• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron's Next Films to Be Avatar 2/3, Not Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Okay. So James Cameron would rather make not one but two sequels to his overhyped, crappily acted, badly written, plot-hole infested piece of unoriginal garbage he and his posse of slobbering fanboys dare to call a movie, instead of bastardising a near-legendary Manga in a way only Michael Bay and Uwe Boll could in their infinite craptitude exceed.

. . .

Dudes and dudettes, we got off LUCKY.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
If we're talking Lucas from the original trilogy... sure. Yet if you take into account the 'modern' Lucas of the past ten plus years? Cameron has him beat.

I agree that the original trilogy is definitely better than I, II & III but as far as the story goes, I'm glad that Lucas made the modern Star Wars trilogy only because it enhanced the plot even further.

For the past ten years, Lucas has accomplished a lot in terms of expanding the Star Wars Empire. In terms of gaming alone , Battlefront, Lego Star Wars, Force Unleashed, Galaxies, etc. all these games were not only highly recommended hits in the gaming world, but any major Star Wars franchise is highly anticipated because of the quality and the reputation it has earned for itself. There’s a reason why Star Wars is still around today, it’s masterpiece from the moment it hit the screens, in terms of storyline, music, cinematography, everything, people were fascinated by its overall unique packaging, there’s no denying that.

While Cameron on the other hand, has been working on Avatar for the PAST 10 YEARS, and that's all he can bring to the table? The plotline is Dances with the Wolves or Pocahontas in Space. Avatar is about as entertaining, as me twiddling my thumbs while I pee. There’s no way…that there will ever be an Avatar Celebration/Convention in the next 15 years because as many people liked it, a HELL of a lot of people hated it too. It was a visually stunning movie with zero substance.

The Xenos wrote:
Hell, even as crappy and cliche as Avatar's plot was, it was more coherently paced and constructed than any of the prequel films. Hell, I don't think even think Avatar was a good movie, but it was streets ahead of the recent Star Wars films.

I disagree. The recent trilogy is not as bad as you’re making it out to be. It’s not, it’s honestly not.

Xenos wrote:
And if you found Avatar boring, heaven help you if you watch a real acclaimed film like, say, any of the numerous dramas in the Criterion Collection. Are kids really to ADHD today to watch Kurasawa stuff like Seven Samurai or Ikiru? Is a show like Mad Men a snooze fest because it doesn't have thousands of droids vomited up on screen?

Yes. Avatar was indeed a snore fest for me. You’re taking things out of context, because we were only talking about those two movies and you‘re hastily making assumptions. Since you’ve brought it up, I have seen both Seven Samurai and Ikiru by Kurosawa they’re terrific classics. Mad Men I’ve never had the chance to see, but I can say that Rear Window by Alfred Hitchcock, The Pianist, The Libertine, Reservoir Dogs, The Woman in the Dunes, and tons of other movies from different genres without utilizing overly intricate plotlines, highly notable actors, fancy CG, high production budget or "thousands of droids vomited up on the screen" were much MUCH more enjoyable than Avatar.

Have a good life.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
This whole discussions stinks of fanboyisms. You have one side saying they liked the film, and a whole group of others jumping down their throats and declaring how awful it is (even some who admit to not seeing it) while chastising it for things that most anime is guilty of itself and ignoring the fact that critically the film was generally very well received and scored quite well with critics and audiences overall.

I know it's now the cool thing to hate on it because it was the big blockbuster film and we're all cool anime fans who are soooooo beyond that, but get over it. There's billions of people in this world, and differing tastes to go with every one. People like something you don't? Deal with it and suck it up.

Let's also not forget this is primarily about his work on a new Avatar film instead of Battle Angel, which is the relevant anime link here. This is not a soapbox to start pissing matches over how anime is so much cooler and how Cameron is the devil because he made a popular and successful film which obviously makes him the devil in modern culture. If this is just going to be used as a soapbox with the anime link disregarded then this can just be locked now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:02 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
They are now going to ruin a good movie by making two sequels to it.

It was a pretty movie (not so much for the humans, which didn't look as great, as for everything else). It was not a good movie.

Quote:
The first movie had an extremely satisfying and thought provoking ending.

The thought that it provoked was "Why are you wasting all of the men and materiel? Just drop some rocks or whatever from orbit and be done with it!" It was an incredibly frustrating movie because the evil corporation/military was just so poorly handled.

Quote:
It was pretty much the perfect way to end that type of movie.

I wanted to see large explosions on the planet's surface, and blue martyrs. Then they could have a shot of PETA or human/alien rights activists protesting outside the company headquarters and large lawsuits being filed in court.

Avatar was pretty, but not very good overall. I'm not sure that prettiness will get me to go and see the next two Avatar movies. I'll avoid the trailers (which I do for nearly everything), so I won't know if the plots show signs of being decent or not.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
OFF-TOPIC

KAtchan15 wrote:

It’s true. You can say whatever you want, but Star Wars IV A New Hope ALONE, has more depth than Avatar and we both know it. And as for you claiming that Avatar is “the single most innovative, science fiction films of all time. Good luck with that one. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree.

i think you may have confused Star Wars with Blade Runner

depth? in star wars? Don't get me wrong i love star wars to death but its about as shallow as a kiddie pool.People don't love star was because of its intricate plot and complex 3-dimensional characters. its basically and amalgamation of everything awesome. The Prequels get even worse when Lucas tries to add a romantic sub-plot and fails terribly ("i hate sand it gets everywhere!" nice romantic dialog Lucas). The best thing about the prequels is that Bioware made KOTOR(which is much better than any of the prequels and even half of return of the jedi).

