• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron's Next Films to Be Avatar 2/3, Not Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
James Cameron, the next George Lucas.

George Lucas hasn't made anything besides Star Wars, and that isn't changing.

James Cameron, on the other hand, is responsible for the single most innovative, I guess, science fiction films of all time.

Lucas is a money-grubbing hack. James Cameron makes the best out of his absurdly expensive hobby.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Ares_EMS wrote:
And here I thought I was the only person on Earth who hasn't seen Avatar Smile

It is my sad duty to report the Motion Picture Association of America just came in and took away my solid gold statue of "Oscar" holding a plaque reading "Only Person Never To Have Seen Avatar" because of this post.

Anime cry

One of them was even so mean as to say "You need to buy more DVDs. Your collection sucks." as she was walking out the door.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
F****** hell, more Avatar? Mad
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Sheesh. It's obvious he' s not making it, why doesn't he just come out and say so? Personally, I'm glad he hasn't made it; I don't think he can do it justice. (I hate Avatar.)

LOL wow some people here, James Cameron is probably the only director alive who cold do justice to ANY anime to movie scenario
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Avatar 2: In which humanity makes the logical decision and bombs the tree-hugging sickengly- perfect blue-elves off the planet from orbit.

It'll be 15-minutes long and cost $400 million to produce
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
James Cameron, the next George Lucas.
Cameron, despite being an arrogant bastard (ask Ed Harris about filming the Abyss for a lesson in Cameron's not-so-nice nature) but he is also a damn genius.

Does he let his personal politics and philosophies interfere with that genius? Oh, yeah, you betcha. It doesn't change the fact that he's extraordinarily talented at film-making.

Part of his pysche is a need for control and working on more Avatar will be both highly profitable for him and something he can control on a level he could never achieve while adapting something.

Really, I'm only surprised that anyone would find this news surprising. We'll see a live-action Battle Angel right around the time the live-action EVA comes out.

He's not arrogant, he's just demanding. That's not a fault, it's the sign of a perfectionist who deamands the best. Really how else could that man accomplish an amazing film like Aliens from such a small budget? This is like criticizing a world class chef for being hard on his sous chefs or something.

As for the Lucas comment, wow what insanity. But really I wouldn't expect otaku to know about good movies that aren't Japanese or animated.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Well if Cameron is thinking long term, making Avatar 2 & 3 is pretty much to appease FOX and therefore get them to give him whatever budget he wants to inevitably make Battle Angel. Word is that they have put a lot of serious work and testing into a Battle Angel adaptation.

Cameron's own project Avatar took him 10 years to inevitably do. He's no doubt planning on pushing the envelope some more for the net films and prefect the technology further and inevitably use it for Battle Angel. It's a long ways out, but hopefully Last Order may be over by then and considering on what insights it gives us about Alita and the world, these can be implemented into the film.

I enjoyed Avatar and don't get the backlash against it. The most anyone can say is that it's similar to past films like Dances with Wolves. So what? This on an anime forum when the medium that prides itself on robots, cat girls, moe, harem comedies, etc. etc. etc. over and over again? Wake up! Everything told has in some shape or form been done before. Get over your pretentious selves. In fact Cameron's past work inspires much sci fi anime. Other than that Avatar is a ground breaking film in effects and for science fiction filmaking and filmaking technology and the story and characters while simple and familiar are competently told and well constructed. I look forward to the sequels, and I hope that Cameron does use this opportunity to explore better concepts and stories now that he no longer has to worry about making a new property appeal to as many people in order to recoup costs. The franchise has been established well enough, so he can now take some risks on more unique storylines and more push the sci-fi concepts further...
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Well if Cameron is thinking long term, making Avatar 2 & 3 is pretty much to appease FOX and therefore get them to give him whatever budget he wants to inevitably make Battle Angel. Word is that they have put a lot of serious work and testing into a Battle Angel adaptation.

Cameron's own project Avatar took him 10 years to inevitably do. He's no doubt planning on pushing the envelope some more for the net films and prefect the technology further and inevitably use it for Battle Angel. It's a long ways out, but hopefully Last Order may be over by then and considering on what insights it gives us about Alita and the world, these can be implemented into the film.

I enjoyed Avatar and don't get the backlash against it. The most anyone can say is that it's similar to past films like Dances with Wolves. So what? This on an anime forum when the medium that prides itself on robots, cat girls, moe, harem comedies, etc. etc. etc. over and over again? Wake up! Everything told has in some shape or form been done before. Get over your pretentious selves. In fact Cameron's past work inspires much sci fi anime. Other than that Avatar is a ground breaking film in effects and for science fiction filmaking and filmaking technology and the story and characters while simple and familiar are competently told and well constructed. I look forward to the sequels, and I hope that Cameron does use this opportunity to explore better concepts and stories now that he no longer has to worry about making a new property appeal to as many people in order to recoup costs. The franchise has been established well enough, so he can now take some risks on more unique storylines and more push the sci-fi concepts further...

