• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:12 pm Reply with quote
IvoryBirch wrote:
Hmm, I'm jumping into this debate rather late, but I've been following along relatively closely and would like to needlessly voice my opinion. Personally, I feel that the ostensible censorship has been a bit exaggerated, but I don't completely approve. This is directed mostly toward Yami no Matsuei, which seems to be getting less attention in this thread, but whose censorship I feel to be worse. Reading the edited scene of I"s in context, I really don't find the stars to be that big of a deal. Certainly, it looks very silly, but since it's just a photo, it wouldn't be as bad as if the nipples in question were being covered during, say, a sex scene. The original scene wasn't sexual in content; it appears to me to be humorous, gratuitous nudity. Not that I'm opposed to gratuitous nudity, but edited it out really is not grave violation of freedom of expression of anything.

On the other hand, Viz edited a scene in YnM because of what it inferred. Considering that homosexual subtext is pretty prevalent in YnM, I think the editing was pretty unnecessary. Granted, it doesn't hurt the story much and is a pretty minor detail, but I don't Viz's reasoning behind the decision. Perhaps I am more bothered by the editing in Yami simply because I'm a fan of the series, whereas I have not read I"s, so any biases should be taken into account. That is all - continue "debating" as you please.

Thank you, and I completely agree. Stars on nipples vs removal of a sexual partner? Which is worse? Rolling Eyes

Treeloot wrote:
Let me get this straight, you took back ALL YOUR VIZ MANGA VOLUMES TO BORDERS OVER 1 [expletive] LETTER CHANGE? You idiot, you didn't hurt Viz at all, you only hurt Borders. They have to spend time putting all that stuff back, and possibly can't sell some of it anymore. I'm not even sure I believe what you said, because I've never heard of Borders giving you cash for your gift cards, OR taking back a ton of shit, that you probably didn't have reciepts for. You're just being a stubborn, idiotic fucker, trying to hurt Viz, who's hurting his/her local bookstore.

Um... if you read carefully, I think Zoro meant that he got store credit when he said "got a load of cash on return gift cards". Also, Borders return policy do allow you to return items with or without reciepts, even after the normal 30 days. I've done it a few times after rethinking which manga was worthy of keeping or not (and these were bought 10+ months ago). The only restrictions are that the item(s) you are returning has to be 1) in good, sellable condition 2) was bought from Borders [they check their database] and 3) is still currenly being sold at Borders. As long as you fulfill those 3 requirements, the Borders' staff usually don't question your motive of return, and will give you a Return Gift Card with the current price the returned items are selling at (although they may shoot you an annoying look, since they have to go through the trouble of checking the database if you really are returning an item of theirs). Although, be warned that if you do this type of return too many times, you could be blacklisted (or so my bro's fiance tells me while accompanying me on my 'return manga trip').

So, Treeloot... take a deep breath.. and breathe...

Borders don't lose money at all from this, because there will always be other people who buy the returned manga. Plus, considering the return is in the form of store credit, you have to spend that on items from their store anyhow -- meaning, no money lost at all. And if Zoro had refused to purchase any other translated mangas, then it's his lost, which ultimately causes Borders to earn a nice amount of profit without selling any items.

Extra note: Whatever checking system Borders has of their sold items, it works. Just for the heck of it, I tried to see if I could return some anime DVDs (unopened, still wrapped) that I won, and that was a big negative. Lol. But they were nice about it and said "I don't think you purchased this item for our store" or "There was no history of this item being sold at our store". So, yea.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't care whether a Japanese creator is "fine with" a manga edit. I don't want it regardless. I want the translation of the Japanese version (Zoros and all), with no content edits of any kind, regardless of whether they ask permission first or not. Chalk this up to another "US companies can't argue against scanlations" point.
Erufu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Personally, I don't care whether a Japanese creator is "fine with" a manga edit. I don't want it regardless. I want the translation of the Japanese version (Zoros and all), with no content edits of any kind, regardless of whether they ask permission first or not. Chalk this up to another "US companies can't argue against scanlations" point.

