• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fist Bumps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Raoh wrote:
Sure the review didn't make it seem like that, but honestly, what does that guy know that anyone else doesn't? Reviews are by definition biased.

See, here's the part where you suggest that the review is by no means the objective truth, but rather, simply one man's subjective opinion on the game. A fair point.

Quote:
Sure, this game isn't a masterpiece, but that doesn't make it bad. This game is easily a six or a seven

...aaaaand here's the part where you phrase your subjective opinion on the game in a way that makes it sound like some sort of unbiased, objective truth.

Do ya see the problem?

Do you see the problem in you ignoring the fact that I clearly pointed out I was biased torwards the series?

No? Yeah, didn't think so. Because if you had, you'd know your post is completely pointless. You're trying to point something out, almost ironically, but left out the fact that I obviously showed my bias, thus, any review I give obviously comes my own biased opinion. I don't expect people to judge whether or not to buy this game based on my opinion. However, the author of the original article clearly does.

Maybe next time not quote something and leave out the entire topic, so as to take it out of context. Because in the context of the entire post, my bias is quite obvious, isn't it?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
You're trying to point something out, almost ironically, but left out the fact that I obviously showed my bias, thus, any review I give obviously comes my own biased opinion. I don't expect people to judge whether or not to buy this game based on my opinion. However, the author of the original article clearly does.

Okay...I guess I'm just not really clear then why this is a 'horrible review'. Because it seeks to influence people's decision to play or not play the game? Isn't that pretty much the point of all reviews? To help people decide if they should play the game?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Thankfully, Discotek will be releasing the rest of the anime, so maybe that will shut some people up who only base FotNS off of those early episodes. I won't say whether or not the whole story is "rewarding", as that's mainly up to opinion, but I think many people will be surprised at how deep the story of FotNS can actually get. It is way more than just manly men hitting each other and making other people explode.

If you say so. Personally I never had any real interest in the show. I guess my first impression was that it was unbearably stupid. You're not the first person who's tried to convince me otherwise, I can tell you that much. Perhaps you should save that rant for Todd though.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Because it seeks to influence people's decision to play or not play the game? Isn't that pretty much the point of all reviews? To help people decide if they should play the game?

No. The point of a review should be to tell about the actual content of the work at hand. I hold no respect for reviewers who review based on insignificant things like consumer buying decisions. If someone is to tell that there is money involved, it takes away the credibility. As for this review, well I've seen worse, so it's decent at least. It has some weird complaints like having long levels? He obviously hasn't played DW: Gundam 2, where you can take on a seemingly huge level in 5-7 minutes even underleveled, which just doesn't give the fights the oomph that they need. This is a big step up in the franchise I'd say.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Raoh wrote:
You're trying to point something out, almost ironically, but left out the fact that I obviously showed my bias, thus, any review I give obviously comes my own biased opinion. I don't expect people to judge whether or not to buy this game based on my opinion. However, the author of the original article clearly does.

Okay...I guess I'm just not really clear then why this is a 'horrible review'. Because it seeks to influence people's decision to play or not play the game? Isn't that pretty much the point of all reviews? To help people decide if they should play the game?

What naninanino said.

Also, this game really doesn't need any reviews. It has a demo out on every system its avaliable for. People can play the game, for free, and decide whether or not its a purchase for them or not.

When it comes down to it, all reviews do is seek to express an opinion. Opinions are, as you said earlier, subjective. I never read reviews to actually find out whether a game is good. I play it, and decide myself. Of course, this means I spend a lot of money on video games, but I also have Gamefly, so every time I an unsure if a game will be good or not, its on the list.

I think people just need to stop giving Reviews so much power. People really need to start just playing a game to see whether its good or not. Because its always different from person to person. Where as this game got a fairly negative review here, which, by the way is an anime site, not a video game site, Destructoid gave it a very good review. Destructoid is a video game site, however.

So, even if you where to base your opinion on a review for this game, would you give more credit to the review of a video game on an anime website or a video game website? I think the answer to that should be obvious. That is, of course, if you decide to let outside sources influence your purchasing and playing decisions.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When it comes down to it, all reviews do is seek to express an opinion. Opinions are, as you said earlier, subjective. I never read reviews to actually find out whether a game is good.

Then why exactly do you read reviews?

Personally, I find reviews helpful. I don't see the point of wasting my time playing a game if it's generally panned by critics. If you're willing to just play every game you're at all interested in to see if it's good first hand then by all means do so. But then why not just skip the reviews altogether instead of reading them just so you can come in here and complain about how horrible they are?

Quote:
No. The point of a review should be to tell about the actual content of the work at hand.

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, you want it to present an unbiased description of the content without offering an opinion on whether or not it's any good? If so, you want a summary, not a review. If that's what you're looking for I'd recommend Wikipedia.
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Quote:
When it comes down to it, all reviews do is seek to express an opinion. Opinions are, as you said earlier, subjective. I never read reviews to actually find out whether a game is good.

Then why exactly do you read reviews?

Personally, I find reviews helpful. I don't see the point of wasting my time playing a game if it's generally panned by critics. If you're willing to just play every game you're at all interested in to see if it's good first hand then by all means do so. But then why not just skip the reviews altogether instead of reading them just so you can come in here and complain about how horrible they are?

Because I have the right to do so. Simple as that. I will read a review of a game based off of my favorite anime series. If the review itself isn't up to standards, or seems too opinionative and less factual, then I will make comments in regards to it.

That is my right, whether you like it or not. I don't read reviews. I read this review and didn't like it. You're assuming based on that fact that I read reviews normally, and thats your mistake.

At the same time, you can read reviews if you want. However, taking the opinion of someone you do not know or have never met is even more asinine than just playing the game and deciding whether or not to like it. As I said before, the demo is FREE. Theres no reason not to try it, unless, of course, you never intended to in the first place, and are just trying to argue the point because you feel like it. Which seems to be the case, I am assuming.
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
You're not the target audience for reviews, then. He's not trying to appeal to you. He's trying to appeal to people who want to know whether or not the game is good.

And demos are good too, but hardly perfect. Consider one I downloaded recently, for Ninja Gaiden 2. It's a lot of fun to play! But before assuming that the full game is ALSO a lot of fun to play, consider:

It only includes one level. Every review I've read mentions poor level design in later levels, so this would blindside me if I purchased based on the demo alone.
It only includes two types of enemy.
In normal play, you start with one weapon at its first skill level. The demo includes four weapons, all at maximum skill levels. Combine this with the previous point and it's clear that gameplay balance is completely unrepresentative of what's found in the actual game.
There are no bosses. Boss combat was a major part of the first game.

Reviews aren't perfect; they require you to translate somebody else's opinions to your own. But demos only show you what they want to - they're playable ads. That's not perfect either.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Because I have the right to do so. Simple as that. I will read a review of a game based off of my favorite anime series. If the review itself isn't up to standards, or seems too opinionative and less factual, then I will make comments in regards to it.

Of course you have the right, but that doesn't make it any less absurd. Yes, you want fact rather than opinion. However, all reviews are opinion, not fact. That's their intended purpose, to communicate opinion. By all means, go read a synopsis or a summary and complain because it contains too much opinion. That would make sense since those things are intended to provide a simple, opinion-free description. However, what you're doing here is like buying an oven and then complaining that it doesn't wash dishes. That's not what it's supposed to do.
Peretz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the PSOne Import release of Money Idol Exchanger on PSN in the "Next Week's Releases" section? Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Sonic Colors: I'll believe it when I see it.

Um...okay.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Um...okay.

I can't tell if you're trying to be helpful or a little know-it-all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4