• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best of 2012: TV- Franchise, Sequels, Continuing, and long running

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your favorite "continuing" show of 2012
Fairy Tail
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
Familiar of Zero F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fate/Zero
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
From the New World
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Gintama
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Hidamari Sketch × Honeycomb
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Hunter × Hunter
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Magi
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Natsume's Book of Friends 4
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Nisemonogatari
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Persona 4: The Animation
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Polar Bear's Café
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Psycho-Pass
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Shakugan no Shana III (Final)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Space Brothers
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Toriko
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
You and Me 2 (Kimi to Boku)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yuruyuri♪♪
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
*Other* (Please BOLD and mention below)
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 53

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
You can never please everyone, but I decided to create a couple polls for Best of 2012.

Looking at the best rated shows of the year I just kept finding problems with creating one poll list for 2012. So I'm making two.

The other poll contains shows that finished (at least by the end of this season) in 2012 (Future Diary, Kids on The Slope, Humanity Has Declined, Chihayafuru ... check that poll for more details).

This poll is for shows that that are still running for at least most of the next seasn. Whether they are a long running show like Naruto, or just directly continuing into the winter '13 season. A show like Chihayafuru, that had a complete FIRST season finish in 2012 goes in that poll even if it has a continuing sequel. This polls also covers franchise sories, like Last Exile:AO and Nisemonogatari

I'm sure there will be disagreements with which 19 shows I chose (love or hate), but that's why I included an "other" option. It's also quite possible that I simply missed an obvious choice by stupidity and/or the genre tool not showing it (For instance, I realized that Saki Side A wasn't found- because its page currently lists no genres)

*If any shows get repeatedly mentioned in the discussion as #1 choices, I'll edit this post and place them at the top of this post.*

I determined the list by using ANN's genre search tool and chose the highest rated shows, with some exceptions. I took out a couple I thought were highly rated but I personally thought might not get many #1 votes and included a couple more choices that I thought have dedicated fans that might vote for the show (like, maybe Polar Bear Cafe').
It is definitely not my personal top 20 for the year and the high score of a couple frankly surprised me.

I used the titles in the poll as listed by ANN, even if another title is as, or more, common.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I chose Natsume Yuujinchou. It's one of my most favourite franchises ever and I'm an addict. I'm so looking forward to seeing Nyanko-sensei again it's not even funny.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:53 am Reply with quote
Not to be nitpicky, but I think that this poll should be split into two polls, one for the shows that began in 2011 and one of those beginning at the end of 2012. I was actually thrown for a loop for a second there.

Also, you forgot K in the other poll.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
You only get 20 slots on a poll, so I didn't forget K, you can vote for it as *other* (and I can't edit a poll once posted). I only formally listed those with the highest encyclopedia scores or exceptions that I felt could otherwise get many "best of year" votes.
I should have probably included Bakuman as a featured choice in this one though.

I've already split these polls into two and I have to admit some of the choices in this one seem a bit weak.
I admit that it can be a little confusing , but originally, I was just going to post the other poll as it is, and not include any of these at all. This is basically the poll for those I excluded from the other one. I didn't want to exclude any more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
I don't feel too happy looking at a lot of the choice, but I will go with Fairy Tail since this year we had the Tenrou Island arc and Michelle Lobster.

I am honestly not really intersted in many of the continued shows continueing or that the latest season was really worth it, but FT jas beem rather good with only mostly those three filler characters casusing the biggest problems. Actually a great deal of the listed one just turn me right off and I have little interest in watching.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I've only now gotten around to making a decision on my own poll.
I have to go with Nisemonogatari. Not as good as it's predecessor but the design sense, the witty patter, the best fan-service scenarios of the year, and interesting subtext up the wazoo all combine to make it my top choice in this category.

It barely beats out the other Shaft series on the list, the delightful next chapter of Hidimari Sketch, once again it has fantastic art design but instead of explicit fan-service (unless you count the bath or two per episode) you get some of the sweetest moe action conceived.

Or I could have joined the Natsume bandwagon, there's plenty of room on there (It is, by far, the highest rated TV anime of the 2012 shows from the genre search) and I even considered using the "other" option myself to chose Sket Dance.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Here it's probably a 4-way tie between:
Fate/Zero
Nisemonogatari
Psycho Pass
Shakugan no Shana III

Went with Psycho Pass though.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I easily chose Natsume's Book of Friends. I love this show a crazy amount. I think Familiar of Zero F deserves a mention for doing a pretty good job wrapping up the franchise and for being so bold as to have spoiler[Louise and Saito get married.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1