• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Ryo wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
this was done by the north american market at Viz's request. I belive it's been mentioned that his work is published in Europe with the nipples.

That is correct, I have all 15 french I''s volumes and didn't notice any difference from the scans I had. Knowing the rest of the serie, I'd say these two options are available to Viz:

- keep on editing, because there are a lot of panels like this coming up. That means it won't even be I''s anymore.
- stop editing. That means this one edit would look even more stupid and out of place because of what happens later on.

I pick option two. Seriously, if it were to compare scene for scene with the chapter in volume 3, I'd still be annoyed (the joke is kinda ruined) but I'd still be able to live with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Perhaps it is, but there's still that possibility, a big enough possibility for them to change it. It's easy for us to sit around and say "Pfft, they can get away with it!", but it IS risky for them.

Last I checked, Disney still owns the rights. Remember, the last movie was in 1998, which really isn't all that long ago.

You're right, it's easy for us to go 'pfft' about it, but it's also an advantage because we're able to see things from both sides and realize that this is ridiculous. Also, I don't think it's really that risky at all. Although I've never studied copyrights issue, I doubt a big company such as Disney would sue Viz on the spot without any negotiations in btw first. That'll just make Disney look stupid. And might I add, it's not as if Disney has been following copyrights issue either (referring to the whole rumor[?] of Lion King/Kimba and Finding Nemo ordeal). Besides, if they had had a problem with the whole Zorro vs Zoro thing, they should realize that it's no big deal, considering that they are in the business of licensing Japanese products as well.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Quote:
Of course I've heard of Zorro, but I still feel like it's too much of a precaution, considering Zorro isn't exactly considered part of the today's modern culture (or at least... I don't it is..). Would companies really sue on the spot without giving any warning?

Perhaps it is, but there's still that possibility, a big enough possibility for them to change it. It's easy for us to sit around and say "Pfft, they can get away with it!", but it IS risky for them.
Ohoni wrote:
There's absolutely no reason why Shonen Jump would have to follow the 4kids show's lead. After all, Shonen Jump's Yugioh character have COMPLETELY different names from their tv counterparts (for example Honda is named Tristan in the 4Kids version), same with Shaman King. Why did they feel the need to spread eagle in the case of One Piece?

Possibly the same fear of the copyright issue came up or maybe even some other outside force. I couldn't tell you for sure.
Quote:
I don't actually think anyone owns the rights to Zorro. He's been around long enough that I think he's public domain. Either way, the character on the show has almost nothing in common with the Mexican bandito of justice, so it's doubtful that trademarks would come into play, any more than the owners of the character James Kirk being sued by the owners of James Bond.

Last I checked, Disney still owns the rights. Remember, the last movie was in 1998, which really isn't all that long ago.

Please prove relative documentation and copyrights over Disney's ownership on the Property called "Zorro." One Movie is really not a smoking gun that "they own it lock, stock, and barrel."

Besides, if this site is right, Zorro is actually in the public domain since 1995.

This may be true, but there is more to consider. Lawsuits can be time consuming and costly. It's generally easier to make a very small change to one small thing than it is to deal with the lawsuits.

Now if Viz had changed it to Zolo, and they had tons of other names in the manga that could equally be called out on copyright purposes and were kept as such, that would be another story. That's how I feel about the I''s edit. Putting stars on the nipples, while keeping material in there that is equally as sexually explicit, if not moreso, is foolish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kal wrote:
Thank you, and I completely agree. Stars on nipples vs removal of a sexual partner? Which is worse? Rolling Eyes

Indeed, I would assume that the latter would be of much more concern, but given the small of amount of discussion aimed at YnM in this thread, it appears that it's not as much of an issue. To each his own, I suppose.

I personally don't feel strongly about the Zoro vs. Zolo issue one way or another. Granted, it was a bit of an odd decision (and for some reason I have a strong urge to read "Zolo" as "Zulu"), but there have been worse name changes in the past. I mean, manga publishing in the U.S. has come a long way since I first started reading it, so I'm not in much of a position to complain.
E_X

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
[/quote]Well, the fact is, reading the title as it was created by the mangakas in this case was having the nipples and sexual innuendo there... I doubt YnM would be what it was without all the sexual undertones. So yes, whee for the butchered version Rolling Eyes[/quote]

What i meant is that i don't resent the fact that they are messing with the nipples and the sex scenes specifically, i resent the fact that they are messing with the manga at all. Boo for the butchered version! Cool
Kal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
IvoryBirch: La sighs... so it is... much saddened by it though Anime cry I deserve my lil BxB smut~!! Embarassed Wink Strong urge to read "Zolo" as "Zulu" huh.. makes sense ^^ Kinda ironic, because I just did a double take on your nickname, if you know what I mean Anime smile + sweatdrop

E_X: Butchered version ... Anime dazed

Last edited by Kal on Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Besides, if this site is right, Zorro is actually in the public domain since 1995.

I'll see your website and raise you a Zorro.com/. Wink
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
.... They took the character out in Yami no Matsuei? O_o;

Jeez. I bet they're going to eliminate Volume 11 altogether. Anime hyper;;

Anyway, I don't really care about censorships, just as long as I get my manga dammit. (That definatly goes for One Piece)

Oh sure, I was a little irked when they changed the name "drastically". But I eventually got over it. -shrugs- I don't know. Maybe I'm just a carefree kinda gal. o_O;
Hiromi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've now been informed that Viz's preview of I''s in the current issue of Shonen Jump USA has received a few extra edits to censor suggestive material. In particular, sound effects have been added to cover bikini-shots and the dialog has been edited to remove mild innuendo.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Come on fan are already crying about the very minor edits you have already done. So what do you do? Add more edits! I just hopr this isn't a sign of whats to come with futrue releases.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That website with the edit list was done by my anime club's president, Scott VonSchilling. I feel special now. Laughing
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I am mystified by what Viz has done to II's. I remember the series being all about titillation with no subtlety. II's revolves around sexual teases. If Viz edits every single instance of that, there will be nothing left and absolutely no point in anyone looking at the series.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say there isn't anything worth left to it... I thought the characters and story (as a whole) were done pretty well. I do like how Katsura draws his girls though, and thought there was a lot of charm to be found in I''s, especially later on in the series. I was a little irritated on how the last part of the story was handled, but even so, I still enjoyed it to the very end.
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've now been informed that Viz's preview of I''s in the current issue of Shonen Jump USA has received a few extra edits to censor suggestive material. In particular, sound effects have been added to cover bikini-shots and the dialog has been edited to remove mild innuendo.

Well they edit one thing and have to keep editing other things just to keep it clean. This could lead to some over-editing.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Quote:

Well they edit one thing and have to keep editing other things just to keep it clean. This could lead to some over-editing.

Yeah, that's the part that kills me. If they were gonna censor/edit it to tone it down, they should have jsut done it to the Shonen Jump USA and left it alone for the graphic novel. Keep it simple, you know?
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:55 am Reply with quote
Damn it's just gonna get worse especially some parts later on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10