rebuild films so far've been a lot less damning...course after what happened in 2.0, they may not even use the EoE ending at all and do something completely differant

Of course Khara won't recycle EoE--Rebuild is intended to diverge radically from NGE, and it has been clear that it will follow through since 1.0.

I'll be very surprised if we see anything akin to Shinji spankin' it over a comatose Asuka in 3 or 4, because of what you alluded to: he received a very important physiological upgrade in 2.0 (spoiler[a spine]).

Add: As for Giant Naked Rei, well, spoiler[it sort of already happened in 2.0.]

Last edited by Big Hed on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

For the record, I've bought anime at Walmart before- they often have the big Funi/VIZ releases [Naruto/FMA/DBZ] and the occasional big Manga or Bandai Ent. movie release [I got Sword of the Stranger at Walmart]. Very interesting show so far Smile The talk about retail placement is interesting, especially since MediaBlasters just announced that they have a new distributor- I wonder if the move was to be less reliant on Best Buy and get into more outlets?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Rather, they fumbled around debating how to pronounce it, then *turned to me* in the audience and I shouted out "Ay-vangelion as in Day!"

Just be happy you weren't a fan 10 years ago when people routinely referred to it as "Evanjelon". Not that I really give a shit, but it used to be worse.

You routinely mispronounce "Escaflowne", by the way.

I mean, come on, there's a track in the soundtrack that's just "ESCA-FLOW-NAY" repeated over and over again, and it's the most prominent track in the whole series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Just be happy you weren't a fan 10 years ago when people routinely referred to it as "Evanjelawn". Not that I really give a shit, but it used to be worse.

Actually I was so enraged that people still do that today, that I tracked down Lord of the Rings official movie linguist, professional Elvish expert David Salo, to make an "Evangelion PSA" that "its pronounced like a G with a G, not a J"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y26vsWhxhqg

Its time to fix Eva fandom. Something objective like "how to pronounce the name of the show" is a small but solid starting point.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I mean, come on, there's a track in the soundtrack that's just "ESCA-FLOW-NAY" repeated over and over again, and it's the most prominent track in the whole series.

I do that just to anger you.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I do that just to anger you.

Makes sense to me!

_V_ wrote:

Its time to fix Eva fandom. Something objective like "how to pronounce the name of the show" is a small but solid starting point.

That is really the least of the Eva fandom's problems.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
_V_ wrote:

That is really the least of the Eva fandom's problems.

Tell me about it. It's still divided as to whether Tiffany Grant portrayed Asuka well in the original dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11