• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Ooku: The Inner Chambers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
To think that I had just finished the Tsunayoshi arc recently and was thinking when Jason was going to cover this Anime hyper Ooku is certainly my favourite Yoshinaga manga (and this is coming from someone who is a BL fangirl) simply because an undercurrent of gravitas prevails even the most mundane actions. Nothing in the manga feels random and no character are motiveless villains or saints, instead each character have their own unique bunch of issues that serves as the basis for their actions.

I read the first volume in English then saw that they had up to volume 4 in Japanese at my university library so ended up reading it in Japanese from there. To be honest I found the archaic Japanese sounded much more natural but all the courtly terminology certainly made everything really complicated.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
While it took me awhile to get used to it, I am really fond of the use of more Middle English words in the translation. It never gets in the way of understanding what is going on and really gives a different feel to the world, which I assume is similar to the effect of the archaic Japanese used originally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2