Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Action Comedy TV Anime Needless


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GrilledEelHamatsu



Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 703
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Its obvious this title was dubbed while the contract was being drawing up by the licensor.
How would that be possible?


Its a no brainer. Really, since Seraphrim dubs in secret and dubs quickly. Section23 only annouces a new title 12 weeks before its ready to be sold.

Normally most labels that annouce a new license immediately start dubbing the title and wont solicit it for at least 6 months.

There's no way this could have been dubbed just now, it had to have been dubbed while the contract was being drawn up since it will be released in about 14 weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1761
Location: North Brunswick, New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
There's no way this could have been dubbed just now, it had to have been dubbed while the contract was being drawn up since it will be released in about 14 weeks.


Or maybe Sentai actually started the licensing process a while ago, like maybe a few months after the show finished airing in Japan, and have just taken their time getting everything done. For all we know Sentai could be just as slow of FUNimation is in terms of the timeline for a license being finalized to it's eventual release... It's just that while FUNimation announces licenses as soon as possible, Sentai waits until it's time to solicit them.

Also, your theory is already proven wrong because of one title: Guin Saga. If your theory is fact, then we would have had a solictation for Guin Saga by now... Hell, we probably would have had the solicitation for the second half of the show by now, even.

But you probably have an excuse/reason for why Guin Saga is taking so long. My personal feeling is that Animax revealed the license right after it was finalized, forcing Sentai to confirm it but have no real work done on it at that point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Richard J.



Joined: 11 Aug 2006
Posts: 3367
Location: Sic Semper Tyrannis.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:18 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, thank you everybody. I get it. It's not gonna happen. Please stop crushing my dreams now. Rolling Eyes
We're not trying to crush your dream, we're trying to be practical. Which is unfortunately similar. And I specifically was trying point out money might open doors otherwise closed. In times past, wealthy patrons of the arts allowed for grand masterpieces to be made. I'm sure there are a few frugal fans out there crazy enough to offer a cash reward for casting Crispen Freeman. (Whether anyone would take the attempt seriously enough for it to work is another matter.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SilverPhantom



Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 62
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Great news for those who wanted this anime. I personally am going to pass on this one though I've heard all about it and everything it just doesn't catch my eye.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GrilledEelHamatsu



Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 703
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
There's no way this could have been dubbed just now, it had to have been dubbed while the contract was being drawn up since it will be released in about 14 weeks.


Or maybe Sentai actually started the licensing process a while ago, like maybe a few months after the show finished airing in Japan, and have just taken their time getting everything done. For all we know Sentai could be just as slow of FUNimation is in terms of the timeline for a license being finalized to it's eventual release... It's just that while FUNimation announces licenses as soon as possible, Sentai waits until it's time to solicit them.

Also, your theory is already proven wrong because of one title: Guin Saga. If your theory is fact, then we would have had a solictation for Guin Saga by now... Hell, we probably would have had the solicitation for the second half of the show by now, even.

But you probably have an excuse/reason for why Guin Saga is taking so long. My personal feeling is that Animax revealed the license right after it was finalized, forcing Sentai to confirm it but have no real work done on it at that point.


Thats what I'm saying. This title was probably dubbed around the same time the licensing was in progress.

This means the title was dubbed a while ago and has been sitting around unused. Greg Ayers said at Kamikazecon 3 and he repeated the same thing 2 weeks ago that Clannad was dubbed in August 2008 around the same time ADV had gotten the license but sat on it for 18 months.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tuxedocat



Joined: 14 Dec 2009
Posts: 2183
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:34 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard about this show, it practically screams "Go away you female anime fan! Get lost 'cause you suck", so I guess I won't be spending my money on this one. LOL
Still waiting (with money) for Guin Saga though. And very happy to see future installments of Eyeshield and Gintama in the works....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 3732
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Awesome, this should be so much fun in dub form too so really glad to see they're giving this dual-language, and love to see it's also getting a day and date Blu-ray, Section23's doing a nice job on that with these new series Smile

I'll be picking up the BD version.

I'm with you guys too, still waiting with money ready for Guin Saga. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daemonblue



Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 701
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Update 2: Section23 Films has confirmed that its Blu-ray and DVD releases will both have "The Secret of Saint Lilly Academy" anime shorts. In Japan, Avex Marketing had released these six two-minute shorts exclusively on Blu-ray, not on DVD.


Isn't it supposed to be twelve shorts? Don't wanna jump on anyone's back on it, but six isn't twelve :X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 7998
Location: IL
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Quote:
Update 2: Section23 Films has confirmed that its Blu-ray and DVD releases will both have "The Secret of Saint Lilly Academy" anime shorts. In Japan, Avex Marketing had released these six two-minute shorts exclusively on Blu-ray, not on DVD.


