• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Gundam Infinity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
BeanBandit wrote:
Ironically I think the stuff I dislike about Gundam all stem from it's actual creator Yoshiyuki Tomino.

Oh, Tomino is definitely the problem on a lot of his own productions. That's why I'm so fond of him and his work - his body of work has a lot more failures than successes, IMO, but they're all very interesting failures that still succeeded in some small ways.

Also, I've always been amused by how obvious it is that he considers the Wings of Rean/Dunbine stuff to be his life's work and keeps trying to repackage and reinvent it. Something tells me he tried REALLY HARD to sell Byston Well to fans, and is dissatisfied that it's still nowhere near as popular as Gundam. Unfortunately, he doesn't permit real interviews anymore (I inquired on his visit to NYAF last year and was told that only pre-screened, softball questions would be asked), so we can't ask him.

I understand were your coming from but I guess for me I would rather just read and hear about it through writers such yourself then actually sitting through these shows myself as, despite the curiosities you mentioned, they simply don't grab me. Kinda like the AwO show you guys did with Odin, great to hear you guys talk about how bad it was, but not actually a fun movie to actually sit through, even to make fun of.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic article.
I just recently finished Zeta Gundam and liked it a lot. With Gundam on my mind this was a real treat to read. Very Happy

There's a Bandai sale at Right Stuf too... I'm debating on what Gundam show/movie I should get. Something I haven't seen before like 0083: SM, 0080, F91, and the orignal series movies (I've seen the show just not the movies). Or get CCA. *sigh* I'm going to probably throw in Outlaw Star too and maybe on of those blind box things to top it off if needed.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:

As for the last three series, I don't think its a mistake that those three haven't been tapped for distribution, since for a variety of reasons they either flopped in Japan or wouldn't make it over here in the US. ZZ and X? They both drew pretty poor ratings while airing, and looking online the fanbase over here considers ZZ a joke and X has been drooping lately. V has 13 year old kids fighting in a war, and is supremely dark and moody with tons of people dying left and right. And of course, with SEED and 00 being the new hotness, the appeal of 20 to 10 year old shows aren't that high on everyone's list.

Don't get me wrong, if Bandai did announce all three, I would be first in line to pick them up, but I just can't see it. Besides, ZZ Gundam isn't even anime, so I doubt Bandai would bother with it. Wink

V Gundam also bombed in Japan causing Bandai to buy Sunrise, and create the Alternate Universes to save Gundam from the decreasing ratings that Gundam was going through. That's why it was one of the last Gundam series to get a DVD release.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
I've never seen G-Saviour or Gundam Evolve, but I've seen IGLOO and if you like the UC time line its definitely worth checking out if you ever get the chance.

Well I don't know, maybe I'll check it out. I do want to get as much exposure to the UC timeline as I can, so I might check IGLOO out...and maybe I'll look up Evolve if I feel like it. Never checking out G-Saviour though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
The thing that surprised me though was the fact that Loran was originally supposed to be female. I guess that where we got "Laura Rolla" from? Tomino's revenge

People still believe this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Ah man, Gundam. Probably one of my favorite franchises gets its luminous history at least partially dealt with. And with over 30 years of manga, anime and models to talk about, you could probably spend a solid week talking about everything and still leave some stuff out.

As for the last three series, I don't think its a mistake that those three haven't been tapped for distribution, since for a variety of reasons they either flopped in Japan or wouldn't make it over here in the US. ZZ and X? They both drew pretty poor ratings while airing, and looking online the fanbase over here considers ZZ a joke and X has been drooping lately. V has 13 year old kids fighting in a war, and is supremely dark and moody with tons of people dying left and right. And of course, with SEED and 00 being the new hotness, the appeal of 20 to 10 year old shows aren't that high on everyone's list.

Don't get me wrong, if Bandai did announce all three, I would be first in line to pick them up, but I just can't see it. Besides, ZZ Gundam isn't even anime, so I doubt Bandai would bother with it. Wink

I peticularly find Gundam X's fate to be quite unfortunate as it seems that it failed because of what people called "Gundam Fatigue" (though this is just what I hear and as far as I know it has never been offically declared true). It bascially means that after 4 straight years of gundam material people needed a break from it and Gundam X had the bad luck of airing during this time. It really would be nice if it made it state side because its post apocalyptic setting is one that I've always wanted to see in Gundam.

On a similar topic, I was quite suprised when I found out that Turn A Gundam was licensed. While it was praised by some gundam fans, I thought that it failed commercially and therefore it seemed odd to me that it was licensed for the US. Since Turn A Gundam was licensed maybe we will see some of the other series in the future.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Interesting read. I've seen most Gundam anime and even G-Saviour, which was quite hilarious. There is just one oddity that I haven't quite grasped: the Gundam SEED Astray opening episode. They even made an opening song for that and I really have no idea what's the gist of it. Oh, and I am not talking about Red/Blue Frame.
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
As always, great article. Extremely interesting and very informative.

It is really weird how two big mecha franchises, Macross and Gundam had such weird localization in America. I bet a lot of Japanese wouldn't believe if they were told what happened. I recall seeing a program exhibited in Japan on how One Piece was changed for the American audience and the reactions were pretty much: what the hell?

Mike Toole wrote:
That's both a strength and weakness of Gundam Unicorn. The series so far, particularly the second episode, is teeming with shout-outs to tales and characters from earlier Universal Century works. For the longtime Gundam fan, this is tons of fun, but a friend of mine was relatively new to the franchise and practically needed a road map to figure it all out. If you ask me, this is a small problem - we can look to the superb 08th MS Team and 0080 as OVAs that didn't need a lot of context to make sense and be enjoyable - but not an insurmountable one.

