• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN to Resume Streaming Oreimo, Togainu no Chi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
Sorry ikill, that still doesn't fly. It was announced it was taken down and that the leak occurred here on ANN. If it wasn't clear enough for you because it was in the "news" section then so be it, nitpick away if you're that desperate to find a flaw. At that point that is all there was to report, that's the bottom line. Regardless of the supposed flaws in my analogy that doesn't change the fact that if something doesn't exist you're not going to get it, and jumping on the offensive and making demands isn't going to change that.

Were the customers owed a quicker response? The title was taken down and they were told why and it was being looked in to at that point. It's a crappy situation but that was the situation, there was nothing more to respond with at the time. Again, thinking you deserve more and demanding it doesn't change the fact that what you ask for doesn't exist. As for the whole analogy, I'm glad you took that overly literal and over-analyzed it, I'm really happy for you, since it was meant to simply provide an amplified example of what was happening. Since that apparently flew overhead I'll leave it there since I have no intention of arguing with you about mortgages and banking practices on an anime forum in a thread about streaming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
I get why some people are miffed about how the communication (or lack thereof) thing played out, but I also understood why it played out that way, too. Whenever Japanese companies are involved - regardless of what industry we are talking about - we just aren't going to get the same response time we have come to expect from Western businesses. Frustrating, yes, but until the business culture in Japan changes, inevitable.
mdreura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
People see what they want to see I guess. I'm not telling people to shut up and suck it up, I'm telling them to at least be a little realistic with the criticisms and demands. I'm also not saying it as a mod but as a user, and it really amazes me that people still assume that just because a mod speaks it's somehow the official word of ANN. I'm still a poster like everyone else.

Understood, although if I walk up to the ticket counter at the multiplex, try to buy a ticket and the cashier tells me to take a hike, in context I would probably assume that was being said on behalf of the business and not merely the dude's personal opinion. Just saying?

Keonyn wrote:
It isn't unreasonable for customers to request service, but when there's legal repercussions and contracts between two entities the reality is that it's unrealistic to expect an official resolution before the entities come to one. It sucks, but it's the nature of the world and it would be the same in pretty much any business in a similar situation. It's also unrealistic to expect all the information regarding what happens before the determination occurs. Attacking something because it doesn't live up to unrealistic expectations isn't self-righteous or abusive, certainly not any more than assuming that something that wouldn't be possible will be given simply because a person demands it, that's far more "self-righteous".

This statement is confusing to me. You realize what people are waiting for isn't really the conclusion of ANN's negotiations, right? We were never involved at that level to begin with, for all we know negotiations between ANN and Aniplex are long-term and ongoing? That's probably what ANN (the business) is waiting for, but what the subscribers are waiting for is an update on their account status which pretty much anybody who buys anything online is entitled to?

Telling them for 3+ days you don't know anything about it and they need to take it up with the CEO isn't just irresponsible, it seriously borderlines on fraud. I'm sure you've heard of that scam where traveling salesmen get old people to pay them for home improvements and then never show up to do the work? I'm not suggesting ANN ever intended to keep the funds undeserved, but the parallels are frighteningly there. Accusing subscribers who are unhappy of being out of touch with reality and letting forum Subscribers heckle them is really heinous. ANN invited these people in!

Keonyn wrote:
Were the customers owed a quicker response? The title was taken down and they were told why and it was being looked in to at that point. It's a crappy situation but that was the situation, there was nothing more to respond with at the time. Again, thinking you deserve more and demanding it doesn't change the fact that what you ask for doesn't exist. As for the whole analogy, I'm glad you took that overly literal and over-analyzed it, I'm really happy for you, since it was meant to simply provide an amplified example of what was happening. Since that apparently flew overhead I'll leave it there since I have no intention of arguing with you about mortgages and banking practices on an anime forum in a thread about streaming.

With the greatest and utmost respect to you Keonyn, it's only fair to point out that you're the one who started it? Don't you feel a little hypocritical ranting about people being out of touch with reality, only to come back with this hyperbole about people wanting a million bucks from you? Pretty sure Splitter's not trying to rob you blind, he just wanted to know what happened to the five bucks your employer talked him into handing over, and not only was he blown off initially by nobody in particular, now you personally are heckling him for it. Like I asked before, is this really necessary?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Accusing subscribers who are unhappy of being out of touch with reality and letting forum Subscribers heckle them is really heinous. ANN invited these people in!

Hey, the openness of these forums is a two way street. Unlike most companies, we fully allow people to criticize us here, and as harshly as they please (provided they are not excessively rude).

But just as we aren't going to censor the criticism, we are not going to censor anyone who disagrees with the critic.

That said, I've already apologized privately to Splitter. Although I don't fully agree with most of his complaints, his main complain about the refund was completely justified.

Any further complaints should be taken to the feedback forum, we've strayed way to far from the original talkback topic.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Edit: oops, hadn't read to the bottom of the page.

