• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Submit Summer Wars for Oscar Nomination

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
If Digimon: The Movie didn't win anything 10 years ago, I don't see this winning the Oscar either. But still, best of luck to Funi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
If Digimon: The Movie didn't win anything 10 years ago, I don't see this winning the Oscar either. But still, best of luck to Funi.

Well, Digimon probably wasn't even submitted to be nominated.

Not to mention that these two movies may be the same plot-wise, in a sense, but are still totally different.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:

:head-to-desk:

Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
It'd be interesting if they managed to squeak it in there. Right now the actual winner is probably a 65/35 tossup between Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon (personally I loved Toy Story 3 but Dragon just felt more fresh and unique, so I'm rooting for that one).

The third slot-lock is The Illusionist, which leaves 2 wildcard slots. I wouldn't bet money on Shrek 4 taking a slot, so that leaves 2 unreleased films, Megamind and Tangled, both of which are broad family comedies that don't stand a chance of actually winning but will be nomination locks, depending entirely on what the reviews and box office takes are for both films. If one or both of them wind up underperforming critically and commercially, Summer Wars has a shot at sneaking in. If they're both big hits and the critics are kind, forget it.

Edit: Tenchi reminded me of Despicable Me, which is a lock for the 4th slot. Critical and commercial surprise success from a newbie studio, combined warm sentimentality with comedy. So that leaves one slot truly up in the air.

Last edited by Zac on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Will there be enough films submitted this year for 5 nominations?

Taking into account the 3 apparent locks:

How To Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3

they'll need 13 others to reach the magic number 16 to activate the two additional slots:

Off the top of my head, I can only think of:

Despicable Me
Legend of the Guardians The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Mega Mind
Oblivion Island (seems like the only other anime film that anyone might bother to submit)
Shrek Forever After
Tangled

Will 7 other animated films nobody's heard of or will ever hear of again be submitted?

2002 and 2009 were exceptional years for animated films in terms of numbers, I think the norm will still be 3 nominees only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chocobolily

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
It would be awesome to see this nominated. Yeah, tough competition, probably wouldn't win, blah blah blah, I agree for the most part. But just seeing the little clip they play during the Awards would make me happy :D
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Will there be enough films submitted this year for 5 nominations?

Taking into account the 3 apparent locks:

How To Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Toy Story 3

they'll need 13 others to reach the magic number 16 to activate the two additional slots:

Off the top of my head, I can only think of:

Despicable Me
Legend of the Guardians The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Mega Mind
Oblivion Island (seems like the only other anime film that anyone might bother to submit)
Shrek Forever After
Tangled

Will 7 other animated films nobody's heard of or will ever hear of again be submitted?

2002 and 2009 were exceptional years for animated films in terms of numbers, I think the norm will still be 3 nominees only.

Well, there are animated films from other countries. I remember a few years ago a french animated film was nominated and I had never heard of it. Finding Nemo still won, but you get my point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh, pardon, I forgot to include Summer Wars itself in my number calculation; that means there'd still have to be 6 more foreign or indie animated films sumbitted to get 5 nominations.

I freaking loved Mai Mai Miracle at Ottawa International Animation Fest last year, and it won the award for animation at FantAsia, but lack of a North American distributor will keep it from being submitted for Oscar, and next year will be too late for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
…] lets be frank here, its not gonna win, and anyone who thinks otherwise has never seen an academy awards ceremony, its embarrassing that we even give half a shit about this awards show […]
It is, and it's unfortunate to an unoverestimable extent that this one largely back-patting ceremony in such a conservative country holds such a weighty affect on film distribution and attendance the world over, but it shouldn't be overlooked that it did wonders for Spirited Away (and so much more than I can list here by extension; just think, annoying as it that anything animated and outside of Hollywood now seems to bear this label in some form, of all that's since rode here with a likening to Ghibli and Miyazaki Hayao as a point of reference in its press releases and reviews) and The Secret of Kells (not so much for Persepolis, through a combination of it coming a bit late, not needing it as much and the nod not being so effective for adult-aimed features but those are whole other rants). With Spirited Away it corresponded with Ghibli consciousness nearing critical mass despite Disney's best attempts to bury the films and opened the floodgates for the release of that everywhere outside of East Asia, that it actually won it is an extra boost as well, but the point I'm getting to is that the American success of The Secret of Kells was a double act between that nomination (itself made possible thanks to GKIDS getting it eligible) and GKIDS's incredible dedication to their "grass roots" promotion throughout this year. Oscar nom. or not (I'm expecting not, with The Illusionist to compete with), FUNimation collaborating with GKIDS, for this and so potentially other releases (and so potentially including family-aimed anime like Komaneko that otherwise wouldn't get English-land distribution at all), is incredible, satisfying news of things moving in a positive direction for a change. Even without another Oscar boost, they've built up up a huge following with some thanks to the last one of people who will actually go out and put both their money and their feet where their mouth is and see the film in a cinema rather than on a notebook screen, given the opportunity and, importantly, if the distributor lets them know about it personally. I fantasise about having something like them here in the UK, where Kells has been poached by the tight-lipped token, digital-only release dumpers that Optimum Releasing have become: the worst thing about that being that even they're better than Soda Pictures, whom wouldn't have even got us a Blu-ray Disc (not a problem with Kells, which has the region-free US one, but is with Azur et Asmar and I expect will be with Kérity, la maison des contes)… And then that's all we've got, the BFI not having touched new family films since Kirikou et la sorcière and considering anything with appeal with appeal to under-12s to be unworthy of HD. I do think something like Summer Wars has a better chance in the animation category of general film awards than in something like the Annies, though; lip flap (which there looked to be at least some of in the trailer that is what I've seen of Summer Wars) is going to be a turn-off to a jury of animators but potentially more tolerable to general audiences that can be distracted by dialogue.

