• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Back From Another Dimension

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
As one of my favorite shows I am also very upset over Monster not being released on DVD. I do have to agree that it is most likely because the show does not cater to the normal anime-watching crowd. Still I'm a big fan of it. Though I am a little confused about what you think about it Answerman. In one sentence you call it "dull and listless" (which I wholeheartedly disagree with), but then you go on to call it "smart" and "thrilling". Those statements are just a little contradictory don't you think? Just how do you feel about this show anyway?

For the Answerfans question. I will say that there are definitely a few things in anime which tend to hurt a show for me. One of them is definitely animation quality, but more specifically it's consistency which I'm a stickler for. I can't stand it when a show gives me a taste of beautiful animation one minute, and the next it looks like a 5-year old did it. A second one is definitely bad vocal performances. If it isn't done right a whole scene can be ruined. Bad characters in general can definitely ruin any show but really that's just common knowledge that applies to anyone, not just specifically me. Finally, I think one of the biggest turnoffs for me is excessive fanservice, or fanservice during scenes which definitely don't call for it. It tends to just make me facepalm sometimes. Still if it's only in moderation and the rest of the show itself is great I can look past it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:23 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Well most of One Pieces backstories are sappy, maudlin, manipulative in my opinion, except for...Robin's I guess?

Nami's past was pretty bad:

spoiler[Bellmere just makes a promise to Arlong to sacrifice herself in exchange for her kids, he agrees...and then she PULLS A GUN ON HIM. What a moron. If Arlong really was a sadistic shark man he should've eaten Nami and her sister right in front of her.] Also, Chopper being raised by spoiler[a COMPLETE PSYCHOTIC who messes with people in a deluded attempt to help them, and then takes their money] That's all just bad writing if you ask me.

Um...I'm pretty sure you've never seen the actual version of these episodes. You didn't happen to watch the 4Kids dub during the early part of the series, did you? Because that's not remotely what happened during Nami's backstory. spoiler[Bellemere only pulls a gun on Arlong right as he's walking into the house, before there's any conversation about payments or sacrifices whatsoever. As far as she's concerned, there are a bunch of fishmen pirates invading the town, and they need killing. It's only after Arlong roughs her up and Genzo arrives that the subject of payment comes up. Bellemere only has enough money to cover either herself or her kids, and since there's no evidence she has any children, Genzo attempts to persuade her to just pay for herself...but Bellemere can't lie about the fact that she's a mother, and so she states that the money is for her family instead, and sacrifices herself for their sake.] I'm sorry, but if you don't think that's pretty damn tragic, you might want to get your emotional response looked at.

As far as Hiluluk goes, spoiler[there's nothing at all psychotic about him. He's not attempting to "mess" with people; he genuinely wants to be a doctor and cure the sick. The only trouble is...he utterly sucks at it, so he gets labeled a quack and driven off. I don't even think we ever see him take any money from people; you may be thinking of Dr. Kureha, who does charge exorbitant sums but is also a fantastic doctor. As far as Hiluluk's dreams went, he knew that there was far more wrong with his country than a few sick patients, that its very soul was ailing. That's why he strove for so many years to find a way to make pink snow: just as the sight of cherry blossoms had healed his spirit in the past, so he believed that making "blossoms" in the middle of winter would serve as a sign of healing for the entire Drum Kingdom. He chose not to tell Chopper about the poison because he knew he would die within a few days regardless, and he didn't want to hurt Chopper like that, and he drank that nitroglycerin so that Chopper's "medicine" wouldn't be what killed him. Even right until the end, he was relieved that the kingdom's remaining doctors weren't really sick, valuing that above his own life. He comes off as pretty noble in my book.]

Sorry to throw this largely-off-topic argument back into the mix, but I couldn't let blatantly incorrect statements about one of my favorite anime series stand. Razz
sokpupet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
This reply may be a little late, but there is some serious revisionist One Piece history going on here and I aims t'fix it.

Starting with Nami. When Arlong and his crewed showed up to Cocoyashi Village to announce their intentions, Bellemere was at her house making dinner. Nami and Nojiko tried to warn her in time, but they were too late. Bellemere realized her house was being surrounded, and without knowing the facts she assaulted Arlong.