For reference, Online Better Business Bureau complaint timelines are:
Quote:
Your complaint will be forwarded to the company within two business days. The company will be asked to respond within 14 days, and if a response is not received, a second request will be made. You will be notified of the company's response when we receive it (or notified that we received no response). Complaints are usually closed within 30 calendar days.
The BBB aspires to a standard higher than the bare minimum of not breaking the law.

The only obvious policy shortcoming from Online BBB practice is that the "Contact Us" page does not give an email address, paper mail address, and link to the feedback page for purchase complaints.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
Telling them for 3+ days you don't know anything about it and they need to take it up with the CEO isn't just irresponsible, it seriously borderlines on fraud. I'm sure you've heard of that scam where traveling salesmen get old people to pay them for home improvements and then never show up to do the work? I'm not suggesting ANN ever intended to keep the funds undeserved, but the parallels are frighteningly there. Accusing subscribers who are unhappy of being out of touch with reality and letting forum Subscribers heckle them is really heinous. ANN invited these people in!

Actually, from a business standpoint, yes. They (and, I guess, you - sorry) are really not in touch with the reality of business. Most refunds take three to six weeks to process. I own a small business, so I know what the law requires of me when issuing a refund. ANN took about three weeks to start the refund process, and now that it is in place, it seems that the refunds are being issued in a very prompt manor.

In addition, ANN was more forthcoming than most businesses are. Notably considering their partnerships with outside business entities. They actually have no legal obligation to explain anything to customers other than the refund options available.

As I said, I own my own business. If my business had been in this situation, I would have probably handled this differently in a couple of ways. I would have issued and immediate statement that "the simulcast/broadcast deal had been placed on indefinite hold and that all customers that had pre-ordered would be issued an immediate refund." That would be it. There would be not be any further explanation about what happened or why the refunds were issued.

IMO, ANN was more than forthcoming about what had transpired to cause this. Accusing them of fraud is frankly, ridiculous. If it had been MY business you were accusing of fraud after I refunded your money, I would probably be consulting my legal options against you. ANN probably won't do that to you. They are much friendlier (business-wise) than I would ever be.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
If it wasn't clear enough for you because it was in the "news" section then so be it, nitpick away if you're that desperate to find a flaw. At that point that is all there was to report, that's the bottom line. Regardless of the supposed flaws in my analogy that doesn't change the fact that if something doesn't exist you're not going to get it, and jumping on the offensive and making demands isn't going to change that.

I think you've missed my point though: That's ANN's problem. As I said, if they want to be a serious business, 'Sorry there's nothing we can do' is not an excuse. It's their responsibility to make sure there is something they can do. That's where the loan example applies. Just because you don't have the money that doesn't make it okay. It's your responsibility to make sure you have the money. That's my point.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I really have no intention of having a big back and forth with you especially since, as usual, you're already getting all nasty and resorting to little ad hominem attacks and sarcasm. More importantly though, I don't want to beat a dead horse here. I'm willing to put this whole thing behind me. As I said though, I hope for ANN's sake that they recognize that they did not handle this well and need to do better in the future.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
As I said though, I hope for ANN's sake that they recognize that they did not handle this well and need to do better in the future.

But given the situation, what in your opinion, could ANN have done better? If they made some kind of announcement without waiting for Aniplex's approval, that probably would have guaranteed that there would be no hope of resuming the simulcast. I'm guessing most people here would prefer that the simulcast resume as opposed to ANN rushing out a unilateral statement to satisfy the impatience of those who find 4 days too long to wait.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
People see what they want to see I guess. I'm not telling people to shut up and suck it up, I'm telling them to at least be a little realistic with the criticisms and demands. I'm also not saying it as a mod but as a user, and it really amazes me that people still assume that just because a mod speaks it's somehow the official word of ANN. I'm still a poster like everyone else.

Understood, although if I walk up to the ticket counter at the multiplex, try to buy a ticket and the cashier tells me to take a hike, in context I would probably assume that was being said on behalf of the business and not merely the dude's personal opinion. Just saying?

That's a strange way of looking at it. Personally, if I tried to go to a Cavs game, and the ticket taker told me to piss off, I wouldn't go for Dan Gilbert's head.

Though, if it did happen, I could act all offended and probably get free tix out of the deal.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
A quick question here: as I understand it, several of ANN's reviewers had already written preview guide entries, but they never went up because before Zac could post them the whole leak thing happened and the status of the show's legal streaming went into flux.

I know the preview guide is old and buried now, but I myself would be curious to see what the various ANN reviewers had written. Any chance we'll see them posted in some form somewhere?
Umeda_Isao

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
With streaming back up now, will ANN be continuing the art contest too?

I wanted to enter it until I saw it was taken down because of the episode leak a while back so I'm just a bit curious.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
So it's after 1:58 PM EST on the 13th, right? Shouldn't the 5th and 6th episodes be up now, or am I missing something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7