• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Action Comedy TV Anime Needless

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
well i'll be it's dubbed. i'd rather of seen a gintama dub though
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:

Same, though that would probably be very difficult :/
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd heard about Needless before and I'm mildy interested, but geez that price is absolutely horrendous! No way I'm getting that unless it's way cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote
You know, I didn't even notice the price. $70 for a half set? That's ridiculous. I don't buy half sets either way, but still.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm not getting the blu-ray

Of course, I'll wait for a sale as well before I buy the DVD too.
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
generally speaking, is this a "good acquisition" for Section 23, a "major coup", a "silly decision", or "they're experimenting with releasing some new titles to see what will sell"

What should we make of this news, in the bigger picture?
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
You know, I didn't even notice the price. $70 for a half set? That's ridiculous. I don't buy half sets either way, but still.

People are acting like this is something new and mind-blowing from Sentai Filmworks. Take a look at Legends of Dark King, Canaan and the Xam'd half sets. It is standard BD pricing for them for 12-13 episode sets. It could be much worse.

I'll be getting Needless part 1 on BD.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
generally speaking, is this a "good acquisition" for Section 23, a "major coup", a "silly decision", or "they're experimenting with releasing some new titles to see what will sell"

Probably the third one. That seems to be their thing normally. Try something new and if it sells, buy more of it.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
I demand Crispin Freeman as Adam Blade!

That would be so awesome... Or at least, have him do Adam Archlight.

Crispin Freeman strictly works on union dubs. The recording studio Section23/neo-ADV often uses for their dubs, Seraphim Digital Studios, happens to be non-union, so don't expect Crispin Freeman to be in it (not to mention geographical limitations here). Only time Section23 might have Crispin Freeman in the dub is if they decided to outsource a dub to a union studio at California just to fit the continuity of the series of a previous company that used to license it (which is less likely).

In other words, rather than expecting Kari Wahlgren, Steven Blum, or Crispin Freeman, expect Luci Christian, Monica Rial, Chris Patton, David Matranga, Greg Ayres, Serena Varghese, and Blake Shepard to be in it (not sure about Jessica Boone, haven't heard much from her). And don't expect Vic Mignogna, Laura Bailey, and Travis Willingham to be in it (yes they do worked in Texas in the past, but they are now living in California. And if they want to work in an anime dub in Texas, it would most likely be a title from Funimation).

This is a similar situation with the issue for a Hitman dub. Section23 would really need to pull a TV deal for Gintama if they want to dub it because the series is around 200 episodes.

Now I'm kinda stuck between watching Togainu no Chi at ANN or getting Needless, as both anime set after the events of World War III and have some elements of post-apocalypse/dystopia. Which one is better?

Anyways, watch Togainu now, decide on Needless later until they announce the dub cast.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Really glad Sentai is release an HD series on bluray immediately instead of the usual DVD first, BD later with dubs (particular for those who don't care for the dubs)

The King of Harts wrote:

That's just the SRP. Xam'd BD set 2 SRP is also $70, yet amazon is currently selling it for $41
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:09 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

They licensed a show.

Not every single acquisition announcement is a signal of a new trend or a change in the industry.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
I demand Crispin Freeman as Adam Blade!

That would be so awesome... Or at least, have him do Adam Archlight.

Crispin Freeman strictly works on union dubs. The recording studio Section23/neo-ADV often uses for their dubs, Seraphim Digital Studios, happens to be non-union, so don't expect Crispin Freeman to be in it (not to mention geographical limitations here). Only time Section23 might have Crispin Freeman in the dub is if they decided to outsource a dub to a union studio at California just to fit the continuity of the series of a previous company that used to license it (which is less likely).

In other words, rather than expecting Kari Wahlgren, Steven Blum, or Crispin Freeman, expect Luci Christian, Monica Rial, Chris Patton, David Matranga, Greg Ayres, Serena Varghese, and Blake Shepard to be in it (not sure about Jessica Boone, haven't heard much from her). And don't expect Vic Mignogna, Laura Bailey, and Travis Willingham to be in it (yes they do worked in Texas in the past, but they are now living in California. And if they want to work in an anime dub in Texas, it would most likely be a title from Funimation).

This is a similar situation with the issue for a Hitman dub. Section23 would really need to pull a TV deal for Gintama if they want to dub it because the series is around 200 episodes.

Now I'm kinda stuck between watching Togainu no Chi at ANN or getting Needless, as both anime set after the events of World War III and have some elements of post-apocalypse/dystopia. Which one is better?

Anyways, watch Togainu now, decide on Needless later until they announce the dub cast.

Section23 will only use its own contracted Houston area VAs, also it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see a Funimation VA in a Seraphrim dub.

Its obvious this title was dubbed while the contract was being drawing up by the licensor.

As for Jessica Boone, uhh she
s been in 2 most recent Sentai releases "X'amd" and "Cannan". You haven't heard from her? She's still around.

Last edited by GrilledEelHamatsu on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
OH MY GOD! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

I HAVE WANTED THIS FOREVERRRRRRR! I never thought it would get licensed. And a dub! A dub!

I demand Crispin Freeman as Adam Blade.

EDIT: IT HAS THE 6-MINUTE SHORTS ON IT! *faints*

Not likely at all. Section23 only works with contracted VAs and or Funimation free lance actors(likely in the near future.) Crispin Freeman is an L.A. voice actor, therfore he will only dub for non contract/union ADR studios.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
YES O yes about time some one gets this and its going to be dubbed
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised Needless got licensed. I mean, I'm a fan, but the lolicon fanservice is very rampant, I figured that would kill any chance of NA release. Guess I was wrong though, hopefully their release is of good quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5