• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Princess Bride

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I liked Occult academy a lot. How is it, though, that Occult Academy is anything worthy in Erin's opinion? Would anyone buy a case of eggs if most of them were broken?

I guess that for a short series it is tolerable, but to say most of a show is worthless sounds like the show was better off not being made. Or maybe it wold have been better as a single movie.

Stream Worthy seems to encompass both Shelf Worthy and Rental Shelf titles. Just because a show is rated as Stream Worthy doesn't mean that Erin (or Bamboo) would automatically give it a Shelf Worthy rating if it was later given a physical release. Remember, Occult Gakuin can be viewed in its entirety for free.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I liked Occult academy a lot. How is it, though, that Occult Academy is anything worthy in Erin's opinion? Would anyone buy a case of eggs if most of them were broken?

I guess that for a short series it is tolerable, but to say most of a show is worthless sounds like the show was better off not being made. Or maybe it wold have been better as a single movie.

Stream Worthy seems to encompass both Shelf Worthy and Rental Shelf titles. Just because a show is rated as Stream Worthy doesn't mean that Erin (or Bamboo) would automatically give it a Shelf Worthy rating if it was later given a physical release. Remember, Occult Gakuin can be viewed in its entirety for free.

Remember, I created this graphic:

Although the egg analogy is hilarious, I don't expect every episode of a television series to be great. I would hope that shorter series would have a higher ratio of "good eggs," but the current anime production model is kind of messed up. Ristorante Paradiso should've been a 3-4 episode OVA, or a movie, but the production pipeline is set up for 12 or 26 episode shows without much leeway.

The first and last episodes of Occult Academy were awesome and I loved them. It had high highs and very low lows. A movie may have been better, although the premise was a very good television show premise.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I remember that. I'm glad that question wasn't on the quiz Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GuyverC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Only one problem with the GGG review...

Quote:
but by the end of season 2 our brave heroes are fighting inside of a planet-sized monster demon for the fate of not just Tokyo - not just Earth - but all animal life everywhere in the galaxy. It's a lot like Gurren Lagann in that regard; the foes get bigger and bigger and the last half of both shows take place in space.

Should be more like " GGG inspired Gurren Lagann's last story arc" considering the age of GGG and how GL was completely paying homage to it ( and many other series over it's run)...

But that's just me being picky over my love for GGG and other older series who inspired Gurren Lagann, rather than Gurren Lagann constantly being used as an unfair comparison ( since it's basically a mish mash of the most awesome stuff from other series, all rolled into one, without a lot of the MotW and filler eps. It's awesome, but not really a fair comparison in most cases)

But anywho enough with the mecha geekyness... Once again, it's awesome that you like GaoGaiGar so much. I'd love to hear your opinion of GGG FINAL ( The 8 episode OAV sequel) if you ever track it down... Since I doubt Media Blasters will ever license it... And there is only one other way to watch it... But since it has the uncanny ability to polarize the GGG fanase... Either you think it's beyond epic ( GL used it more than the TV series IMO ), or you end up not liking the new stuff it adds, and prefer the TV series.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I'm not surprised in the least that the columnist couldn't grasp that the purpose of the "little girl's ghost" is for Maya to reflect on her own relationship with her father, as well as spoiler[come to the realization that Waldstein Academy was built especially for her].

I understood that, and I know the character building and reveal were necessary, but they could've done it in a way that involved the plot more directly. When the ghost orphan wasn't Nostradamus' key they should've just moved on with the search. Wasting two whole episodes on that one little story was infuriating. It felt like a bad episode of Scooby Doo.

In all my time as an anime fan nothing infuriates me more than shoddy plotting, weak narrative that lacks focus and cohesion, and paint-by-numbers, lazy writing. In grand anime tradition I'm surprised the shows producers and writers didn't waste two other episodes on a pointless hot springs or summer vacation beach trip.

It's also kind of infuriating that they think such bad storytelling is ok. If my name were attached to this, I'd wanna make sure it was the best it could be, not pad it out with filler or churn out something ham-handedly.

Anime fans in Japan need to start demanding better writing and storytelling.

erinfinnegan wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Occult Academy. Don't get me started. Like you I loved the first ep. It gave me hope... which the rest of the show promptly ground into the dirt under its boot heel.

Haha, it's like Maya is stomping in the viewer's faces with her high heeled shoes.

Yesssss Mistress! *whimpers* May I please have another!

