• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Michael Sinterniklaas and Stephanie Sheh on Gundam UC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Honestly, my favorite dubs have been 00 (especially by season 2) and UC.

Wow, now thats a combination. You just named my least favorite Gundam dub with my most favorite Gundam dub. Those are about as fare away from each other as you can get in my opinion. Its funny how different people perceive thing.
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
RedTail wrote:

Should be more interesting to see who they get to play Bright. It would be that character's fourth recast, the most of any other in the franchise. Not to mention he'll have to be recast for the first time in Japan too.

Four? Is that right? I thought it would be 3. He was recast in Zeta, and in the MSG movies, but wasn't the original actor still in Char's Counterattack?

Wheat St. James (gotta be an alias) was the very first English speaking Bright Noa in the MSG movie trilogy dub. He speaks with a British accent. Chris Kalhoon played Bright for Ocean's dubs of MSG TV and CCA. Dave Kelly plays him in Zeta Gundam for Blue Water. That's three VAs to date.
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
He was a better Char than Edwards was, that's for sure.

I shudder just thinking about the Zeta Gundam dub.

Oh c'mon it wasn't that bad. I actually thought Edwards did a good job sounding a lot like the original.

Blue Water did a pretty good job in matching voices to both Amuro and Char for Zeta Gundam. Matthew Erickson sounds like a more subdued Brad Swaile, which works really well for the older, jaded Amuro of the Gryps War. The problem with Edwards isn't so much that he doesn't sound like Michael Kopsa, it's that he can't emote when the scene calls for it. The guy always speaks in the same tone and comes off as really robotic.

Quote:
I'm having a lot of trouble processing this. Uraki in particular was one of the worst sounding main character's I've ever heard in an anime. If I had to describe it, I'd say Paul Stephen sounded like a bad Johnny Yong Bosch knockoff or something.

Uraki's young, geeky, kinda clumsy, and inexperienced with adult matters. His voice fits him perfectly. I just think you, like most people, don't care much for his character and are taking it out on the VA.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
This was a nice interview, kudo to Michael and Stephanie to talk about this. I was suprised to hear Michael used to do Gundam model before he became a VA and doing Gundam UC himself. Stephanie watching Gundam Wing because of the pretty boy, it's the bishonen effect, LOL. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
He was a better Char than Edwards was, that's for sure.

I shudder just thinking about the Zeta Gundam dub.

Oh c'mon it wasn't that bad. I actually thought Edwards did a good job sounding a lot like the original.

The Zeta dub was filled with bad actors performing woodenly. The only halfway decent "talent" in the group is Carol-Anne Day and even she underperformed.

garfield15 wrote:
Honestly, my favorite dubs have been 00 (especially by season 2) and UC. The prior ones range from tolerable to suck in my opinion.

A great interview.

00's dub is horrifyingly bad. And the worst part is, it has tons of great voice talents, but they're doing worse than they've ever done before. I blame the director. He also directed the Zeta dub. Those two are pretty much the worst Gundam dubs since the movie trilogy dubs.

Oddly enough, he also directed the Black Lagoon dub, which was amazing.

Gundam Unicorn has the first good Gundam dub since Char's Counterattack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
smilydude13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoy the Zeta dub, and I've seen a number of others who have as well. I thought Edwards did a good job replacing Kopsa (though not quite as good as Keith Silversteins fantastic performance as Full Frontal) and I thought Bright was done well also.

It wasn't the best, but I didn't think it was terrible by any means.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Give me a break. Blue Water has never done a good dub. They're probably the worst dub studio in the industry, 4Kids included.

I'm still angry about them screwing up Zeta, because it's my favorite mecha series.

Why does Bandai give these people work?

Gundam programs should be given to Ocean proper, Animaze, and NYAV (given the quality of the Unicorn dub).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Give me a break. Blue Water has never done a good dub. They're probably the worst dub studio in the industry, 4Kids included.

I'm still angry about them screwing up Zeta, because it's my favorite mecha series.

Why does Bandai give these people work?

Gundam programs should be given to Ocean proper, Animaze, and NYAV (given the quality of the Unicorn dub).

I don't even know why, it's because they Bandai trying to save money from spending high paid voice actors and please I don't want to go though on the Union BS crap. Really Bluewater has done bad dubbing since when made it sub-par with G Gundam. Since then everything has been dull with them lately.

