• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Submit Summer Wars for Oscar Nomination

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
To weigh in on other Oscar contenders...

I did not like Despicable Me. It was so incredibly meh. The moral was cloying, the jokes were sparse, the little girls were underdeveloped. It wasn't necessarily awful, but it lacked the spark that Pixar tends to give to its movies effortlessly.

How To Train Your Dragon I still need to see.

Megamind, I have no idea whether it will be awful or good.

Tangled...around the point I realized the horse would be a character I lost interest in this movie.

The trailer for The Illusionist looks intriguing, though I don't know how I feel about the mix of CG on the cars etc. and traditional style.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I was very surprised to see everyone love How to Train Your Dragon so much and say it's a definite Oscar nominee for Best Animated Feature. I found it entertaining but in a forgettable sort of escapist way and would have completely forgotten it if people didn't keep bringing it up as amazing. Clichéd, mildly amusing, too tame and predictable to ever be genuinely exciting (not that I'm trying to tell people they should feel it is this way; that's just how I felt about it when I watched it). What did I miss that pushes it above other Dreamworks stuff?

(EDIT: To try to prevent as much hostility as I can, I did find the movie fun and liked the dragon art design; I just didn't find it much more than ephemerally adequately entertaining. So please don't think I'm insulting the movie.)

Last edited by DrizzlingEnthalpy on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Lapin noir wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
If Summer Wars gets a Oscar, then it'll be the second anime to win the oscar (Spirited Away was the first to win a Oscar).
Tsumiki no Ie got one as well (I'd hate for anyone to neglect the short subjects – another thing awards like these really help with as they help make the general public aware that short films are actually experienced and appreciated and worthy of those same golden men that are given to the features they know about), unless you mean the Oscar as in that for this category only.

*went to Wikipedia and look up Tsumiki no Ie *

Oh, I wasn't aware of that short animation. Thanks for informing me that. I didn't know of this. Beside this and Spirited Away, were there any other anime that I wasn't aware of that got nominated or won a oscar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Why do some people think that FUNimation is wasting their time with this just because Toy Story 3 is obviously going to win? Who cares? Just getting a nomination would be a phenomenal development for this film and non-Ghibli anime in general. I am really hoping it does.

If there are five nominees, it has a very good chance. However, if there are only three (which seems likely), then it's going to have a very tough time competing with The Illusionist.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:03 am Reply with quote
Sam: It's not foreign animated films which the Academy's prejudiced against; it's films with mature subject matter, which is why Triplets got in, but not Bashir. And Eva 2.0 being even considered would depend on having watched Eva 1.0.

vash: Despicable Me looked like a remake of Bebe's Kids w/ a white cast, so I didn't bother. Laughing

Pepperidge: Well, it's only a waste of time if FUNi submits it half-assed like other anime companies before it.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Lapin noir wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
If Summer Wars gets a Oscar, then it'll be the second anime to win the oscar (Spirited Away was the first to win a Oscar).
Tsumiki no Ie got one as well (I'd hate for anyone to neglect the short subjects – another thing awards like these really help with as they help make the general public aware that short films are actually experienced and appreciated and worthy of those same golden men that are given to the features they know about), unless you mean the Oscar as in that for this category only.

*went to Wikipedia and look up Tsumiki no Ie *

Oh, I wasn't aware of that short animation. Thanks for informing me that. I didn't know of this. Beside this and Spirited Away, were there any other anime that I wasn't aware of that got nominated or won a oscar.

There was La Maison En Petits Cubes by Kunio Katō, and which streams at Crunchyroll. It totally looks and feels French but its a Japanese production team. It really is brilliant. One of my all-time favorite anime.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-02-22/kunio-kato-le-maison-en-petits-cubes-wins-oscar
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Sam: It's not foreign animated films which the Academy's prejudiced against; it's films with mature subject matter, which is why Triplets got in, but not Bashir. And Eva 2.0 being even considered would depend on having watched Eva 1.0.

Absolutely true, which certainly played a role in Persepolis losing to Ratatouille, as well spoiler[(to reiterate my tagline whenever I think of this: "I don't care what anyone says, there is no freaking way Ratatouille was a superior film to Persepolis!")[/mini-rant]]. Unfortunately, the "animation is for children" stigma still has a hold on the big awards.

