• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Back From Another Dimension

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Nope, nope. Not buying it.

I'm not a whore!

Shenl742 wrote:
And Bellmere's also an idiot for thinking being unable to lie about having children was more important than you know, hiding them from the evil sharkmen.

All is fair in love and war!

Quote:
Stupid, illogical, bottom of the barrel, shonen bull-****

Did you actually watch up to the quack doctor's arc while thinking like that? Wow, you, my good sir, are a hard worker and totally deserves a little spanking.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
egoist, you have the perfect avatar. After I read every line of your reply, I looked at your avatar and it just made me laugh.

"I'm not whore!"
cute little girl wink

"All is fair in love and war"
cute little wink

"Did you actually watch up to the quack doctor's arc while thinking like that? Wow, you, my good sir, are a hard worker and totally deserves a little spanking."
cute little wink

I do that with all your post since they're so...weird, but this time it was spot on. Bravo, sir.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Stupid, illogical, bottom of the barrel, shonen bull-****

Did you actually watch up to the quack doctor's arc while thinking like that? Wow, you, my good sir, are a hard worker and totally deserves a little spanking.

My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, and let's just leave it at that. Really tired of talking about it now.
pantsmca

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
As per the rumours of the new Dragonball, I'll just leave this here: http://dbzepisode.org/dragonball-af-1-10/

inb4 people go HURR THATS NOT IT YOUR STUPID. I never said it was. This is just where all the rumours were pointing to.
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
No, the story behind the quack doctor's actions is that he does it to cheer them up... make them lively. What spoiler[cured him wasn't medicine but a cherry blossom tree, in other words, a miracle. He quit being a bandit to become a doctor afterwards, thus dedicating the rest of his life to create a miracle... not a medicine; rather, a miracle better than medicine, to cure something that medicine couldn't.] And that's pretty obvious if you've seen it.
And then of course, you won't mention what's inconvenient for your argument. Like how he drank Chopper's spoiler[medicine knowing it was poison to let Chopper's dream continue (related to the skull flag), and while aware that his death was near. He then drank nitroglycerin (or something alike) to end his own life, so Chopper wouldn't hate himself, nor pledge revenge against the king for taking the doctor's life.]

Nope, nope. Not buying it. And Bellmere's also an idiot for thinking being unable to lie about having children was more important than you know, hiding them from the evil sharkmen.

And everything about Doc is absolutely stupid. spoiler["Yes, instead of telling Chopper, 'No, that's wrong, it's poison, it's okay, though you can try again, I believe in you!' I will DRINK IT, SO THE DREAAAAM will continue!" . I don't care if he was going to die soon anyways. It makes no damn sense, and that STILL doesn't excuse him from terrorizing the whole island.]

Stupid, illogical, bottom of the barrel, shonen bull-****[/quote]

Bellemere DID try hiding them. She didn't succeed, hence the whole she dies thing.

This is One Piece. It's about DREAMS. It's about trying to accomplish them.
The doctor would have died anyway because of the king. He would rather have Chopper living for his dream and not living to get revenge. Even before that, Chopper's life sucked. What with the whole denied by his fellow reindeer.

Over all, One Piece has it's emotional "Hand me a tissue"/"I'm not crying, I just got something in my eyes" moments.

And Pokemon. I'll say it with pride; I cried at pokemon.
When Butterfree left, and when Ash wanted to leave Pikachu with the tribe of Pikachu. Or when those jerkasses left Charmander in the rain and Ash went to save it.
These are the emotional moments of my childhood.

[EDIT: Don't insult people. -TK]
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
On another note entirely, I should have submitted something for this week's Hey, Answerfans! segment. Then there could have been three people who mentioned RahXephon, rather than the still-impressive two. I just want to know where Neal and Whitakker are hiding; us three should unite.

I wasn't planning to send anything anyway, but you can add me as a vote for RahXephon. I mean, f***, just reading the header for the RX ep spoiler made my gut twist as I remembered the episode. I really need to rewatch that show.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Rozen Maiden, something bugs me about this. When a series is still selling all these years after its original run has concluded, wouldn't this have an impact on a possible resurrection?

As for figures/merchandise, I can't really say the lack of this isn't the fault of the public but more the rights expiring for production. I just watched this series within the past 3 months and I'd kill to have all the dolls (figures).

Sadly, it appears my chance is long gone.

Now I'm left with K-On! figures, until this series finally gets tiring by fans.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Urasawa really is more popular in the U.S. in the way he is supposed to be popular--read in comic form. His manga gets plenty of pub and fans in the U.S.

The anime adaptations don't register as well because anime tend to be supported by younger fans, his series tend to be long, and also, the whole "anime isn't even that popular anymore anyway" thing...
vega427

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Was that Meatloaf in the flake of the week vid?....... Shocked
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Regarding Rozen Maiden, something bugs me about this. When a series is still selling all these years after its original run has concluded, wouldn't this have an impact on a possible resurrection?
Where is the evidence it is actually doing well sales wise? Rozen Maiden has always been a very small vocal fanbase. The DVDs for the anime series never sold well (in R2 and R1), especially compared to what the online popularity would suggest.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
InnocentSorrow59 wrote:
I mean, seriously. You cannot be a OP fan and tell me you didn't get a little teary eyed at Nami asking for help.

Nope.
HATE Nami. She pisses me off far more than any regular.
Not reading the manga so I'm only up to the Funi release (Could the last set stop in a worse place? Been waiting for this fight)
Nami supports my theory a healthy number of Japanese men are masochists
But whatever. I've heard about Ace & it pisses me off, but I'm not up there so we'll cross that bridge later. So far OP is too cartoony for me to feel all that emotional about it. These guys take obscene amounts of damage so they're in the inhuman area.
A lot of shonen is so...epic? Legendary? Mythical? It's fun, gets one's blood pumping, but I don't know that much of it has moved me to tears. Mostly anger, I think, when the plot cops out/takes the easy way out
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
While $134 retail (I got it for around $100 when it was released) was a good price for all the episodes and extras that came with Yawara, I can't help but wonder if more people would have taken a chance on it if it was cheaper. Maybe Animeigo should have added less frills (no chipboard, extra artwork, liner notes, book, etc.) and lowered the price? I know I really debated about spending $100+ on a single release, regardless of how many episodes and extras came with it.

I would love it if someone like Sentai could pick up the title and release it like they did Glass Mask. I wouldn't complain about a cheap plastic box and occasionally crappy subtitles if I could continue the story. It's a gem.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I would love it if someone like Sentai could pick up the title and release it like they did Glass Mask. I wouldn't complain about a cheap plastic box and occasionally crappy subtitles if I could continue the story. It's a gem.

Heh... If ADV released it as they did Glass Mask, we'd be in the same situation that we have now: an incomplete release.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I hope Monster gets a DVD (or BD) release. I watched the whole series on Sci-fi... excuse me, SyFy (ugh) and I loved it. Great show it was. I'd buy it. And watching it on Hulu isn't an option since my computer doesn't play most videos very well.

As for shows that got an emotional reaction out of me, well, several examples have already been mentioned by others (Rahxephon, FMA). Two that haven't been mentioned yet are:

End of Evangelion: This movie still gets me. It's such a visceral and visually powerful film and like the series manages to have some pretty emotional segments.

Lament of the Lamb: A rather overlooked vampire manga (anyone here besides me read it?), it was probably the most depressing manga I've read to date.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Deadwing, I've not only read Lament of the Lamb, but I donated the series to the library where I work. There is an anime which sadly, will probably never make it over here. I'd rather see that than that crappy live-action version TokyoPop was (is?) planning to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4