Arlong gets the upper hand again, and informs her he has taken over the island. He also lets her know that for a nominal fee of 100K, she can continue to live. Unable to live without her kids, she surrenders her life for them.

They couldn't hide. They'd be found and Arlong would kill all of three of them. Arlong's henchmen make their rounds through the villages constantly, and Bellemere guessed as much. She also knew that although she would be dead, the village would be there for her kids and they would continue to live. Yes, being alive is the best option, but it was not available.

Now for Chopper. Dr. Hiriluk absolutely refused to accept any kind of payment for his "services." Dr. Kureha is the one who demanded outrageous payments. Yeah, Hiriluk was a pain to the people of Drum Island, but he was only trying to help and never really hurt anybody.

Chopper also didn't just pop in with the Amiudake mushroom. He got beaten into a broken and bloody mess to get it. It wasn't a matter of "Dude, this is poisonous. Try again." Hiriluk had another (exponentially painful) week to live, tops, and was happy to trade it for the sake of his son's own sacrifice. He also didn't even need the week, because his work was completed.

Once Hiriluk heard of the 20 Doctor's plight, he rushed off for one last time to help. Of course, once he realized it was a trap he was very relieved... (the following has been de-spoilerized despite being about 10 years old)

spoiler["Forget it. You can't kill me. When does a man die? Is it when he's shot in the heart with a pistol? No. When he's stricken with a deadly disease? No. When he eats soup made from a deadly mushroom? Hell no! It is when he is forgotten! I may disappear, but my dream will live on. And the ailing hearts of the people will be healed..."

"...Soon, a monster will appear. He's my son. Don't hurt him." *Don't worry, Chopper. Your mushroom didn't kill me.*
"HA!!! What a life it was!!!"
*Thank you, Chopper.*

Hiriluk went out on his own terms, and in spectacular fashion at that.
]

Anybody can have their opinion on a story, but it should be the correct version that it's based on.

edit: well damn, I wish I hadn't gone to get something to eat while I was writing this.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Heh, that winds up happening to me all the time. Razz But I appreciate the backup. I'm surprised I even stumbled across this conversation, since I don't read much around here anymore.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in buying Monster, but they have to either make Part 1 cheaper to buy, or just sell the whole thing as a set. Just buying part of a series is a risk, especially these days, and it may sound weird, but I'd rather have all of even a bad series than just the first part.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
Wow someone mentioned Magical Project S (Pretty Sammy the tv series) it was one of the great comedies just because it was more than just a parody of Sailor Moon since it actually tried to accomplish something.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I'm interested in buying Monster, but they have to either make Part 1 cheaper to buy, or just sell the whole thing as a set. Just buying part of a series is a risk, especially these days, and it may sound weird, but I'd rather have all of even a bad series than just the first part.

I've always looked at it the opposite way. If I"m not sure that a series will see a full DVD release, I'll at least purchase what is available (provided the price is right). I figure, if I liked it enough to buy it, then having some is better than none, and if I purchase part 1, volume 1, etc. it at least shows that someone is interested enough to make a purchase, and potentially help encourage further releases.
Keyl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I still want a new Urasawa anime. Either PLUTO (probably never gonna happen) or Billy Bat. Damn there's so many good manga that deserves a good anime adaption.
tyciol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Rozen Maiden did receive a second season, about 10 months after the first season concluded. It also got an OVA a year after the second season concluded.

But I will agree on the larger point that a third season is unlikely. This is in large part because Peach-Pit abruptly ended the series in Comic Birz, any momentum the series had was lost. Imagine if Akira Toriyama had took a year or two off of Dragon Ball in the middle of the first Budokai arc. Chances are that it would not be the juggernaut that it was.

But I don't recall seeing a lot of merchandising with Rozen Maiden. The series was popular enough for Peach-Pit to restart the series later.
Weren't there 2 OVAs? I think Ouverture was a 2-parter...

Anyway, even if the manga has abruptly ended, it still seems like there is enough material there for a third season, or at least more supplemental OVAs. What it lacks in momentum it can make up for with fan dedication to ball joints and desu.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4