Agreed. I don't really care if they went to the trouble of asking a mangaka for "permission". How do we know it didn't go something like "OK, if you don't allow us to do these edits, we won't publish the manga?". I doubt it, but, honestlessly, what is the point? There is no point. I don't care if edits are approved by creators; as long as they didn't appear in the original Japanese version, they shouldn't be there.

If they are tailoring it to American audiences, then they are surely wrong about this. Apparently, this outrage says that American fans want nipples. Maybe not neccessarily nipples, but we want the original artwork the way it was meant to be.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
(Zoros and all)

It's kind of unfair to use that as an example, since they didn't really have as much of a choice in that case. Remember, it WAS originally printed as Zoro (or Zorro, can't remember) in the earlier editions of of Shonen Jump. I believe they made this change after 4Kids did, who probably made the change due to possible copyright issues over the name.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Godaistudios"]I seriously doubt however that Katsura said, "Hey, let me add stars to this before you release it in America."[quote]

I didn't see it that way at all. I saw it more as Viz saying, "We'd like to cover this to be safe." and Katsura said "That's fine." =/ Not that Katsura was like "oh hey, I'll edit this for you!" O_o;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Ohoni wrote:
(Zoros and all)

It's kind of unfair to use that as an example, since they didn't really have as much of a choice in that case. Remember, it WAS originally printed as Zoro (or Zorro, can't remember) in the earlier editions of of Shonen Jump. I believe they made this change after 4Kids did, who probably made the change due to possible copyright issues over the name.

That's kind of silly though. One is in a completely different language -_-; although I'm not sure if Zoro has a specific meaning in Japanese or not... ::shrugs:: But were copyright issues ever raised against One Piece? I've never heard about it, if there were..
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
I seriously doubt however that Katsura said, "Hey, let me add stars to this before you release it in America."

I didn't see it that way at all. I saw it more as Viz saying, "We'd like to cover this to be safe." and Katsura said "That's fine." =/ Not that Katsura was like "oh hey, I'll edit this for you!" O_o;

That's exactly my point... it's not as if Katsura took the initiative to censor it. I'm seeing this as Viz's doing. Mad
It's just that their reasoning fails logic in every way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kal wrote:
That's kind of silly though. One is in a completely different language -_-; although I'm not sure if Zoro has a specific meaning in Japanese or not... ::shrugs:: But were copyright issues ever raised against One Piece? I've never heard about it, if there were..

You have heard of "Zorro", right? The guy with the sword in the books and the comics and the magazines and the live action TV show and the movies and the cartoon? I guess you can see where the trouble might start from here. Are they being too cautious? Possibly, but if the lawsuit hammer ever came down, they could be deader than dead. This was more of a 4Kid's concern, though - they were airing it on a widely available network. Viz, a comic book publisher for a niche market, obviously didn't really care at first.
E_X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:18 am Reply with quote
It's very comforting to see you people so concerned about this. For me it's not about watching nipples or geting sexual inuendo, it's just reading the title as it was created by the mangaka. This is where licensing fails, it doesn't make me happy at all to hear a title has been licensed if all i'm going to get (after paying MY money for it) is a butchered version.
Kal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
Kal wrote:

You have heard of "Zorro", right? The guy with the sword in the books and the comics and the magazines and the live action TV show and the movies and the cartoon? I guess you can see where the trouble might start from here. Are they being too cautious? Possibly, but if the lawsuit hammer ever came down, they could be deader than dead. This was more of a 4Kid's concern, though - they were airing it on a widely available network. Viz, a comic book publisher for a niche market, obviously didn't really care at first.

Of course I've heard of Zorro, but I still feel like it's too much of a precaution, considering Zorro isn't exactly considered part of the today's modern culture (or at least... I don't it is..). Would companies really sue on the spot without giving any warning?

