• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2005 April Fools Jokes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:33 am Reply with quote
No offense, but I think last year's pranks were better than this time around. Maybe it is just a testimony to the greatness of Cookie-san no Newsroom, but this year's joke's left me a little flat. Of coarse you will never, ever top the sheer hilarity of the "ScoobyDoo Meets Batman" review. Laughing
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
depression wrote:
Powerpuff Girls were an original creation by Craig McCracken who works for Cartoon Network and the animation for the show was done by CN. Thus PPG is not an anime show since the animation was not done it Japan or by a Japanese company but instead just an American Cartoon.

Well..wait a minute. I thought the Power Puff Girls WAS animated. o_O

Anime is just a shortened word for animation. The word animation is French. Anime over in North America is just an easier way to seperate the Japanese anime with the American anime. ^__^ Why can't just say "Japanese cartoons"? Because that's what it is. o_O
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
LilyChan wrote:
depression wrote:
Powerpuff Girls were an original creation by Craig McCracken who works for Cartoon Network and the animation for the show was done by CN. Thus PPG is not an anime show since the animation was not done it Japan or by a Japanese company but instead just an American Cartoon.

Anime is just a shortened word for animation. The word animation is French. Anime over in North America is just an easier way to seperate the Japanese anime with the American anime. ^__^ Why can't just say "Japanese cartoons"? Because that's what it is. o_O

Wait... did you just... carry an entire conversation by yourself? I coulda sworn it read like dialogue.

Anyway... people don't say "Japanese cartoons" because, like you said in your... dialogue, "anime" is used to differentiate between the two mediums: Japanese and American cartoons. Because it's the Japanese word for cartoons, it's used to mean Japanese cartoons. It's like how we use the word "salsa" to mean a spicy sauce, when all it really means is just "sauce."
LilyChan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
LilyChan wrote:
depression wrote:

Wait... did you just... carry an entire conversation by yourself? I coulda sworn it read like dialogue.

Anyway... people don't say "Japanese cartoons" because, like you said in your... dialogue, "anime" is used to differentiate between the two mediums: Japanese and American cartoons. Because it's the Japanese word for cartoons, it's used to mean Japanese cartoons. It's like how we use the word "salsa" to mean a spicy sauce, when all it really means is just "sauce."

Okay, so I'm a little schizo. xD;

Ahh. Very Happy That makes things a little bit more clear.
JesusFreak84

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The only one I actually didn't think was a joke was the first one. The others were obvious, to me, but since I had never heard of the anime in the first story (and now wish I still hadn't <_< ) I had no way of figuring it out. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2