• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars Gets Oscar-Qualifying Run in California

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
lostinagoodbook wrote:
I'm definitely going to be there to see this movie in theaters. I wanted to see it in Anaheim recently but my kid wants to see it too and he has trouble with subtitles. I'm assuming this is the dub since it will already have been released. This will be great!

It'll be the same version that they have to submit for the Oscars voting, so yes, it's likely the dub.

Kyogissun wrote:
Maybe Funimation will luck out. Someone important and with a lot of money will see it and go 'OH MY GOD, THAT WAS GREAT, MORE PEOPLE NEED TO SEE THIS' and fund a small fortune to get it some marketing and theater runs.

Heheh, someone that rich and powerful wouldn't go into that theater. Laughing
drdr48

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I loved UP, but The Secret of Kells is a masterpiece! It deserved the Oscar! I hope Summer Wars gets it's nomination and does well. I don't know that it has a chance to win with all of the big name US animation that came out this year, but I would be willing to bet it will be MY favorite! (I haven't seen TS3, since my kids didn't want to go. I would have liked to, but I expect I will Netflix-it.)

Up was a masterpiece, too!
drdr48

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
FANTASTIC! I'm rooting for this one, sure Toy Story 3 will probably win, but a nomination will be great for anime recognition. Also, Secret of Kells should have one last year to, but Up was a great film so I'll let it slide. Im watching you academy, a foreign animated film will win one of these days!

You mean, like Miyazaki's Spirited Away won!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Maybe Funimation will luck out. Someone important and with a lot of money will see it and go 'OH MY GOD, THAT WAS GREAT, MORE PEOPLE NEED TO SEE THIS' and fund a small fortune to get it some marketing and theater runs.

Not highly likely, but I'm wishing the best for them.
More like they would see it and say "lets Americanise it and do it live action." Rolling Eyes
Reibooi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm really annoyed with this to be honest.

I have seen Summer Wars and I have seen Toy Story 3.

Logically there should be no way someone can say that TS3 is a better film.

Sure it's a great kids movie with a few jokes in there for the parents but it's not even CLOSE to being the best animated movie of all time as Disney loves to imply.

While i would not say that Summer Wars is the best animated movie either I would easily say that it's a better animated feature from every angle. In my opinion it looks better. Has more interesting characters and a more interesting story. From what I have heard of the dub it sounds just as good as any Hollywood movie.

But the behind the scenes politics will see to it that another Pixar movie wins regardless of if it deserves it or not.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
in order to qualify for the 83rd Annual Academy Awards, films must run commercially for at least seven consecutive days in a Los Angeles County theater.

Because as we all know, LA County is the only place in America that matters.

Rules 2 and 3 of the official Academy Awards Rules, a film must open in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in Los Angeles County, California, to qualify (except for the Best Foreign Language Film).
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to be a really good boy and wait until this comes out in a theater near me before I see it. I saw the U.S. trailer and it does look so much like Digimon: Our War Game. Am I the only one though who is ecstatic by this? I can understand "seeing the same movie twice" but I LOVED Our War Game SO much. It was so creative and fun and fresh and to see it in another re-iteration makes me want to see this EVEN MORE.

If anything the fact that he can reuse the same premise and have it be astoundingly successful should be proof enough that "even if it follows Our War Game, so what".
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Tch. Can D.C. get a little love up in here?! I wish to kidnap friends and drag them to this!!

I'm rooting for Summer Wars to get a nomination, and How To Train Your Dragon to get the win. I love Pixar and Toy Story, but 3 just didn't really do it for me nearly as much as Dragons.

I saw mentions of Despicable Me. If the academy even THINKS that movie should be considered for a nomination, I will hurl. And then I will find someone to contact and scream at. That movie had NOTHING to give! Animation was sub-par at best, the storyline was completely bogus, predicable, and bare bones. They overused the minions to the point where they were irritating, and the best parts of that film were literally all in the trailers. It was the WORST $10 I ever spent on a theater ticket, and I would rather see Vegetales get a nomination before that piece of garbage.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Quote:
in order to qualify for the 83rd Annual Academy Awards, films must run commercially for at least seven consecutive days in a Los Angeles County theater.

Because as we all know, LA County is the only place in America that matters.

Rules 2 and 3 of the official Academy Awards Rules, a film must open in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in Los Angeles County, California, to qualify (except for the Best Foreign Language Film).

Um, yes? I know, that's what I was responding to, the fact that the rules treat LA County like it's the only county that matters. Apparently members of the academy cannot be expected to watch anything they could not have taken a five minute drive to...

And as for all the talk about dubbed vs subtitled, are we all forgetting that Persepolis was nominated in the original French? *le sigh*
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Tch. Can D.C. get a little love up in here?! I wish to kidnap friends and drag them to this!!

As a fellow Washingtonian (D.C. resident ;D), I hope that Summer Wars will be playing at the Regal Cinema in Chinatown so my fellow Otaku friends & I can watch this.

Haven't seen it subbed or dubbed, but I'll prefer it either way! ^^
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:44 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
I loved UP, but The Secret of Kells is a masterpiece! It deserved the Oscar!

"Yo, UP, I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish, but Secret of Kellis is one of the best films of all time! OF ALL TIME!"

Razz

I really hope Summer Wars does well. I've only heard good things about it, and even if it doesn't win, attention and media presence is what anime really needs right now. We also need more internationally recognised and respect directors - the only one I can think of at the moment is Miyazaki.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
I hope it gets recognized and nominated! I really want to see it. Too bad it's not playing anywhere in Toronto...
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The shortlist is out, but Yogi Bear was ruled ineligible so there's only 15 eligible films for 3 nomination slots, one film short for the full 5 slots.

“Alpha and Omega”
“Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore”
“Despicable Me”
“The Dreams of Jinsha”
“How to Train Your Dragon”
“Idiots and Angels”
“The Illusionist”
“Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole”
“Megamind”
“My Dog Tulip”
“Shrek Forever After”
“Summer Wars”
“Tangled”
“Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue”
“Toy Story 3”

Sorry, Summer Wars would need to pull off a tremendous upset against either How to Train Your Dragon or The Illusionist to make it to the final Oscar ballot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The Associated Press is reporting that there will only be three nominees for best animated feature films at the upcoming Academy Awards:

Animated Oscar race to feature only 3 nominees

Only fifteen films were accepted for consideration, just one short of the sixteen required to expand the category to five nominees.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi, it looks like I was working on my post as your were posting yours. Thanks for providing the list of all fifteen titles being considered; the article at the AP didn't list them all.

But I have to agree with you that Summer Wars is going to be a "dark horse" for making it to the final three slots. All we can do now is hope for the best...

Tenchi wrote:
The shortlist is out, but Yogi Bear was ruled ineligible so there's only 15 eligible films for 3 nomination slots, one film short for the full 5 slots.

“Alpha and Omega”
“Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore”
“Despicable Me”
“The Dreams of Jinsha”
“How to Train Your Dragon”
“Idiots and Angels”
“The Illusionist”
“Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole”
“Megamind”
“My Dog Tulip”
“Shrek Forever After”
“Summer Wars”
“Tangled”
“Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue”
“Toy Story 3”

Sorry, Summer Wars would need to pull off a tremendous upset against either How to Train Your Dragon or The Illusionist to make it to the final Oscar ballot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3