• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Boils and Ghouls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qollocust

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
When I think of horror in any medium, I think more about psychological thrillers and creepy mysteries than any sort of monsters/ghosts/vampires (although ghosts do give me chills). The whole idea of things messing with your mind and not really being sure what is real is the most scary thing to me. Supernatural stuff jumping out to scare you I find laughable (which is why I usually find live action horror hilariously stupid).

Uzumaki is probably my favorite entry in the horror genre as it legitimately freaked me out. The setting was so isolating it made me feel claustrophobic and the fact thatspoiler[ there seemed to be no escape from the final fate of all the characters ]really disturbed me.
aizensama666

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the only anime that has legitimately frightened me was End of Evangelion. The whole movie is just psychological horror like Pink Floyd: The Wall. It really beats you down even if you haven't seen the series. Otherwise, everything else is just weird or creepy. Higurashi was almost scary but the "cutesy" parts were just too overbearing.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
for me the first 2 volumes of Dragon Head, which Erin brought up, were amazingly good horror (though could be classified as "psychological thriller" from a certain perspective). the first time i plowed through them i was both sweating and creeped out by the end.

volume three took the story in a vastly different direction, so i ended up being really disappointed and put it down for about 2 years.

recently i went back and re-examined it. the remaining volumes (so far; i've read through vol. 9 and am waiting for the last one to ship) are more apocalyptic survival, and delve into psychology and philosophy so the whole series has been really enjoyable and thought provoking in the end.

of course ... with all the psychology and potential madness, anything could be revealed in that last volume. i have no idea what might happen next or what the "big reveal" will ultimately be.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Lol, someone's been riding the Haunted Mansion ride a little bit too much... Very Happy

While Ghost Hunt was not scary, per se, it was most definitely more than a little creepy, especially The Bloodstained Labyrinth (I think it was that one). I remember sitting there and thinking, this is actually pretty decent for a horror anime. But only that arc; the rest weren't all that creepy. I was planning on rewatching that arc of Ghost Hunt for Halloween this year.

Also second, or third, or whatever for Samurai Horror Tales: Ghost Cat. That's one in my standard Halloween watching pile. Plus it's the prequel to Mononoke, my most wanted license ever, so it's totally awesome.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Video Games... Silent Hill 2. The scariest game ever -I had to play that during the day with people in the house; you couldn't play it at night by yourself.

Anime? Not *intentionally* scary.
Manga? Yeah.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:

I think Zac was just channeling Vincent Price from the original House on Haunted Hill. Then again, Vincent always did have sort of a potential sex offender vibe. . . .

Huh, I didn't realize the reference would be quite so obscure to people.
unready

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:04 pm Reply with quote
It's not Japanese animation, but when I was a small child, I loved Jonny Quest. I was very scared by the episode "The Invisible Monster." A scientist working with high-energy power generation or something puts too much energy in one spot and it turns into an unstoppable (invisible) monster that kills everyone on the island where it was created. Even at the end when it became visible because they paint-balled it, I was still scared (every time I watched it). When it was visible, it was pretty simple: a giant, upright blob with one eye and a mouth, but it was still scary. Invisibility and unstoppability were effective on me. None of the other villains ever scared me.

I'll second Alien, though. I was scared the first time I saw that as a teenager. The alien moved fast; you could never tell where it was; and it was unstoppable. The sequels are kind of like comedies by comparison. Or maybe I was just less jaded then.

I was in college when I read Lovecraft. I think the thing that's scary about his stories isn't that his monsters (elder gods or whatever) are powerful. It's that they drive their victims insane. There were some cheesy (un-scary, imo) movies made back in the 1980s (Re-animator et al.).

I also think that vampires could be scary. They just need to be made scary. The BBC series Ultraviolet (not the trashy Mila Jovovich film) is available on Hulu. I think it's pretty good. Unfortunately there's too much emphasis on making vampires sexy now. Plus if anyone made them really evil, there'd probably be a backlash of angry goths claiming prejudicial cultural stereotyping.

I read an epidemiological study about a year ago that was based on zombies. Basically the researchers took standard computer models and (for fun, obviously) applied them to zombie-ism as it's portrayed in film (multiple variations). Their conclusion is that virtually nothing works (extermination, quarantine, etc.). In every model but one the world becomes 100% zombies. The only thing that works at all is inoculation (assuming an inoculant exists), but even then the world ends up being mostly zombies. I think the closest thing I've seen to that is the first remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the one with Donald Sutherland and Veronica Cartwright, which ends with Veronica Cartwright thinking she and Donald Sutherland managed to survive the invasion, but she's wrong....
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you mentioned the X-Files. I remember more than one non-canon episode that really scared the bejeezus out of me when I was in high school. One in particular dealt with an episode in the forest where people were being stalked and murdered/eaten by mutated humans with Predator-like camouflage and spooky, glowing red eyes; scared me out of my wits.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I will join on the higurashi is best horror anime bandwagon

also "Um, the "Bloody Labyrinth" arc of Ghost Hunt. I frequently have dreams where I am wandering through a big rambling house like that, so the images of the anime easily slipped into my dreams. It didn't scare me right away, it scared me the night after."

I have to agree with this. that arc did legitimately scared me
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

I think Zac was just channeling Vincent Price from the original House on Haunted Hill. Then again, Vincent always did have sort of a potential sex offender vibe. . . .

Oh, man! I totally forgot about that part of the ride/attraction! I knew it sounder familiar.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Zac wrote:
Takeyo wrote:

Oh, man! I totally forgot about that part of the ride/attraction! I knew it sounder familiar.

ya I remembered it after I saw it
Relmstein1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Kakurenbo. The battery tower at the end just freaked me out.

Also I found Gantz to be very creepy at times. It didn't fall into the trap of trying to explain everything and kept things very surreal.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Relmstein1 wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Kakurenbo. The battery tower at the end just freaked me out.

Also I found Gantz to be very creepy at times. It didn't fall into the trap of trying to explain everything and kept things very surreal.

I thought Erin did mention that one? But I don't think anyone went into much detail.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
No manga, even horror, has ever actually scared me, but Alan Moore's From Hell chilled me to the bone. I couldn't bring myself to read it more than a few chapters at a time and I still occasionally have nightmares about some of the later parts of the story.

Oh God, THIS. *shudders*

As a bonus, loved all the Haunted Mansion motifs in this episode. Smile
Thunderbird-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
If someone doesn't give me the full name of "Neiaru-kun/Neiaru-tan" whatever the heck it's called I'm going to go insane!

Oh and I think I prefer "Creepy" horror anime to ones that are actually scary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6