• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Films Adds Action Comedy TV Anime Needless

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprised this got picked up, I figured it would have been ignored. This show was hilarious, it was like a bunch of tropes all crammed into the Japanese version of a 90s American comic book.

I might pick it up, but I'll be waiting for a price drop first.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, thank you everybody. I get it. It's not gonna happen. Please stop crushing my dreams now. Rolling Eyes
We're not trying to crush your dream, we're trying to be practical. Which is unfortunately similar. And I specifically was trying point out money might open doors otherwise closed. In times past, wealthy patrons of the arts allowed for grand masterpieces to be made. I'm sure there are a few frugal fans out there crazy enough to offer a cash reward for casting Crispen Freeman. (Whether anyone would take the attempt seriously enough for it to work is another matter.)

Oh, I know. It's just that by the third person quoting me with "here's all the logical reasons why it won't happen," you get kinda bitter. Razz
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, thank you everybody. I get it. It's not gonna happen. Please stop crushing my dreams now. Rolling Eyes
We're not trying to crush your dream, we're trying to be practical. Which is unfortunately similar. And I specifically was trying point out money might open doors otherwise closed. In times past, wealthy patrons of the arts allowed for grand masterpieces to be made. I'm sure there are a few frugal fans out there crazy enough to offer a cash reward for casting Crispen Freeman. (Whether anyone would take the attempt seriously enough for it to work is another matter.)

I think what Richard J. is trying to point out, like I've mentioned, there are limitations regarding to dub casting of anime. Like he and I pointed out, you need to consider the union issue. Crispin Freeman strictly works in union shops while the studios that Section23 uses happen to be non-union as these studios are located in a "right to work" state. Another factor you need to consider is geography. Crispin Freeman mostly work at LA, California, while Seraphim Digital Studios is located at Houston, Texas. It is actually much cheaper to bring Micah Solusod to work on Needless than to bring Crispin Freeman, as the distance where Solusod work at is much shorter when compared to Crispin Freeman.

The only way Crispin Freeman would work in Needless is if Section23 decided to outsource the dub to (just like what Funimation did with Slayers Evolution). Of course, the chances of Section23 doing something like this is very slim (unless if they decided to use the same VA of the short lived dub cast of Eyeshield 21).

I have to realize the harsh realities of dub casting when they announced they are going to dub Clannad. I really wanted Johnny Yong Bosch to voice Tomoya Okazaki, but I faced a lot of harsh criticisms on that. Turns out most of the criticism were right as Section23 picked up David Matranga instead (apparently, I happen to love Matranga's voice acting on Okazaki, but it certainly wasn't the best).

In other words, he personally would love the idea of having Luci Christian, Kari Wahlgren, Johnny Yong Bosch, Monica Rial, and Michelle Ruff working together in an English dub for Toaru Majutsu no Index, but wants to consider the realities when it comes to who to cast in the dub. What I love about Funimation is that they are great at casting both LA and their own voice actors in the same dub (Sengoku Basara). In fact, there are many LA voice actors who are in good terms with Funimation (Johnny Yong Bosch, Stephanie Sheh, Troy Baker, Travis Willingham, Vic Mignogna, and Laura Bailey; although I should point out that the last four used to work in Texas and the last three were regulars on Funimation dubs before moving to LA).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5