Isn't it supposed to be twelve shorts? Don't wanna jump on anyone's back on it, but six isn't twelve :X
Gotta assume that's only for the first half of the release. Splitting the specials in half along with the episode count would only make sense. Granted, I haven't watched 'em, so not sure if there's any particular other order to see them in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dagon123



Joined: 01 Jul 2010
Posts: 194
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
guitarist52692 wrote:
I'm really surprised Needless got licensed. I mean, I'm a fan, but the lolicon fanservice is very rampant, I figured that would kill any chance of NA release. Guess I was wrong though


and FUNimation picked up Vampire Bund and Strike Witches, the latter which has uncensored loli's during the bath episode, and your argument is? Rolling Eyes

The King of Harts wrote:
So where you are, that is cheap, but from where I'm at, that price is a good bit above the bar Funimation has set with their BD releases.


Just like Richard said, not sure what timeline you live in Harts, but the only Blu-rays FUNimation has set the bar in is upscales, that 70 dollar price tag and Sentai's name alone guarantee me I'm not getting garbage, so have fun with you're garbage
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4050
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Awesome, this show was pretty fun I'll definitely pick it up. It rocks that they're dubbing it too.



Well I'm definitely picking it up cause it have an english dub.

UNFORTUNATELY I am disapointed that again for some reason their not gonna include a dub for Gintama and Eyeshield 21. Was hoping that eventaully they'll include one , but I dont see that anytime soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Egan Loo



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 963
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
Quote:
Update 2: Section23 Films has confirmed that its Blu-ray and DVD releases will both have "The Secret of Saint Lilly Academy" anime shorts. In Japan, Avex Marketing had released these six two-minute shorts exclusively on Blu-ray, not on DVD.


Isn't it supposed to be twelve shorts? Don't wanna jump on anyone's back on it, but six isn't twelve :X


Section23 is talking about the first Needless collection's Blu-ray and DVD releases. At least one more collection is needed to complete the series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CCSYueh



Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Posts: 2707
Location: San Diego, CA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Last time I checked my calendar it was the year 2010, almost 2011. We aren't in the early to mid 2000's anymore and there are new rules when it comes to releasing anime in North America. This is like comparing the NFL of today to the NFL of 10 years ago, it's just too different. So you can keep using your imaginary time machine to live in the past, but I'll stay in the present looking at the future. So where you are, that is cheap, but from where I'm at, that price is a good bit above the bar Funimation has set with their BD releases.

I LOVE diet Dr.Pepper, but for some fricken reason all summer long more often than not the "sale" price for Coke products has been 3 2ltrs for $5 while Pepsi & 7-Up have been under $1. A couple times it's been $1.25 & I've have splurged to get that precious diet Dr. Pepper, but overall, I've been going for diet Sunkist & diet cherry Pepsi, wondering how Coke's sales have been this summer & why the hell they aren't discounting as cheap as Pepsi as they always have in the past.

This is what I have never, ever understood about the price argument on anime. Because I really enjoy diet Dr. Pepper, I was willing to pay 50 cents more per 2 ltr than I had been buying Pepsi for. If you really want that anime title that costs a few dollars more, you'll buy it. If not, you'll pass. Maybe you'll wait to see if it gets bundled into a single set for less as I did with Red Garden recently.

But bottom line-all anime is not created equal in the eyes of fans. Each title has those fans who HAVE to have it & are willing to splurge. I don't usually buy half-seasons, but I will this because it is a Koyasu title I've been hoping for. I try to stick to the $20-$30 OP/Gintama price range for boxes anymore, but I splurged $35 for Sengoku Basara because of the awesome cast (Hoshi & Genda are adorable in it.)

You pay the price or you don't. ADV was far, far superior on their humor scripts than Funi has been proving to be for my money so that also makes this worth the money for me if Section23 can come up with a dub more similar to ADV.

Brett Weaver would possibly work. I haven't seen this title. but from his past work, what I've read of this & my knowledge of Koyasu's work, Weaver might be good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1638
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh is right on the money on this. I'm a devoted anime fan myself and I live in Canada where prices are higher for anime and yet if I see a title I love, I'll make the effort to save up. Yes, the price sucks but it doesn't mean that I can't look at the big picture where paying the price means you get to own a copy of your favorite title for the rest of your life!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
rinkwolf10



Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 750
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Now someone just needs to license and dub Inukami Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group