• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Lance, A Lot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
A separate question: when he said Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 was the #1 FUNimation release year-to-date, was that just the DVD, or the DVD + Blu Ray, or do they count them combined, or how does that work?

Last edited by _V_ on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
If the Dragon Age co-production is in the planning stages right now, I doubt if it'll be ready at the same time as Dragon Age 2, since Bioware is looking at a March release.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Its time to fix Eva fandom. Something objective like "how to pronounce the name of the show" is a small but solid starting point.

That is really the least of the Eva fandom's problems.

Tell me about it. It's still divided as to whether Tiffany Grant portrayed Asuka well in the original dub.

Nowadays I just stay the hell away from Eva fandom entirely. Burned that bridge years ago and I'm proud of it.

Now I just focus on "lesser things" like...just watching and enjoying the damn thing.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
_V_ wrote:

Its time to fix Eva fandom. Something objective like "how to pronounce the name of the show" is a small but solid starting point.

Indeed. However,

1 - you need to start on a firm bedrock, something that cannot be debated (like the endless "did Anno really intend that?" crud)

2 - ....its often just plain embarrassing that different people at the same panel will pronounce it differently. That disagreements are so bad that even the *name* is in question.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Tell me about it. It's still divided as to whether Tiffany Grant portrayed Asuka well in the original dub.

Nowadays I just stay the hell away from Eva fandom entirely. Burned that bridge years ago and I'm proud of it.

Now I just focus on "lesser things" like...just watching and enjoying the damn thing.

Hah! Well I've never really been involved in Eva fandom--or any anime fandom outside of ANN, but whatever. My sympathy though. The show itself tends to be the better part of the experience I'd say, yeah. Smile

_V_ wrote:
A separate question: when he said Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 was the #1 FUNimation release year-to-date, was that just the DVD, or the DVD + Blu Ray, or do they count them combined, or how does that work?

Considering Lance quoted Kai as being the number 2 seller, I would say they combine the figures. Revenue's revenue, right?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I would like to, some day, go see an Evangelion movie, in a movie theater. Or really, any of these movies Funimation puts in theaters. But I don't live anywhere where they'd play them, and I'm not making any long treks just to watch a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I would like to, some day, go see an Evangelion movie, in a movie theater. Or really, any of these movies Funimation puts in theaters. But I don't live anywhere where they'd play them, and I'm not making any long treks just to watch a movie.

...roughly speaking, what's the nearest major city to you? I mean I live *in* New York city, so I was able to see that one screening they did for about a week here.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Well I've never lived outside of a large city, but I will say that as long as you aren't talking hundreds of miles I'd think it's well worth it making the trek to watch the Rebuild movies, because they are fantastic on the big screen.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

...roughly speaking, what's the nearest major city to you? I mean I live *in* New York city, so I was able to see that one screening they did for about a week here.

Hartford, Connecticut is the nearest to me.

I'm not going to that shithole city to watch a movie. Why not just stab myself now and get it over with?

You'd think with all the wealthy bastards around here, they'd get a movie theater to play everything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Ouran bombing on BD doesn't mean Index/Railgun will. Of course female fujoshi don't care as much about HD and high tech audio/video as male otaku fans.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Of course female fujoshi don't care as much about HD and high tech audio/video as male otaku fans.

I beg to differ! I'd be willing to bet there are several factors that influenced Ouran's performance on Blu-ray, but gender-based generalizations ain't it. :\
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Ouran bombing on BD doesn't mean Index/Railgun will. Of course female fujoshi don't care as much about HD and high tech audio/video as male otaku fans.

Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind this decision.

Ouran is a High School romantic comedy with loads of Bishōnen, that was originally released on DVD. And then later released as an up-scaled Blu-ray. I can understand why no one bought it.

Index and Railgun are both action/comedy/dramas with some fanservice elements. Both of these I'm pretty sure were animated in HD.

I would much prefer to own both of them on Blu-ray, and I think Funi is making a big mistake not doing so.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Of course female fujoshi don't care as much about HD and high tech audio/video as male otaku fans.

I beg to differ! I'd be willing to bet there are several factors that influenced Ouran's performance on Blu-ray, but gender-based generalizations ain't it. :\

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/video-business-dvd-vs-blu-ray-disc-prices-average-a-10-difference/6262:

Quote:
Currently, 72% of Blu-ray software buyers are male. That compares with standard DVD´s even 50/50 split between male and female buyers.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I am glad I asked that Trigun: Badlands Rumble question. I seriously want my friends to watch it, and I want to watch again but in dub.

I'm definitely going to watch summer wars in theater when its out.

Also glad that the Eva smashed the Dragon. I love watching DBZ but "Evanjelawn" is just awesome.

-YES! Funimation went Geneon on the packages! Now I will be able to experience the olden collector days when I was still little, watching DBZ after school every day in spanish in OC.
-I seriously love going to Fry's; back then I used to go there for the videogames but now I just waste my time looking at the massive anime shelf section! I will someday go to Fry's with a wad of cash and try to buy half of the shelf! I am one of those 1993born-generation who want to get a shelf of anime or manga but have to wait til I move out so I can buy a shelf to put the stuff in. because I overloaded on my small bed-shelf.

I read the Rumor: Khara and Gainax problems, and I am really scared if this is true, because I really want them to finish the last two "Evanjelawn" films. Sad
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I read the Rumor: Khara and Gainax problems, and I am really scared if this is true, because I really want them to finish the last two "Evanjelawn" films. Sad

I'll bet you a hundred bucks 3.0 is out in Japan next year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11