The native infiltration plot comes from John Carter of Mars which predates Dances with Wolves by like 40 years. But some brainelss internet morons would rather jump on a cyber fanoboi hate wagon than actually find out whether or not something is true.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't get how Avatar was huge. It seems that audiences today are idiots to get hard-ons only for CGI and 3D. Avatar was mostly a cartoon for God's sake. Didn't look real one bit.

To add insult to injury, that movie was a ripoff of Lawrence of Arabia, which had already been ripped off by The Last Samurai, so storywise, Avatar was one of the most unoriginal things I'd ever seen

- Guy is sent to help wipe out enemies.
- One thing leads to another and he spends time with the enemy.
- He studies their culture and beliefs.
- He likes them so much that he joins them against his own people.

Cameron can't outdo Terminator 2. And to say Avatar took 13 years to make or whatever. What a load of crap! Think about it, is he day in and day out for 10+ years thinking about it? It was shelved most of that time and maybe once in a while he'd add and change things, but to actually have it as the first thing on your mind for even half that time, you'd have to be some kind of nut.

Sorry, but I'd rate The Expendables much higher than Avatar because it wasn't trying to be what it isn't, it didn't market itself as one thing but turn out to be something else, it didn't disappoint and it met and somewhat exceeded expectations.

Last edited by the-antihero on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Avatar was mostly a cartoon for God's sake. Didn't look real one bit.

Could your hypocrissy be any more astounding? Jesus F***ing Christ.

Last edited by jsyxx on Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
I don't get how Avatar was huge.

For similar reasons to that of Transformers: Reveng of the Fallen I guess...I mean, BOTH films seem to have put equal attention to their scripts...
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:
Avatar was mostly a cartoon for God's sake. Didn't look real one bit.

Could you hypocrissy be any more astounding? Jesus F***ing Christ.

Avatar was mostly CGI, and it was so painfully obvious it looked like the backgrounds of Toy Story 3, that's a cartoon. Cartoons aren't limited to pencil and paper drawings.

Shenl742 wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
I don't get how Avatar was huge.

For similar reasons to that of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen I guess...I mean, BOTH films seem to have put equal attention to their scripts...

Yeah, it's easy to reach out to audiences these days, never learn from the crap Hollywood dishes out. Movie's are no longer an art form, it's all just to 'chillax' now. Real shame. Transformers could have been so much cooler and badass, but instead it was dumbed down for the horny demographic. Riddley Scotts would have made a better movie even if he had to base it on Super God Masterforce.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
To add insult to injury, that movie was a ripoff of Lawrence of Arabia, which had already been ripped off by The Last Samurai, so storywise, Avatar was one of the most unoriginal things I'd ever seen

- Guy is sent to help wipe out enemies.
- One thing leads to another and he spends time with the enemy.
- He studies their culture and beliefs.
- He likes them so much that he joins them against his own people.

The Arabs weren't the enemy in Lawrence of Arabia, the Turks were. Lawrence did exactly what he was sent there to do; organize an Arab revolt against the Turks. He was disappointed by the British's treatment of the Arabs, but he never considered fighting them. Not to mention that the Arabs aren't romanticized like the Indians, samurai, or aliens in those others movies.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
As for the news: meh, not like I care. I'm the only person on earth who hasn't seen, or bought, Avatar.

And I envy you because it wasn't worth what I paid for (nearly £10 cinema ticket). It's all about the visuals, because the story was not just unoriginal, but also poorly created.
Mm, perhaps because I enjoy Spielberg's films a lot more. Or just because Avatar's story sucked so bad, and none of the characters were likable. Besides that huge tree.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Avatar was mostly CGI, and it was so painfully obvious it looked like the backgrounds of Toy Story 3, that's a cartoon. Cartoons aren't limited to pencil and paper drawings.

Right becuase aniamtion is only bad when its made by Americans, right?

And Avatar had a good story. You're just a bunch of elitist snobs though that think your *insert moe fanservice show* is some how fantastic story telling. News flash, its not. And pretty much every anime ever made is several thousand times less original than the storyline of Avatar. I've probably seen two anime that didn't rip off other shows ruthlessly.

Another reason why animu fans probalby hate the film? They're a bunch of closet conservatives that get enraged by anything that has relavent social commentary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5