• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Butler GN 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Getting back on track.....

In many scholarly papers and works, many people assume that Jack the Ripper was Male, yet Yana Toboso proposes the killer (at least in part) was female in her storyline. Yet I can't really get over this feeling that Yana dropped the ball on her version of the Jack the Ripper. I just can't put my finger on it....
Painted Outlaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I'm pretty sure the reviewer hasn't read the character book, so unless Grell mentions being transgender within the context of the actual story, those who only read the manga will not know this. So please, give the poor reviewer a break!

KrisEllieOphi wrote:
How is Lissa supposed to know that? I really think this is an unfair attack. The fan book isn't published in America. And honestly, in the three volumes published so far here, there's no indication of what you're complaining about.

There's a thing called research the reviewer could do. I mean, just because the information's not said clearly in the volume tome, doesn't mean it's not available on the web. All it would take is a couple clicks around Google to pull up an article on Grell Sutcliff and, get the correct information on her. I'm sorry, I'm sure the reviewers always try their hardest to have the most correct information but this' a situation where they could've tried harder.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but it's also obvious that most of the readers didn't know, either. I mean I understand wanting to correct the reviewer but you can't blame her for not knowing every detail, especially since she's not the only one. And if you must correct, at least do it in a nice way.
kuriousity
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Nakarai Mako wrote:

There's a thing called research the reviewer could do. I mean, just because the information's not said clearly in the volume tome, doesn't mean it's not available on the web. All it would take is a couple clicks around Google to pull up an article on Grell Sutcliff and, get the correct information on her. I'm sorry, I'm sure the reviewers always try their hardest to have the most correct information but this' a situation where they could've tried harder.

Prior to posting my review, I did in fact do some searching about Grell in particular. I was curious to know how much longer they were to be in the series after their departure in this third book - they have such a huge fanbase! Most informational pages I came across speak of their gender-neutrality in comparison more with angelic figures but predominantly use 'he' to refer to Grell. There's also some great discussion on boards and sites out there that a simple Google search pops up about their gender, such as what's been poked at here. That was all interesting reading too (though I was always iffy about accidentally finding spoilers - tricky stuff!) yet male terms were still used in most places I read.

Again I state there is and was no offense meant in this choice of words but I stand by my choice as what I feel is most appropriate. It's a pity the English language isn't more accommodating when it comes to neutral gender identities for such instances. I wrote my review based on how I perceived the character and in the way I felt best matched the fans' as well.

Appreciated comments all the same of course - it's always great to hear others' thoughts on the same fictional material. It's the most fruitful part of writing and sharing reviews, and though of course we won't always agree, it provides no less food for thought.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Yes, female writers also make cute girls, but still, even if those girls are sweet, clumsy, infantile and in this way similar to moe girls created by men, they are never as sexualized and as artificial.

I'll give you the not artificial bit but Clamp discusses the fact putting Miyuki-chan in a schoolgirl outfit as opposed to PJ's to allow for more panty shots because one of their members is quite fond of panty shots.

I like Gilbert & Break.

Grelle is too offensive to be claimed as anything, isn't he? He's fun & all, but he's psychotic.
Get him on meds & stabilized & see who he is when he isn't trying to chainsaw massacre people. Honest, if he's transgendered, it's an insult--along the lines of people claiming homosexuals have a mental disorder. At the least he's a blatant stereotype.
I wasn't sold on his being sincere. A lot of it seemed to be to rub Sebastian the wrong way.
We need to see more of him to make a valid definition. Wikipedia calls Grelle male if you're that hung up on research. His clothes look male enough. I took him more as homosexuals I've come across who use the feminine pronoun about themselves & others.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Just finished the 3rd volume of BB and it was good, but not great. Personally, I feel the storyline could be much better. It has been ok until now, but there are still many questions to be answered. Though I am only 3 volumes in, I hope the character development becomes deeper, better understanding of Sebastain (where he came from, how he got his powers, fighting skills, etc.) and also the Phantomhive family's history. The annoying house maids, I think, could be funnier and add more to the story but for now, I think the store needs to be developed more and am looking forward to future volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3