• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sora no Otoshimono: Forte Anime Film Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
You know when I suggested that I thought anime studios should (as they now kind of are) getting into feature length film more than TV this isn't exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking broader appeal, made for movie from the get-go works and ideas, not just the same old appeal to otaku translated from TV to the movie theater. I mean how many movie theaters can you reasonably line up for something like this even in Japan when hit TV-to-Movie works like Haruhi and Gundam 00 could just barely manage over 10 and 30 theaters respectively? My guess is not too many.
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I guess "two seasons then a movie" is the thing now. Let's count

-SnO
-Strike Witches
-K-On
-Sengoku Basara
-Gundam 00
-Fullmetal Alchemist (okay, not the same as those last ones but it was a second series...kinda)
-Haruhi

Am I missing any? Can we predict when To Aru Majutsu no Index is getting it's movie?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Really? I mean, I like the Sora no Otoshimono anime, don't get me wrong, but I really don't see it as being worthy of a feature film. It's largely just fanservice fluff. I guess some studio heads see more merit in it than I do.

K-ON: The Movie

Strike Witches: The Moive

You must be new here.

Do you have some figures that show that SnO had similar ratings to those? But, based on your snide little remarks, you're more interested in trolling than giving any proof of anything.

I understand that things get made because there's the expectation that money can be made, but I haven't seen anything that indicates SnO is a big money maker like K-ON and Strike Witches.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I understand that things get made because there's the expectation that money can be made, but I haven't seen anything that indicates SnO is a big money maker like K-ON and Strike Witches.

Of course it's not as big as K-ON! and SW, but it was in the top DVD sales when it was released. Sure, it's not SUPER popular, but it's still popular. Hell, if wouldn't have gotten a second season if it wasn't.

Also, how do you see my answer as trolling, when it's actually the correct answer to a stupid question? Why make a movie? Because it was popular enough to warrant one. It's not rocket science, it's supply and demand.

Let me break it down real simple for you: if a show gets a second season, it was popular enough to deserve a second season. Same goes for a movie. If a show is not popular, like Aoi Hana, it will not get a second season: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-10-31/fuji-producer/no-2nd-aoi-hana-season-due-to-dvd-sales
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Great news! Hope they put alot of the 1st season in it aswell, and don't differ as much from the manga as the anime did. They should be able to weigh up all the fanservice with a lot of hardcore action / futuristic sci-fi scenes if put together correctly. Can't wait! Very Happy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Of course it's not as big as K-ON! and SW, but it was in the top DVD sales when it was released.

The middle is not the top. Railgun, FMA Brotherhood, Kimi ni Todoke, Bakemonogatari, Haruhi S2, Saki, Durarara, Gundam 00, Gintama, Hetalia, Working, Hakuouki, Angel Beats, and Oofuri S2 all outsold it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The middle is not the top. Railgun, FMA Brotherhood, Kimi ni Todoke, Bakemonogatari, Haruhi S2, Saki, Durarara, Gundam 00, Gintama, Hetalia, Working, Hakuouki, Angel Beats, and Oofuri S2 all outsold it.

And what's your point? I didn't say it was the most popular. I just said it WAS popular. Being ON the top list means it was in the top. It wasn't THE top, but it was IN the top. Do you not understand what I am saying?
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

And what's your point? I didn't say it was the most popular. I just said it WAS popular. Being ON the top list means it was in the top. It wasn't THE top, but it was IN the top. Do you not understand what I am saying?

You said it was the top selling anime on its released date, when it's not even barely close. A TOP selling anime DVD sells for at least 8,000 to 9,000 copies, consistently.

Sora no Otoshimono's DVD sales aren't exactly top notched.

Sora no Otoshimono *5,736 (7) (AIC A.S.T.A.)
2009/12/25 *8,671 Vol. 1 Limited Edition (Two episodes up to Vol. 7)
2010/01/29 *5,731 Vol. 2 Limited Edition
2010/02/26 *6,353 Vol. 3 Limited Edition
2010/03/26 *4,934 Vol. 4 Limited Edition
2010/04/23 *5,425 Vol. 5 Limited Edition
2010/05/28 *4,608 Vol. 6 Limited Edition
2010/06/25 *4,426 Vol. 7 Limited Edition (one episode)

Many shows with those sales have not even gotten a second series, let alone a movie.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
You said it was the top selling anime on its released date, when it's not even barely close. A TOP selling anime DVD sells for at least 8,000 to 9,000 copies, consistently.

DmonHiro wrote:
Of course it's not as big as K-ON! and SW, but it was in the top DVD sales when it was released.

I said it was IN the top. IN the top. IN the top. Did you even read what I wrote?
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
SnO definitely does not deserve a movie any more than say, Saki, does.

You have to take into consideration that the Saki anime went past the manga and that SnO has an actual arc (Hiyori) that would make a fairly good 90-120 minute movie. It's not just about what deserves a sequel or a movie but other factors like can we actually make one that count.

The Hiyori arc plus random joke chapters (many which can show up in s2 anyway) is all the manga is going to have left after s2 finishes. So instead of making a s3 with mostly anime original stuff they decided to take the Hiyori arc to the big screen. If the manga than ends in say 15 months (15 chapters) time than they have enough material for a third and final season.

The Manabi Line (aka when typical series make a profit) is 2,899 sales, SnO obviously has a better budget than most typical anime but is still easily in the profit range.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Movie of a series after it airs is nothing new. It was done a long time ago, just look at Shakugan no Shana.

Why is everyone so surprised to this news? SnO was licensed in the U.S. had a second season and it was licensed too and now a movie (which will most likely be licensed soon as well). The show is popular enough to get released by Funimation (which they have first dibs on shows so it's not like they didn't any other shows to license). They chose this show and that says something in it of it self. I trust Funimations tastes and will check out this show when it gets release in the U.S.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd say it's highly likely to just be a compilation film.

That or we can take this as a sign that they won't be bothering to finish the shows loose storyline in this current season either.
Arcangel999

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
nice I loved Sora No Otoshimono Cool
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
That or we can take this as a sign that they won't be bothering to finish the shows loose storyline in this current season either.

Considering the manga is still ongoing of course said storyline won't be finished.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I like the show, so the announcement seems good to me. I think the point that some shows have arcs that fit movies better is a very legitimate point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3