• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tsubasa, RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE GN 27

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
...It wouldn't be impossible, just astronomically unlikely. Arguably of bigger concern is the spoiler[temporal paradox] involved...

While that wasn't completely resolved, Yuko partially fixed the damage. By the way, spoiler[her "payment" was the sum of everything she was paid as the shop-owner.] Now think about THAT and get another headache.
I liked Tsubasa and the way it ended actually sealed the deal for me. While it is overly complicated for no good reason, I cannot blame it for having seious plot holes; it all comes together neatly.

Oh, and at this point I'm almost sure that spoiler[Watanuki is Clow Reed.]
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Honestly, it seems to me like the whole thing would make a lot more sense if you go back and read the whole thing a second time (Like a comicbook written by Grant Morrison) which I intend to do when XXXholic finishes and I have both series owned legitamitly

I was reading volumes 15-20 yesterday (yeah, I'm way behind) and the interconnectedness with xxxHolic reminded me a lot of Morrison's Seven Soldiers and his current Batman work. I remember I couldn't make heads and tails of the final Seven Soldiers one-shot when I first read it, but once I sat down to re-read all 7 mini series and the bookend one-shots, it all made sense. Here's hoping xxxHolic and Tsubasa will give me the same feeling once both are done.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Okay, anybody who knows me knows that I am a huge Tsubasa fan, but... I agree with pretty much everything in the review. For most of the series, Tsubasa volumes were a pretty quick read for me, but the later volumes... well, they force me to slow WAAAAAAAAAAAY down just to figure out what's going on in the action scenes. As for what's being SAID... well, I have a fun ability to just kind of roll with it, not think too hard about it, and have a vague understanding at the end of what happened, and I'm happy. It's like I understand it perfectly on a subconscious level, but if somebody asked me to explain it? Uhhhh............. um... yeah.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this review hits it right on the head.

Though what I will say is this: I expected this series to end completely incomprehensibly, and it doesn't. They DO somehow manage to wrap it up, but it was at this point in the series that it lost its potential to be one of my favorites.

And I'll second (third?) the mention of Pandora Hearts. AWESOME show/manga!
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
This series has sucked so bad since they had clone Syaoran turn heel during the Tokyo arc. Everything prior to that was rock solid and really, it felt like it would take a lot to screw up what was a pretty decent concept. Clamp found a way though.

Wouldn't mind so much, but Tsubasa has dragged XXXHolic(The far better series) down with it the further it has sank into sucksville.

I wondered why the anime version of Tsubasa became so fractured before it stopped(Skipping out the Fai origin arc completely when it went OAD), as it almost made some of the later stuff understandable, but it seems even the animators couldn't work out how to animate the ending to this series.

At this point, I'm just glad it's over so I can stop reading it(Seemed pointless to just quit 3 or 4 volumes from the end after such a heavy investment), but I can at least leave with the valuable lesson that Clamp are simply not worth reading anymore, because even if they do manage to make it to the end of a series, they will almost certainly drive it into the ground in a convoluted mess of tangled plotlines, retcons and outright nonsensical characterisation.

Such a massive waste of potential.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Carl, I am just going to put a link to this review whenever people ask my opinion of Tsubasa and where it wound up. I feel biased in saying whether your review was "good" or not because I so heartily agree with it. You put into words all my frustration with the series.

Though I'm hesitant to apply Vashfanatic's views on your review to the entire series, Carl, I must at least agree that your assessments accurately captured what I too felt was wrong with this latest volume. Perhaps even the last several. Crying or Very sad It's truly a shame, to say the least, but while the chances are slim, I still hope the story and characters I fell in love with back at the beginning will be able to resurface in time for the finale. Here's hopin'.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I tried twice to watch the anime from the first episode, but could not get past two or three because it is such a nonsense.

You have be be able to turn your mind off completely to watch it, or else it will irritate you to death.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2