• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anchor Bay Adds Live-Action Battle Royale 3D in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
Holy crap. About time for the USA to license it! I was stuck with bootleg versions of the film, when I didn't know a thing about bootlegs, and got rid of them in hopes of finding legit copies. I was sad that there weren't any except in the UK.

This makes me happy that its FINALLY getting an American release! In 3D no less? That should be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Of course it's going to get a theatrical release if Anchor Bay licensed the 3D version. Hardly anyone has 3D TVs yet and it wouldn't be worth the very expensive price of licensing. On the other hand, putting 3D movies in theaters is such a trend right now that 4Kids is actually giving Yu-Gi-Oh!: Bonds Beyond Time a limited theatrical release.

I don't expect the 3D conversion of Battle Royale to be very good, though. So much of the film is dark and murky, which doesn't work well with 3D.

You know what's super great? Battle Royale is apparently actually making it to American theaters before Hunger Games. Hopefully Anchor Bay advertises it as a classic so people who aren't familiar with it won't be quick to consider it a knock-off. I remember when I first saw an ad for Kimba the White Lion on an old Pokémon VHS tape and was shocked at how obvious a ripoff of The Lion King it was. Seriously, there's Pride Rock, a lion with a scar over his eye, and the main character's name is just one letter away from Simba! I didn't learn until years later that Kimba came much, much earlier.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Is anyone really going to watch this who wouldn't otherwise just because it's in 3D?

You'd be surprised. Usually, the film being in 3D is the draw for such films. Though I agree the practice is lame, like 3D itself. It is such a holy grail at the moment though that tons of theatres are sadly digitizing their auditoriums and every major film has to be converted if they want that sweet piece of "3D experience" ticket markup pie. It's probably why they licensed this version anyway. To get in on the tend.

This is, what, the third time Hollywood's gone to the 3D well as a way to "save" the industry? The so-called "future of cinema" if you believe the likes of Katzenberg (they said the same thing about CGI movies too). Actually, I'm surprised most people in this thread also seem to dislike it as well.

I'm extremely surprised and pleased to see BR get a US release. It's about time Toei finally let us have it. I saw it ages ago and loved it more than I expected to. I'm even reading the novel at the moment. Maybe it's because I saw it fist, but i think the movie does a great job of carrying the books themes. Much better than the manga as well. They both changed a bunch, but the manga ups the violence to the point of distraction.

I trust we'll be getting the 2D version as well. 3D makes NO sense for this film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to this news I decided to watch this film. A coworker once said it was a cool film while I was hijacking the restaurant's TV (at work) to watch Tales of Earthsea on Film 4 when I told him it was a Japanese animation. But as I just tend to ignore what others say...
Anyway, pretty good film for something from 2000. Up to this date I've seen quite a few similar stuff, so the film's originality isn't as effective on me.
All the characters aside, that teacher sure is a piece of work. Definitely my favorite character.

I don't see how 3d would make it any better though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Renaissance:
Quote:
It's about time Toei finally let us have it.

It came out after Columbine. What was the company supposed to do? I mean, FFS, they were delaying an episode of Buffy, because of that shooting. Hell, even Van Sant's Elephant was considered "too soon", even though it came out years later. Still, these are the same idiots who thought One Piece would do gang-busters with 4Kids, while pulling Sailor Moon from circulation in favor of the Sweet Valley High-esque Japanese remake and Precure would be cheaper than paying the creator, so you might have a point about Toei.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2