Though while meeting both criteria spells certain doom, the "foreign" aspect still has an effect on a film's chances at winning in a "major" category spoiler[(not to demean the other categories as being "minor" in importance or merit… never liked that sort of distinction)], especially if there is a strong and/or popular domestic film present. The U.S. isn't alone (and it is rather sensible when you think about it), but a good "homemade" movie will almost always hold an advantage over a great one made elsewhere (cue some of the hand-wringing over Gladiator winning over Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon).

The Naked Beast wrote:
This is some big undertaking for Funimation here. I wholeheartedly believe that Summer Wars at least deserves an Oscar nomination. It has a lot of awards to back up its candidacy for an Oscar nomination. Hopefully it will help boost sales with this much publicity.

Now for a history lesson. I was very surprised to see that the Best Animated Feature category was debuted for the first time on 2001.

Winners of the Best Animated Feature

2001 - Shrek (DreamWorks Animation, Pacific Data Images)

IIRC, while the idea of reintroducing the "Best Animated Feature" category was floating around at the time, Shrek's critical and commercial success helped put it back into the Oscars. However, the bigger reason why it returned was because the Academy was trying to avoid giving it a "Best Picture" nod, which was also generating traction. At the time (and for a long time), the idea of an animated film garnering one was quite low (Beauty and the Beast having the then-sole honor around a decade before), but after last year's Up…how times have changed. Don't be surprised if Toy Story 3 gets one, too. spoiler[(Summer Wars? Aha-ha-ha-no Laughing )]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
i think Tokikake had better chances/the better Oscar pedigree than Summer Wars but seeing as Tokikake didn't even make it... well they'll have their work cut out for them getting this thing even into the shortlist.

and i agree about How To Train Your Dragon, i'm glad of the love it's getting from the people here and not shunning it just because "it's Dreamworks". it has a lot of anime-ish elements anyway (aside from the obvious Totoro/Miyazaki influences) like the character interaction and development, the sweet clever quirks, and how the film draws you to it for no specific reason despite the terribly unoriginal storyline.

anyway, before Summer Wars could get into that list it has to contend with The Illusionist first. then Chico And Rita could also come from behind and score that prized slot.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Dern: Well, as I pointed out in an earlier post, one of the Dragon co-directors praised Kon.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Beside this and Spirited Away, were there any other anime that I wasn't aware of that got nominated or won a oscar.
In the shorts, YAMAMURA Kôji's Mt. Head (Atamayama); DVD of his works out in North America soon under the title of A Country Doctor); in the features, Howl's Moving Castle. That is all. So 4 nominations including two wins, the recentness of even the short ones being more representative of how long it has taken anime to regain non-cult recognition outside of East Asia than the calibre of indie and theatrical short format animation in Japan.

La Maison en petits cubes and Tsumiki no Ie are the same film; I used just the rōmaji as it can be looked up and I found it easier to spell…

Bashir bypassed it to Best Foreign Language Film. I don't mind an animated film more interesting for what it accomplishes with animation getting its nod elsewhere and freeing up the nominee slots for films that are of more interest as animation films. In principle; I'm less sure of this if it means that place being taken by Blot
Dernhelm wrote:
then Chico and Rita could also come from behind and score that prized slot.
If you thought The Illusionist's CG vehicles were unsuccessfully integrated (from someone who's seen that and Les Triplettes de Belleville, I found those of the earlier film surprisingly pleasingly at the time, particularly in comparison to the CG backgrounds in Spirited Away – which Belleville is very much mentioned in the same sentences as in the UK being released here in close proximity, if not the same day – and those of the newer one a further refinement but now behind the times in comparison to Howl's Moving Castle, funnily enough) this should put things into perspective.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
^ that makes just the two of us who are aware of Chico And Rita, huh?

anyway, back to HTTYD, it sure has got a lot of good things going for it. it's got a very solid soundtrack which a lot of critics are declaring a shoe-in in the Best Score category (much credit to John Powell for finally spreading his wings) and round it all off with a cinematography nod and you got a good position for even making the Best Picture nom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4