• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamato Anime Producer Yoshinobu Nishizaki Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
@Rheinhard, those are awesome episodes, man.

This is one of those extremely rare and probably unforgettable moments of "truth is stranger than fiction." Really sad and unexpected loss. Glad to read he was working as a creator right up until the end.

My condolences to his family, friends, and epically humongous fan base.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
For those who don't know who the Nish is, I would suggest you check out AWO's excellent podcast about Odin, which includes special guest star Mike Toole. All you need to know is that the Nish continued to try to recapture the feel of Odin by making other ships in space shows, but without the aid of Leiji Matsumoto.

http://www.awopodcast.com/2006/03/anime-world-order-show-12-searching.html
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
R.I.P.

That's a super ironic way to die.

I agree it was very ironic !!

Too bad he and Leiji Matsumoto had a falling out over the Yamato Franchise !!!!

Just imagine how it might have been if they had settled their differences and had worked on Yamato together again!!!

R.I.P.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I've always credited Leiji Matsumoto with shaping Yamato into the classic that it is, but a lot of what drove it forward was the man responsible for the initial spark, Yoshinobu Nishizaki, who every step of the way expressed a passion for the franchise it became and the messages it conveyed.

It's tragic that he and Matsumoto never reconciled their differences. Not because I felt they should do more Yamato together, mind you- I'd have been fine if Final was the end- but just to know that these two men who were responsible for such a big part of anime history had some peace between them.

Saraba, chikyuu yo...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
timeldred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
This is an ignoble end to a remarkable life.

His current project was a director's cut of Yamato Resurrection. No idea how far along it was, but one of the items in the Resurrection Complete Box is a voucher for a movie ticket. Screenings to be announced later.

Naturally, we would hope that this would be followed by another DVD release and then potentially a renewal of interest in making Resurrection Part 2. He'd already gotten it to proposal stage and was planning to hang back and limit his involvement to script approval. Conceivably this could still move ahead depending on who else is involved.

Tons of Nishizaki essays and interviews can be found at starblazers.com: look for the Quicklinks on the homepage.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:19 pm Reply with quote
He will be missed. Sure he had some negative lime light in the later half of his life, but in the end he is a legend.

And such an ironic way to die. Fell off Yamato and found by Southern Cross. Thats an out there story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
timeldred wrote:
This is an ignoble end to a remarkable life.

His current project was a director's cut of Yamato Resurrection. No idea how far along it was, but one of the items in the Resurrection Complete Box is a voucher for a movie ticket. Screenings to be announced later.

Naturally, we would hope that this would be followed by another DVD release and then potentially a renewal of interest in making Resurrection Part 2. He'd already gotten it to proposal stage and was planning to hang back and limit his involvement to script approval. Conceivably this could still move ahead depending on who else is involved.

Tons of Nishizaki essays and interviews can be found at starblazers.com: look for the Quicklinks on the homepage.

In his 2009 Animage interview, Nishizaki said he showed a 2-hour, 24-minute rough cut of Yamato Resurrection to the movie's sponsors, who then asked him to cut it to 2 hours and 10 minutes. I guess those lost 14 minutes will be a part of the director's cut.

When the director's cut comes out on BD and DVD, I hope it includes the unused ending (the one where spoiler[they don't save the Earth]) as an extra. As for part 2, if it ever gets made, I hope it follows Nishizaki's original concept, which I assume involved spoiler[Kodai's search for Yuki].
timeldred

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Your hopes match mine exactly, my friend. And thank you for paying attention to that Animage interview, which I had the pleasure of translating. Nice to know these things get noticed.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Producing a show with "Yamato" in the title and then falling off a ship with that same name...ironic.
stararnold

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
The "Space Battleship Yamato" franchise (and by extension Anime) will never be the same without the Nish. Hopefully, a "In Memory of Yoshinobu Nishizaki" text gets included in the end credits for the upcoming live-action movie "Space Battleship Yamato". I hope that someone gets to continue on the Anime continuity the 1974 "Space Battleship Yamato" T.V. series established as "Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection" ended on a cliffhanger.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Tomino's just posted a preview of his two cents on the topic.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't see his death as "ironic", I see it as "fitting". The man died doing what he loved and he obviously loved the sea.

IIRC, Nishizaki referred to Yamato Rebirth as his "last work". He must have known he had little time left.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
My sincere condolences to his surviving family and friends for their loss. Starblazers is the very first anime I ever saw, though at the time I wasn't aware of the term "anime", but I knew it was from Japan and that it wasn't like any other animation I had ever seen and was instantly hooked. What would be fitting for him would be if the family dropped his ashes on the actual Yamato wreak site.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
What a story... falling from a ship/boat named "Yamato"... °_°

Anyway he'll be missed... this year is quite bad for anime. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2