• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Sells Downloadable Manga via iPad App

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
I'd love to be able to get this but it looks to be US-only as usual. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Yo Viz, there's a Comic Application for PSP (and I'd imagine, eventually PS3), be the first manga publisher to get on that. You won't make millions, but assuming it's a future proof platform, you'll have breathing room.

Megiddo wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Have you seen the sales for the iPad?

Can I see them? Cause I'm sure they're squat compared to laptop sales.

Are you really comparing a single product made by a single manufacturer to that of an entire subset of an industry?

I'm comparing the operating systems between the two. I figured that Apple doesn't use the word "laptop" just like they don't use "PC", despite their products being laptops and PCs respectively.

Isn't what was up for debate? That this is a Windows world? Cause it is.

EDIT: To clarify, if this was for the iPhone then I wouldn't bother with this discussion, but since the iPad is nothing more than a thin laptop that can't do hardly anything that the laptop can, I'll jump on any fanboy who thinks that the iPad sales are anything more than a blip on the radar in terms of general laptop sales.
jyuichi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I'm comparing the operating systems between the two. I figured that Apple doesn't use the word "laptop" just like they don't use "PC", despite their products being laptops and PCs respectively.

Isn't what was up for debate? That this is a Windows world? Cause it is.

EDIT: To clarify, if this was for the iPhone then I wouldn't bother with this discussion, but since the iPad is nothing more than a thin laptop that can't do hardly anything that the laptop can, I'll jump on any fanboy who thinks that the iPad sales are anything more than a blip on the radar in terms of general laptop sales.

The use of the term notebook computer over laptop is not Apple only. xP

Why are people so negative that some people (over 7 million if you add the two quarterly reports) can buy manga for their chosen device? Its not like Viz went iPad only. The hate really isn't needed.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
Viz Media (and any other publishing industry), do whatever you want but please don't ever stop publishing manga (and books in general) the traditional way.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
You want Japanese comics the same day they come out in Japan. Move to Japan, the only way you could get them earlier is to squat in the printing press.

*shrugs shoulders* Oh well, back to scanlations then.

Yea you dont have to move to Japan, download scanlations, and its not even from things viz doesn't have, if scanlators can get the latest chapter down in 24 hours for free, why can't the big holders like Viz? they stepped up now they gotta walk the walk. This isn't promoting them its simply saying, if Viz wants sales for there downloadable manga they need to be up to date with the japanese chapters, otherwise its no different then paper releases, which to me kinda defeats the purpose of all this hullabaloo about selling digital
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Wow, and just a few days after announcing the digital Shonen Jump subscription supplement too. I guess VIZ is getting into digital on multiple fronts after dipping it's toes in with SigIkki and Sunday. This is an even bigger move, curious to see what they plan next Smile
Great news!
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
jyuichi wrote:
Why are people so negative that some people (over 7 million if you add the two quarterly reports) can buy manga for their chosen device? Its not like Viz went iPad only. The hate really isn't needed.
Because Viz possibly could see this flop and run away like they frequently do with only 7 million people, most of which are not of the target age to read shonen jump titles? While they have said they aren't limiting themselves, and android and other tablets barely have any install base, it's kinda silly to think this will do gangbusters with such a limited market. (Though yes, ipad owners are exactly the type of people to have tons of disposable income to use on manga.)

Dagon123 wrote:
if scanlators can get the latest chapter down in 24 hours for free, why can't the big holders like Viz?
Because Viz has to deal with those magical things called rights holders and contracts and negotiations and money? Maybe it's too expensive? Maybe some authors are holding out?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
This is probably all DRMed files, so I could care less.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
Sima Yi wrote:
This isn't their megaton-super big announcement is it? Because if it is... *YAWN* Neutral
This is big to me. I'd more leaning to having down-loadable manga that I can purchase along with my paper volumes.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
This is great news! I don't own an iPad and am leaning towards a Kindle myself, but any foray into the digital realm is good news to me. Hope they sell well enough to sell on Kindle!
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
This is a big step in the right direction! Viz for once actually doing something good. Lets just hope their releases are consistent. Also i need about $500 for a ipad Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mudduck454

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
well I had a feeling this was what they were going to announce, I had hopeed that they were going to announce a complete boxset for cross game, but I guess that is too much to ask
Scormio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
Sima Yi wrote:
This isn't their megaton-super big announcement is it? Because if it is... *YAWN* Neutral

This sums up my reaction entirely.

Personally, I'm not even a fan of online manga. I like reading it in book/magazine form, the way its supposed to be read.

Ignoring my personal opinion, why the iPad? I live on a college campus. Do you know how many iPad's I've seen? 3 Do you know how many laptops? Inumerable. This really isn't that big of a deal considering the laptop to iPad ratio is probably ~1000:1.

I was hoping this "Big news" was a large amount of new licenses or some big reprinting of a bunch of older series, but this feels like a letdown.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
Snore. The Shonen Jump news was more exciting. I guess this is a step in the right direction, but all of these book have been around for years.

Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Viz Media (and any other publishing industry), do whatever you want but please don't ever stop publishing manga (and books in general) the traditional way.

Agreed. I'm all for digital if it helps the industry, but I simply have no interest in reading manga off of a screen.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Call me when they or their Japanese counterparts decide to be concurrent to the Japanese releases.

If you want concurrent to Japanese release, you could just move to Japan. Doesn't get more cncurrent than that.

In English my dear. In English.

You want Japanese comics the same day they come out in Japan. Move to Japan, the only way you could get them earlier is to squat in the printing press.

Sunday's wish isn't an unreasonable one, though. It's already done with a lot of anime, and Viz themselves have already tried it with one manga (Rinne). People don't just turn to scans because they're free, but also because they're up to date, and in most cases, years ahead of the US release. If they want to combat scans, it makes plenty of sense for them to have concurrent releases online, at least for their most popular series. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that they haven't done so already. I predict with their online Jump and Bleach possibly leaving the magazine, they'll start posting the latest Bleach chapters online.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
This only further convinces me to get an iPad. Finally manga publishers are starting to see where the future is! (there's already at least one really good scanlation app for iPad)

I know this is only a starting lineup, but I could still jump on this now just for Dragonball. I don't have too much space in my room for physical manga and I'm tired of reading manga on my computer screen.

I just hope they eventually do at least catch up to be concurrent with US manga releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4