• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Lance, A Lot

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:22 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Well I don't know honestly. Don't know too much about the business or what goes behind the scenes.

Well then perhaps you shouldn't lecture people on how they should feel eh?

Quote:
I mean, why get all hung up and declare they burn just over a couple shows?

Which of course is not what I'm doing in the slightest. I never said they should burn or anything like that. You're putting words in my mouth.

Quote:
I'd like to get a few of the things you mentioned on DVD too, but I'm certainly not going to go through some kind of monstrous withdrawls if I don't get them on my shelves soon. I'll just watch something else in the meantime.

What did I just tell you? I've been plenty patient and willing to wait. The problem is that at this point it's beginning to look highly questionable as to whether it will ever happen at all.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
Was 0chrisc question killed off becouse of the question or was it becouse it was from me?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Really nice interview, and hearing that Hetalia is a sales bomb in a good way is nice. If anyone was not expecting a title like that to do well it might have been because America is considered highly "PC" now, and Hetalia is about as politically incorrect as one can get at times... And I love it for that! Have both Season 1 of the anime and Volume 1 of the manga, and I certainly am looking forward to more of it.

It's weird how I've seen people insult a show like Ring ni Kakero 1 for being politically incorrect in its (70's-originated) portrayal of nationalities, yet Hetalia is loved either because of or regardless of how incorrect it is. I guess people feel you can only be incorrect when it's a comedy...
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Well I don't know honestly. Don't know too much about the business or what goes behind the scenes.

Well then perhaps you shouldn't lecture people on how they should feel eh?

Quote:
I mean, why get all hung up and declare they burn just over a couple shows?

Which of course is not what I'm doing in the slightest. I never said they should burn or anything like that. You're putting words in my mouth.

Quote:
I'd like to get a few of the things you mentioned on DVD too, but I'm certainly not going to go through some kind of monstrous withdrawls if I don't get them on my shelves soon. I'll just watch something else in the meantime.

What did I just tell you? I've been plenty patient and willing to wait. The problem is that at this point it's beginning to look highly questionable as to whether it will ever happen at all.

Well hey man, I wasn't trying to pick a fight or anything or lecture you or anything. I was just trying to console you and tell you, "Hey, it's not really THAT bad" because you seemed so riled up. I mean, when someone uses the word [expletive] in a conversation with me, it raises flags, eh? Even if it's not directed at me. Sorry if it came off that way, but I guess I just won't do it again to you...
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:
One thing I would say as someone who still buys and collects physical media in regards to the premium packing thing is that personally I only spend the extra cost on that kinda stuff based on the title. For example I would definitely pay extra for some sort of "collectors" edition of Evangelion or Summer Wars but would not for a title like Birdy The Mighty or Full Metal Panic (just as an example). I'm hoping we get a nice box for FMA Brotherhood when that finishes up is another good example, it really just depends on how much I like a title. I mean I actually paid $10 just for the Claymore box on a Rightstuf sale even though I already had the whole thing on DVD (the first issue boxes not the complete series).

Also I'm glad to hear Funimation did not fall into this Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy pack thing either. I hate having to spend the extra cash on those when all I really want is the Blu-Ray (I'm looking at you Disney/Pixar). I don't mind having a digital copy for some movies since I have an iPad, but with anime it's probably not worth it as with most anime fans it probably would not matter.

I think you bring up a couple of good points. While collectors do tend to enjoy the fun extras, not all shows are necessarily worthy of such treatment. Obviously, it's not easy to know for sure what is necessarily popular enough to warrant such a release, but I think that it'll be very important to get a firm handle on it if these are going to have a shot.

Also, I'm right there with you on the whole multiple copy thing. Ultimately, I'm going to watch in my preferred format. If I want the show on blu-ray I'm probably not going to ever use the DVD that came with it, and end up resenting the fact that I paid extra for something I never wanted.