OK, does anyone else find it ironic that in the same post you:

1. Complain about anime fans putting up with bad story telling about an arc that many people see as a well done piece of character developement in the guise of an unrelated side plot. (Yes, it was a fairly predictable side story, but the character reveal was well handled and not entirely expected given that it seemed unrelated to the main plot.)

2. Fawn over an over-used plot device (dominatrix tsundere types) that is prototypical of said bad writing...

Anyway, I found it hilarious that Erin and Carl's reviews were in diametric oposition to each other. If you combine their reviews, you could get a 10 and a 0 by mixing the right parts...

I found Erin's take on the show to be closer to my feelings about it. I thought it was a good time, predictable in spots but with enough twists to catch me off guard once or twice, which is a pleasent surprise in any show, anime or otherwise. (The vast majority of shows are way too predictable.) The character development of the main pair was really well done and the SF and time travel aspects of the story were well thought out and well exectuted. spoiler[The ending was a bit creepy in the "Isn't she a bit old for the young Bunmei" sense, but not really any more creepy than the "Isn't she a bit young for the time-travelling Bunmei" vibe earlier in the show...]
I didn't mind the monster of the week format of the short story arcs at all. I found them to be fun, and switching between horror/SF story styles kept things fresh. spoiler[The final solution to the "Key" plot line (pun intended) showed that the hunting and pecking around in different places that always ended up not being really related to the key was actually forshadowing. There is a bit of an issue with the time-travel arc. (If Bunmei seeing himself is really the cause, why didn't he save the day the first time? What happened to change things? I think the more logical explanation is that the evil witch succeeded the first time, but then the time travel opened a second way for the dimensional rift to open. That type of issue is common with time travel stories and I am a huge fan of them, so I am willing to give them a bit of slack.]

As for the aforementioned ghost girl arc, the reveal wasn't the only character development that happened in that episode. spoiler[Mikaze's monopolization of Bunmei and Maya's jealousy of it was also a key character development, for both Maya and Mikaze. It showed Maya's true feelings and Mikaze's obviously manipulative behavior started to show that she wasn't quite what she seemed. To work, that had to be done in a story arc that was not directly tied to the "Key", since Bunmei skipping out on a "Key" related arc to be with Mikaze would have been truly wrong of him, as opposed to just a bit clueless. So having that aspect in a story that was not central to the overarching plot was important to be able to do introduce it without making Bunmei seem totally in the wrong, or confuse Maya's reaction with disgust over Bunmei not taking the hunt for the key seriously instead of what it was, plain, old fashioned, green-eyed-monster jealousy!]

I would definitely say it is streamable, since I just finished streaming it... Laughing
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
Episodes like the ones with the young ghost were not just throwaway to me. To just "move along" because spoiler[ the girl was not the nostradamus key] for instance would have been wrong because these characters are not cold-hearted and they wanted to attempt to resolve that issue.

I just want to say that I am in favor of the "useless" episodes. I don't always need to focus on the whodunit. I didn't regard them as something wasting my time, because it's not like Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, etc, who have to intentionally stall for time with filler until it's time to get back on track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:

I liked the series as a whole, but part 1 was WAY better than part 2 in general, not just cause of the ending. It's almost like the team got 80% of their good ideas out of the way in the first half, and had to manage with what was left. That or a whole different team took over for part 2, it seemed that way sometimes. The difference in quality between parts 1 and 2 is so drastic it aint even funny (I marathoned the whole series in 1 go, so I felt the full force of the drop in quality).

But, smack talk out of the way, the episodes involving buildup to (and resolution of) the apocalypse that Erin mentioned were quite awesome. Kinda like how the buildup to and beginning rounds of the Pieta fight in Claymore set the bar so high that ultimately the end fell flat on its face...

Part 1 wasn't "WAY better", but it was better directed and paced. It was more coherent, one episode slowly built on another in a more subtle manner, and it had more consistent animation and direction. Part 2 was a mixed bag but it did have some pretty bravura sequences in the last 7 episodes or so.

But the show as a whole has always been simple a run of the mill genre show with well directed action scenes. Nothing wrong with that. I like genre shows if it's done well. Watching Corpse Princess is like me watching any of the run-of-the-mill 1940s-1950s film noirs I have on DVD. I like most of them, even if they reuse the same plot tactics over and over and have creaky acting and/or dialogue. While I'm not a huge fan of the "Wimpy boy + hot bitch who fight scary monsters" genre, Corpse Princess is one of the more casually entertaining ones of that type I find.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
HAHA! I thought I was the only one with Dilbert on my shelves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3