Don't know why Ocean group is still here today, they need to give their VA's expanding careers through Canada and US. It would rise popularity more often and even may struck a deal with Funimation. Still I really want to see Brad Swaile and Johnny Yong Bosch do video game and anime dubbing together. It would rock my balls off!

Come on Canadians you can stop being stuck up like your Frenchy friends were.

Still great interview, I love Sinterklass and Sheh!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
[
00's dub is horrifyingly bad. And the worst part is, it has tons of great voice talents, but they're doing worse than they've ever done before. I blame the director. He also directed the Zeta dub. Those two are pretty much the worst Gundam dubs since the movie trilogy dubs.

Oddly enough, he also directed the Black Lagoon dub, which was amazing.

Gundam Unicorn has the first good Gundam dub since Char's Counterattack.

i completely agree on all fronts. 00 has a terrible dub, with some the best talent out there, i don't know how they could have screwed that one up worse.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I just registered (heck, I've been looking to for a while.) and just had to congratulation these two on their work so far. Interesting seeing Sheh get pulled in by "The Pretty Boy Effect" of Wing.

While UC is now one of my favorite Gundam dubs of all time, it still can't stand up to the incredibly-badly-done-yet-awesome dub that was G. Considering the show was corny and bad to begin with, the cast at Blue Water did an excellent job regarding the show. Ever since then, they've been...worse than 4Kids.

I shudder at the ZETA dub. They really need to redub that, I'm sorry. I was impressed by certain characters, like Emma's VA (who's name escapes me) and Quattro's. Then the New Translation movies. I would've liked those dubbed, but I guess I'll deal with subs.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
After just hearing Full Frontal's voice in the UC dub, i have to say wow, simply amazing. He sounds pretty close tonally to Char from the original/Zeta. AND he's a good actor to BOOT! i think bandai needs to redub zeta, i want them to use this bunch of talented folks, becuase quite simply, this dub is amazing.

Last edited by Animehermit on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
I saw very very little of the Unicorn dub, and I'd love to see more (especially since this is Steve Staley's 3rd gundam main, I wonder if he did well).

Nice interview! Gets me excited
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
RedTail wrote:

Should be more interesting to see who they get to play Bright. It would be that character's fourth recast, the most of any other in the franchise. Not to mention he'll have to be recast for the first time in Japan too.

Four? Is that right? I thought it would be 3. He was recast in Zeta, and in the MSG movies, but wasn't the original actor still in Char's Counterattack?

Wheat St. James (gotta be an alias) was the very first English speaking Bright Noa in the MSG movie trilogy dub. He speaks with a British accent. Chris Kalhoon played Bright for Ocean's dubs of MSG TV and CCA. Dave Kelly plays him in Zeta Gundam for Blue Water. That's three VAs to date.

Well yeah but doesn't "recast" mean to allocate a part in a film or play to a different actor? So the change from Chris to Dave would be 1, then the change to James would be 2. But since CCA had the original actor would the still count as allocating the part to a different actor since that actor already played Bright? I mean he's not really different is he since he already played the part once? And if that isn't really a change then there would only be two actual changes in actors thus far meaning that UC's dub would be the third.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:

Blue Water did a pretty good job in matching voices to both Amuro and Char for Zeta Gundam. Matthew Erickson sounds like a more subdued Brad Swaile, which works really well for the older, jaded Amuro of the Gryps War. The problem with Edwards isn't so much that he doesn't sound like Michael Kopsa, it's that he can't emote when the scene calls for it. The guy always speaks in the same tone and comes off as really robotic.

Well when I think about the replacement actors, Amuro and Char's are the only one's who I really thought did a good job. The other replacement were not that great, they were probably the worst part about the dub. But in terms of the dub in general, I felt that the actors for the new characters did a decent job as well.

Quote:
Uraki's young, geeky, kinda clumsy, and inexperienced with adult matters. His voice fits him perfectly. I just think you, like most people, don't care much for his character and are taking it out on the VA.

You can think that but I actually had very few issues with his actual character. The fact for me is just his voice in general grated on my ears. I think the best, or I guess I should say worst, example of his acting was probably right after he defeats Kelley on the moon and he has that conversation with Nina where he declares he wants to be with her. I mean I really think that the acting there actually ruined the scene for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The Zeta dub was filled with bad actors performing woodenly. The only halfway decent "talent" in the group is Carol-Anne Day and even she underperformed.

I wouldn't say that. I agree that Carol had one of the best performances, but I also feel most of the main actors like Ethan Cole, Jonathan Stewart, and Tom Edwards held their own as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3