Yeah with some shows and titles it's not a clear cut choice for a big collector treatment, but I think my feeling is wile I like the idea I think Funimation has to approach it cautiously. Other companies have been burned before on these such as Geneon and Bandai on big collector releases but as long as Funimation is careful I think it's workable. What's particularly enticing from a fans point of view is the price as $5 more is an easy jump to make. On the flip side of that what worries me is if a show flops (a la Big Windup) because as Lance stated in the podcast Funimation is eating the extra cost of those collectors editions which could potentially be an issue. Therefore I think Funimation has to be cautious, big name titles like Dragonball, Evangelion, and Fullmetal Alchemist are a no brainer for this type of treatment, but other titles may not be so suited for a big collector style release, especially if your eating all those extra costs full on.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
...I'm sure the whole thing is alot more complicated then you think. Be a little more patient
How exactly is it 'more complicated'? Please do enlighten me with your actual reason before you tell me what to do.
Actually, from the stuff below, it is indeed hard to tell whether you have a grossly oversimplified vision, or a vision of some alternate universe that is every bit as complicated as our own.

Quote:
Also don't talk to me about patience. I was patient when they offered me no decent streaming option.
People who are waiting to see how the new site works out before complaining about it would be the ones with patience. People who lose their shit in basically Funimation's first year of extensive streaming when they know that a revamp of their site will sooner or later be ready would, by definition, have little or no patience.

Quote:
I was patient when they hedged on acquiring the DVD rights initially despite picking up shit like Vampire Bund the previous season while it was still airing. I was patient while they picked up a half dozen different garbage harem series for a dubbed DVD release since then.
There's no patience required for that ... the shit that they pick up mostly sells well, and there's enough of it produced that they can be confident that if they release six series of that shit, the sales from all six will cover the cost with a positive return on their investment.

So all that is needed to not lose our shit over the pace that those shows get released vs the pace that higher quality series for a smaller market are released is a bit of realism: how fast one thing can be done does not bear on how fast the other thing can be done.

Those higher quality series that are for a smaller market, they have to be cautious not only about which ones will refund the cost of a dub but also how many of them they work on at one time. Indeed, that was pretty clearly explained in the ANNcast.

And indeed, over the past three years, we have learned a word to describe R1 anime distributors that did not exercise that kind of caution: bankrupt.

Quote:
Now I'm out of [expletive] patience.
On this point, You are losing your shit over series like House of Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy that launched this year. It hasn't even been a year and you think that qualifies as being patient?

Patience is celebrating in 2008 the licensing of a series that first went to air in 2004.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Well-goddamn, shit, fudge-there's a whole lot of cussing, huh? My poor virgin ears!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
People who are waiting to see how the new site works out before complaining about it would be the ones with patience. People who lose their shit in basically Funimation's first year of extensive streaming when they know that a revamp of their site will sooner or later be ready would, by definition, have little or no patience.

A few things first off: 1) Funimation has been doing streaming since late 2008 so it's actually been 2 years. 2) Don't use words you do not understand. Just because you think this constitutes impatience does not mean it is so "by definition" unless in your wacky dictionary the definition of patience comes with an explicit time frame. 3) You can just cram your little ad hominem accusations that I'm 'losing my shit' right back where they came from.

Anyway though, no. As it stands now, I can't even watch the videos an Funi's site. So no, I'm not just going to assume that everything will work out eventually based on empty speculation. If at some point we get concrete details indicating that they will be upgrading their site to offer better video quality and to stream to Canada then fine. At the point I'd be at least willing to wait for that. Until then though I find this in no way reassuring.

Quote:
Those higher quality series that are for a smaller market, they have to be cautious not only about which ones will refund the cost of a dub but also how many of them they work on at one time. Indeed, that was pretty clearly explained in the ANNcast.

And indeed, over the past three years, we have learned a word to describe R1 anime distributors that did not exercise that kind of caution: bankrupt.

I can understand that companies can't overextend themselves. Again though, I find it pretty tough to swallow that as an excuse when they've gone out and picked up a half dozen other titles in the mean time. As for these being niche shows which they can't really afford to put out at the moment, that's understandable but then don't pick them up in the first place. Give somebody else a shot who is in a position to actually put them out there now. Then, in a year or whenever Funi feels they are in a position to put out another more niche show they can go ahead and license something else. Don't just squat on the licenses for these shows in the meantime though. Shit or get off the pot.

Quote:
On this point, You are losing your shit over series like House of Five Leaves and Tatami Galaxy that launched this year. It hasn't even been a year and you think that qualifies as being patient?

Look, it's not like I expect them to have the DVD out by now. Because I'm patient I understand that dubbing and production are slow processes. I'm willing to wait for that. Except we're not waiting on a DVD release. We're waiting for a mere announcement that there will be a DVD release. That's my whole point.