E_X wrote:
It's very comforting to see you people so concerned about this. For me it's not about watching nipples or geting sexual inuendo, it's just reading the title as it was created by the mangaka. This is where licensing fails, it doesn't make me happy at all to hear a title has been licensed if all i'm going to get (after paying MY money for it) is a butchered version.

Well, the fact is, reading the title as it was created by the mangakas in this case was having the nipples and sexual innuendo there... I doubt YnM would be what it was without all the sexual undertones. So yes, whee for the butchered version Rolling Eyes
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Remember, it WAS originally printed as Zoro (or Zorro, can't remember) in the earlier editions of of Shonen Jump. I believe they made this change after 4Kids did, who probably made the change due to possible copyright issues over the name.

There's absolutely no reason why Shonen Jump would have to follow the 4kids show's lead. After all, Shonen Jump's Yugioh character have COMPLETELY different names from their tv counterparts (for example Honda is named Tristan in the 4Kids version), same with Shaman King. Why did they feel the need to spread eagle in the case of One Piece?

Quote:

You have heard of "Zorro", right? The guy with the sword in the books and the comics and the magazines and the live action TV show and the movies and the cartoon?

I don't actually think anyone owns the rights to Zorro. He's been around long enough that I think he's public domain. Either way, the character on the show has almost nothing in common with the Mexican bandito of justice, so it's doubtful that trademarks would come into play, any more than the owners of the character James Kirk being sued by the owners of James Bond.
Ryo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
this was done by the north american market at Viz's request. I belive it's been mentioned that his work is published in Europe with the nipples.

That is correct, I have all 15 french I''s volumes and didn't notice any difference from the scans I had. Knowing the rest of the serie, I'd say these two options are available to Viz:

- keep on editing, because there are a lot of panels like this coming up. That means it won't even be I''s anymore.
- stop editing. That means this one edit would look even more stupid and out of place because of what happens later on.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:56 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
I adhere to the sentiment, "If you have to censor it, don't license it." It's not doing the fans any favors.

I quite agree. This whole thing with cutting anime is a lot worse. They completely screwed over One Piece. I could barely listen to the voice acting for more than a few seconds. If Tokyopop and DelRey can plastic wrap a title and slap a sticker on the front, so can Viz.

Last edited by .Sy on Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course I've heard of Zorro, but I still feel like it's too much of a precaution, considering Zorro isn't exactly considered part of the today's modern culture (or at least... I don't it is..). Would companies really sue on the spot without giving any warning?

Perhaps it is, but there's still that possibility, a big enough possibility for them to change it. It's easy for us to sit around and say "Pfft, they can get away with it!", but it IS risky for them.
Ohoni wrote:
There's absolutely no reason why Shonen Jump would have to follow the 4kids show's lead. After all, Shonen Jump's Yugioh character have COMPLETELY different names from their tv counterparts (for example Honda is named Tristan in the 4Kids version), same with Shaman King. Why did they feel the need to spread eagle in the case of One Piece?

Possibly the same fear of the copyright issue came up or maybe even some other outside force. I couldn't tell you for sure.
Quote:
I don't actually think anyone owns the rights to Zorro. He's been around long enough that I think he's public domain. Either way, the character on the show has almost nothing in common with the Mexican bandito of justice, so it's doubtful that trademarks would come into play, any more than the owners of the character James Kirk being sued by the owners of James Bond.

Last I checked, Disney still owns the rights. Remember, the last movie was in 1998, which really isn't all that long ago.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Perhaps it is, but there's still that possibility, a big enough possibility for them to change it. It's easy for us to sit around and say "Pfft, they can get away with it!", but it IS risky for them.
Ohoni wrote:

Possibly the same fear of the copyright issue came up or maybe even some other outside force. I couldn't tell you for sure.
Quote:

Last I checked, Disney still owns the rights. Remember, the last movie was in 1998, which really isn't all that long ago.

Please prove relative documentation and copyrights over Disney's ownership on the Property called "Zorro." One Movie is really not a smoking gun that "they own it lock, stock, and barrel."

Besides, if this site is right, Zorro is actually in the public domain since 1995.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10