I totally agree with this, but I have seen lots of Gundam fans recommending almost all the UC titles for people who enjoyed Unicorn. Having someone point out the major points of what happened + a brief who is who or browsing something like a Wikipedia page should suffice.

My opinion on Gundam is pretty much like BeanBandit's (except for the alternate universe - I only watched part of Wing and I didn't like it). I much prefer the OAVs that aren't directed by Tomino; like War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, the 08th MS Team, and currently Unicorn.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
I peticularly find Gundam X's fate to be quite unfortunate as it seems that it failed because of what people called "Gundam Fatigue" (though this is just what I hear and as far as I know it has never been offically declared true). It bascially means that after 4 straight years of gundam material people needed a break from it and Gundam X had the bad luck of airing during this time. It really would be nice if it made it state side because its post apocalyptic setting is one that I've always wanted to see in Gundam.

Actually, GX's ratings were quite good... until they (broadcasters) changed their spot and make Garoad and co. fight against, oh, Evangelion.

As for Turn A, I'd always thought of it as "Gundam's Ghibli" -at least being the less "futuristic" of the whole series.
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
There's a Bandai sale at Right Stuf too... I'm debating on what Gundam show/movie I should get. Something I haven't seen before like 0083: SM, 0080, F91, and the orignal series movies (I've seen the show just not the movies). Or get CCA. *sigh* I'm going to probably throw in Outlaw Star too and maybe on of those blind box things to top it off if needed.

I thoroughly recommend 0083 or CCA. 0080 is good too, but there wasn't quite enough awesome mecha action in it to satisfy me Razz I can't comment on F91, though.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the article, Mike. It was a fun, well-written, and very informing read - something even a non-fan to Gundam enjoyed.

Hearing all this fun, animated fan discussion makes me feel dissatisfied that I don't have a strong interest in Gundam and didn't get into it earlier. I want to be a part of the fanboy/girl gabfest. Crying or Very sad

What's nice about Turn A (and I plan on buying it) is that it is AU and sounds like it stands on it's own other than a few tie-ins to the UC storyline, which will probably fly over my head. The UC storyline sounds like a massive undertaking to an anime fan who never really had a strong interest in robots/Gundam. The only series I ever completed was Wing's run on Cartoon Network, and I was in it for the characters at the time (I admit I had a strong fascination for Deathscythe and Sandrock, but a lot of that was probably due to the fact that Duo and Quatre were my favorite characters). I highly doubt I would ever be able to watch the series again - I was more invested in the fandom.

Turn A sounds like a good, self-contained story with some things I may be interested in, so I'll support the series release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Such a brilliant article. It's been a while since I have been compelled to go digging through the internet for new, crazy Gundam material that I had never heard about.

I have unfortunately never been able to get my hands on X but according to a couple of my friends, it's very Wing-ish but with Newtypes. I know lots of people claim that this would've done very well after Gundam Wing. I'd have to see before I make any decisions.

The only thing I feel has been left out of the chatter is G-Gundam. Oh G-Gundam. I have fond memories of watching this on Toonami and re-watching the entire series over a weekend with nothing but junk-food, my good gundam buddy, and his cat who would attack our feet if we sat still too long.

I loved all the ridiculous, super-powered stuff from G-Gundam. It almost feels like a precursor to the beautiful stream of awesomeness which was Gurren Laggan.

Also, this may just be me, but I really loved all the Gundam Evolve shorts. Some where brilliant, others not so much, but at the very least, they all incorporated something that charmed me (or alternatively, none of them lasted long enough to anger me). The nicer, alternative ending to Hathaway and such during Char's Counterattack was a particular favorite of mine.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gundam Wing hit Cartoon Network with this awesome promo clip (why oh why don't they make these anymore?!)

Because Toonami is dead Sad

Wow there certainly is a lot of Gundam history here. Can't say I'm a huge fan but I was always impressed with the animation and designs for the various Gundams I did manage to see. Everyone is lauding Turn A Gundam so much, I certainly hope it'll be good.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Frazmataz wrote:

I thoroughly recommend 0083 or CCA. 0080 is good too, but there wasn't quite enough awesome mecha action in it to satisfy me Razz I can't comment on F91, though.

Why do people keep on thinking that the main character of Gundam 0080 was Bernie?

The main character is Alfred, the entire point of Gundam 0080 was supposed to show the civilian side of war. Why do you think the entire ending is mostly civilians?

That's why Gundam 0080 is so brilliant, while Unicorn is perfectly fine embracing the stagnation that Gundam (dear god a certain character's alias is Audrey how lazy can you be) is in Gundam 0080 was written in a time where Gundam was leading the charge of anime with fresh storylines.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Frazmataz wrote:

Why do people keep on thinking that the main character of Gundam 0080 was Bernie?

The main character is Alfred, the entire point of Gundam 0080 was supposed to show the civilian side of war. Why do you think the entire ending is mostly civilians?

That's why Gundam 0080 is so brilliant, while Unicorn is perfectly fine embracing the stagnation that Gundam (dear god a certain character's alias is Audrey how lazy can you be) is in Gundam 0080 was written in a time where Gundam was in the leading the charge of anime with fresh storylines.

Erm, did I insinuate that Bernie was the main character? Or that showing the civilian side wasn't the point? Neutral I fully understand what 0080 was trying to do (it's immediately obvious from watching it), and it acheives its aims admirably. I just didn't find it as... engrossing as some other UC entries. Please don't jump to conclusions on my opinions based on such a general comment as 'not quite enough awesome mecha action'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5