The problem is (and I'm saying this for the third time) at this point it's beginning to look highly questionable as to whether it will ever happen at all.

Quote:
Patience is celebrating in 2008 the licensing of a series that first went to air in 2004.

And absurdity is pretending it's still 2008 and this is the industry norm.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Interesting. But how do you know?

I think there is at least one other reason. Because nothing forces them not to do another anime season / series with a different director / studio etc. It's just that there are very few shojo animes in general, and most of them only cover a certain part of its manga counterpart (all recent ones I can think of), and very few get a second season (only Kimi ni todoke, Black Butler and Vampire Knight come to mind right now).

My source is confidential I'm afraid. That said, it originated from someone high up on the production staff.

You're also right in that it's rare these days that shoujo goes for more than 2 seasons. It'd be really unlikely for them to pick up and use a different studio/director, though, because Daichi's style is VERY distinctive, so there'd be a pretty jarring change of tone on a season 2. More likely, the bad experience made Takaya hesitant to agree to another season. But the staff complained about her being a control freak before, so I'd be terrified to see what she'd be like to work with NOW.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
Was 0chrisc question killed off becouse of the question or was it becouse it was from me?

Er - your question was "what is the year's bestselling anime", which was answered in 2 different ways - one being the overall bestselling (Ponyo) and Funi's bestselling (Eva). Did it not matter that you got the information you were asking for?

If your question is redundant or is answered during the course of the show before I get to it, obviously I skip over it.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I felt like perusing the comments regardless.

jsevakis wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
If Fruits Baskets continues to do well, improving with each subsequent release, then someone please explain to me WHY they never finished the damned anime?!

It's long enough ago now that I can say this: The reason there will never be any more Fruits Basket anime is because Akitaroh Daichi and Natsuki Takaya drove each other crazy. Daichi hates the things she insisted on (the voice cast, for example... he hates established seiyuu and never uses them for main roles if he has a choice), and she doesn't like the anime and has a lot of nit-picks (like, she never told them that Kyo's bracelet is supposed to be white and red, not white and black) but probably more accurately just hates Daichi's trademark spastic comedic streak that's so prominent in the show. It's my understanding that neither one remembers the experience fondly, and so I doubt either one is up to trying again years later.

I remember hearing this offhand somewhere years ago (no clue where I heard this, as it's been a few years) as a rumour, in addition to the higher-ups wanting Daichi to stay on board. To think part of it was actually true...
Zade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
So... if Funimation can produce blue-rays at a low price because they do it in house... wouldn't that mean the price would rise when they get sold off?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Rather, they fumbled around debating how to pronounce it, then *turned to me* in the audience and I shouted out "Ay-vangelion as in Day!"

Just be happy you weren't a fan 10 years ago when people routinely referred to it as "Evanjelawn". Not that I really give a shit, but it used to be worse.
I feel the same about the whole franchise post series. It's always been nothing but a golden shower by Anno onto anime fans what dissed the original series to me. On the topic of pronunciations, I put that down to Japanese Engrish, like how they pronounced "eureka" in "Eureka 7"; "El-wreaka".
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
On the topic of pronunciations, I put that down to Japanese Engrish, like how they pronounced "eureka" in "Eureka 7"; "El-wreaka".

Ask yourself how that word is pronounced in just about any other language but English. It's used in Spanish, French, and German for instance. It's the English pronunciation that's very strange. Otherwise you'd be watching "Yuriika 7."
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Zac wrote:
_V_ wrote:

Rather, they fumbled around debating how to pronounce it, then *turned to me* in the audience and I shouted out "Ay-vangelion as in Day!"

Just be happy you weren't a fan 10 years ago when people routinely referred to it as "Evanjelawn". Not that I really give a shit, but it used to be worse.
I feel the same about the whole franchise post series. It's always been nothing but a golden shower by Anno onto anime fans what dissed the original series to me. On the topic of pronunciations, I put that down to Japanese Engrish, like how they pronounced "eureka" in "Eureka 7"; "El-wreaka".

People that can't correctly pronounce the titles of anime really irritate me. The characters even say "Evangelion!" in the show. Really now? Have you actually seen it? This makes me think not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11