mdo7 wrote:
If Summer Wars gets a Oscar, then it'll be the second anime to win the oscar (Spirited Away was the first to win a Oscar).
Tsumiki no Ie got one as well (I'd hate for anyone to neglect the short subjects – another thing awards like these really help with as they help make the general public aware that short films are actually experienced and appreciated and worthy of those same golden men that are given to the features they know about), unless you mean the Oscar as in that for this category only.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
When might we start to see a schedule of theatrical releases? I'd like to know when it might be in Boston so I can plan ahead. A Google search of Funimation's site didn't bring up any theatrical release schedule.

Right now it just seems to pop up without much notice at festivals like the upcoming one in Minneapolis.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Summer Wars get, at the very least, a nod would be great beyond words to see, just given the Academy's overall attitude towards foreign animated films and anime ones not by Hayao Miyazaki (I don't think even a Ghibli film would win if wasn't directed by him, much less get nominated). Toy Story 3 has it in the bag for a variety of reasons, but if SW even acknowledged in the Oscars during the award announcements, that would be a major statement and it could help increase the awareness of great non-Miyazaki anime films out there, as well as the profiles of Hosada and Madhouse. (And at the same time, it's kind of sad that we are stuck here exalting how great it would be if an anime, or other foreign-animated, film was even nominated, much less being submitted and having a fighting chance at a spot.)

All that said, I am kinda of surprised that FUNimation apparently didn't submit Evangelion 2.0 (yet?). Maybe they didn't want the "Evangelion" name to overshadow SW's chances or it could be due to the film being just the second in the series and not possibly standing on its own as a standalone series, but you would have thought they would have tested the waters with a generally well-received film with a "prestige" title attached to it. At the same time, I can also see why it may have been excluded, given the previous example, and that, as good as it was, it wasn't on par with or as significant as Summer Wars was. Not a total loss, but still sort of interesting to see.

It has been a really good year for anime films, but I don't see the lauded likes of Mai Mai Miracle or Redline (or even King of Thorn or Oblivion Island, for that matter) getting nods, either, just for the simple facts that they are neither as well-known nor honored as SW was.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I give them credit for at least submitting. Sure, it's not going to win, and it probably won't get a nomination, but you can't win if you don't play.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Animated films I've seen this year:

Summer Wars
Shrek Forever After

Animated films that I think deserve the Oscar:

Neither of those two.

Forgetting Shrek, I'd easily put TS3 ahead of Summer Wars as a film that should get the award, never mind that it probably will (I can't speak for Dragon, as the trailer didn't advertise much to me; TS3 on the other hand has legacy, so I've got an idea of the level of quality to expect). If it gets the nomination, that's cool, more power to Funimation for brining attention to anime--but it's not an award winner.

Also, what's with the speculation about Evangelion 2.0? Is/was it even eligible for submission? In either case, that's a film that--while I consider an excellent experience--is not in my opinion Oscar material... it just isn't (the most obvious reason being that it's a sequel, and its predecessor was not even submitted to the Academy).
kiddtic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
i saw Summer Wars at an Anime festival here in
adelaide and it was great. just after the movie ended I thought to myself this is gonna be big worldwide...well big enough. FUNimation are making a right move to put this film up for nomination it reallty is very good.

i havnt heard the dub yet or seen the trailer but I will google it sraight away. TS3 might win yeah but that doesnt mean Summer wars doesnt stand a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
This is some big undertaking for Funimation here. I wholeheartedly believe that Summer Wars at least deserves an Oscar nomination. It has a lot of awards to back up its candidacy for an Oscar nomination. Hopefully it will help boost sales with this much publicity.

Now for a history lesson. I was very surprised to see that the Best Animated Feature category was debuted for the first time on 2001.

Winners of the Best Animated Feature

2001 - Shrek (DreamWorks Animation, Pacific Data Images)
Monsters, Inc. (Pixar Animation Studios) was nominated

2002 - Spirited Away (Studio Ghibli, Toshio Suzuki)
It is the first anime movie to win the award. It is also the first (and so far only) non-English speaking animation to win the award.

2003 - Finding Nemo (Pixar Animation Studios)

2004 - The Incredibles (Pixar Animation Studios)

2005 - Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Aardman Features and DreamWorks Animation)
Howl's Moving Castle (Studio Ghibli, Toshio Suzuki) was nominated

2006 - Happy Feet (Kennedy-Miller Productions, Animal Logic Films)
Cars (Pixar Animation Studios) was nominated

2007 - Ratatouille (Pixar Animation Studios)

2008 - WALL-E (Pixar Animation Studios)

2009 - Up (Pixar Animation Studios)

2010 - TBD

Since 2007, Pixar Animation Studios has went 3-for-3 for the Best Animated Feature category. They have an overall record of 5-for-7 for a 71.43% winning percentage.

Summer Wars may be an underdog but I would hope it gives Toy Story 3 a good fight. I also hope that it makes the cut as the one of the Oscars guideline for being a nominee for Best Animated Feature is as follows:

Anime News Network wrote:
The Oscars rules are such that if there are 16 eligible films for the Best Animated Feature, there will be a total of five nominees; if there are fewer than 16, the pool of nominees will be only three.

I have not been been keeping up with movies these days. Does anyone know if there are at least that many animated movies released in 2009?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4