A lot of people harp on Avatar because of its plot, but any film critic will tell you that a movie is not just its plot. Presentation, score, directing and special effects all factor into a movie like Avatar. IMHO the film is worth seeing for the 3d alone, which is amazing. not that the movie doesn't have problems, it has them by the boatloads. but its not as bad as all the haters are making it out to be.

oh and before anyone starts name calling, i'm not taking either side in this ridiculous argument.

ON TOPIC: it saddens me that Battle Angle got delayed, but i'd be lying if i said this surprised me.
edzieba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:21 am Reply with quote
Remember that Lucas only directed one of the 3 'original' star wars films. And that A New Hope was the age old "boy rescues princess" plot, but with LASER SWORDS.

Bitching that a plot has been done before is missing the point entirely. If you only want to read stories with plots that have never been put to paper before, you're probably going to have to learn ancient Greek or Sumerian (or travel back in time to pre-written languages and listen to stories passed down through oral tradition).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
...(even some who admit to not seeing it) while chastising it...

Since I was included in this demographic, targeted even, I'll add an addendum to my words: I have no like or dislike for the movie or James Cameron.

It's just that I've never had the opportunity to see the movie without having to shell out cash for it.
I don't torrent, so don't go there.
HuskofDaimao

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I get the part that Avatar was a crappy movie--beyond crappy and overhyped, and personally I think he's wasting his time, but to be realistic .. who would a live-action Battle Angel movie attract? I think Cameron is just realizing that with the decline of anime popularity, and having already capitalized on his own creation which is now the highest-earned film ever, he would be wasting time withan old idea like anime adaptation. Battle Angel isn't even a pop-culture in Japan- and anything remotely close to anime pop-culture in America would be DB, Naruto, Bleach--why spend time on trying to boost the appeal for something new, when he thinks he has a much larger, more grandscale pop-culture / franchise than most else on his hands (which he does in many ways)?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
TJ_Kat wrote:
sequel to highest grossing movie ever

vs.

pet project with dubious chances of success

which would you give higher priority to?

Not to mentioned that anime and manga based movies have not been up to snuff with the last two ( DB & Astro Boy ) really bombed.

However making a sequel from the highest grossing movie ever also a massive risk. As the people who did " Speed".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I had never once said that Avatar was a bad film.

Also movies based from anime series did not have done well viewer wise as well as critic wise. Ever watched the live action movie of Dragon Ball??? or the 3D film of Astro Boy. The proof is there.

The only anime based movies that ever did succeed at a time was the Pokemon Movies.

Every other relesed bombed and the mombed like a massive nuclear bomb.

I dont blame Cameron for skipping Battle Angel which has high odds to bomb at the box office and focus on the Avatar series which unfortunately is 50/50 .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
Another thing that annoys me about that link I posted, is that Cameron seems to believe that he and his crew invented Motion Capture.

I'm sorry "performance capture".
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:01 am Reply with quote
Well this is not surprising. Cameron surely knows how well Dragon Ball and Speed Racer did at the box office and how well Avatar did. He can see that attempting yet another adaptation flop is not good business in these recessionary times, but he's banking on an Avatar sequal to do better, when both are just as risky in equal measure. Better the devil you know, then the devil you don't. Also let's face it, even the mangaka has run out of ideas with it too, so it's fading away with mediocrity and irrelevancy.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:00 am Reply with quote
Or far more likely, producing more Avatar sequels gets him more budget from studios for his future films, and more clout to make what he wants. If a studio complains "but all these other anime/manga adaptation have flopped" he can simply turn around and say "I'm goddamn James Cameron, my last two films grossed a total of $4.5 BILLION, you will gave me whatever budget I ask for to make whatever the hell movie I want to make".
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:51 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Or far more likely, producing more Avatar sequels gets him more budget from studios for his future films, and more clout to make what he wants. If a studio complains "but all these other anime/manga adaptation have flopped" he can simply turn around and say "I'm goddamn James Cameron, my last two films grossed a total of $4.5 BILLION, you will gave me whatever budget I ask for to make whatever the hell movie I want to make".

the guy made two of the most successful films of all time. he has more sway with the studio than anyone in Hollywood, they throw money at him and he basically just does whatever the hell he wants. So the idea that he needs more "more clout" with the studio is wee bit ridiculous.

Mohawl52 wrote:

Well this is not surprising. Cameron surely knows how well Dragon Ball and Speed Racer did at the box office and how well Avatar did. He can see that attempting yet another adaptation flop is not good business in these recessionary times, but he's banking on an Avatar sequal to do better, when both are just as risky in equal measure. Better the devil you know, then the devil you don't. Also let's face it, even the mangaka has run out of ideas with it too, so it's fading away with mediocrity and irrelevancy.

i doubt this has anything to do with it either. Hollywood is willing to bank on anime adaptations, and my bet is so will Cameron.

my bet is this probably has to do with finishing his own story with the avatar movies before working on an adaptation of someone else's work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5