• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Hentai Schmentai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatOneMan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
...... Just one small caveat: The boxsets are expensive as HELL. One boxset, i've seen go from at least $75 and up. Of course, you have alternatives......

In case you wanted to support legal streaming (and live in the USA), both Crunchyroll and DramaFever provide such services.

Edit: hahah, I feel like an idiot. I did not even watch the YouTube video and made that statement. Just ignore this.

Last edited by ThatOneMan on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I'm pretty sure he meant Princess Lover since that does have a hentai version. Why do I know this?

I have a serious question: How much longer are going to be in this "Let's bash fanservice a thousand times a day and make it sound like it's dominating the industry when it's really not, and yes I know I can watch something else, but I like complaining a lot" tizzy? Just curious.

I like hentai occasionally. Fanservice is fun.

There. Eat it, fanservice bashers! Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
ThatOneMan wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
...... Just one small caveat: The boxsets are expensive as HELL. One boxset, i've seen go from at least $75 and up. Of course, you have alternatives......

In case you wanted to support legal streaming (and live in the USA), both Crunchyroll and DramaFever provide such services.

The joke flew over you head........
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
It seems most of those who answered this week's question were talking not about what they hate, not what pulls them out of a show. Something like a bad dub of a character can, especially if you're use to how the Japanese VA sounds.

Speaking of foreign animation, France probably produces some of the best non-anime and non-NA animation around. Russia also has a long history of animation, although they often don't have the budgets. Japan is probably the biggest producer of animation so it tends to get the most attention.
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
So a quick Google Search reveals that this Sarah Hyland person is either:

or:

...I am very, very honestly not sure of what to make of either or why anybody would want to go through ANN to deliver a love letter to either person.

Also this is very weird.
TheRoyalFamily

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't think of anything last week, but when I saw the intro to the first Answerfan response, I knew what one thing really pulls me out of a story - stock footage. Now I'm not talking original Star Trek "Enterprise orbits random red/blue/green planet" stock footage; I'm totally fine with that; no, it's the Deep Space Nine "reuse battle scenes in future battles" stock footage (it REALLY bugged me when the big finale used footage from a previous, much smaller battle).

I love Robotech to death, but I'll be damned if I haven't seen the same set of fighters get destroyed a dozen times or more, and the SDF-1 take the exact same broadside in the exact same places.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
A bit more on the Korean stuff, since this came up quite a bit at CPM (anyone remember Hammerboy or Doggie Poo?) and at ImaginAsian.

There are a decent number of Korean-produced anime, but the system is very different than Japan and the vast majority of what gets produced isn't something anyone over 10 would want to watch. There are a few decent series (Spheres, which has not been released stateside, and Michel, which ADV released), and a watchable movie here and there (My Beautiful Girl Mari has been mentioned), but by and large, most Korean attempts at making anime-style animation have fallen flat. When big projects are attempted, the local population really don't seem to care, and they end up losing money. The Korean government keeps throwing money at the problem, but so far they have little to show for it.

While Korea has the mechanics of anime down pretty well, their storytelling and their artistic gravitas have, so far, left a lot to be desired. It's like the animators aren't getting a full film school education -- coloring and shading choices are awkward, editing makes no sense, writing is sophomoric, etc. With those sort of creative issues and little money floating around (the Korean film industry is NOT what it was in 2001), most new animation these days tends to be aimed at pushing character goods like Pucca and Mashimaro, and TV output is pretty much exclusively brightly colored little kids' shows.

Some other Korean anime that's been released stateside: Bastof Syndrome (ADV), Red Hawk (Manga Ent), Armageddon (Manga Ent). The latter two were dub only, and way OOP now.
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Flake of the week = deranged time traveler from the 90's. xD I think I liked the yeti video from last week better, though...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
If the flake was joking you would think that he would have mentioned Diane Hyland for the extra joke of her having died in the 70's.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Um... I hope Brian can answer this, but what do you mean for "the year they were released"? In Japan? In America? Do they have to have been actually eligible, or can we just make it up?
The way that the question is posed, it seems like they don't have to have been actually eligible, but that makes the first part even more ambiguous ...

... after all, for an international film to be eligible for an Oscar, it needs to be released in the US within a year after its domestic release. But if we are not limited to Oscar-eligible films, the domestic release could have been the 90's and the US release in this last decade.

As long as its Fantasy Academy Awards, I'd go with the full fledged fantasy supposing that the film (or series) had got a US release in the same year, which ones should have beat out their competition for that year.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
I think I know what I'm gonna put for the Question of the Week but sort of confused...

It's my first time answering so I'll try my best '^-^
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:55 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
If the flake was joking you would think that he would have mentioned Diane Hyland for the extra joke of her having died in the 70's.

Yeah, I guess given the age clientel of ANN (no offense or generalizations meant) I'm guessing he means the younger one (I guess she's from one of those teen shows on the Disney channel) and that he's, unfortunately, serious.

And given some of the oddball requests Brian gets (requests for anime episodes or to meet with people or whatever), frankly at this point I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
Sarah Hyland is on The Soup right now. Oo la la..

Imperial_Commander wrote:
I'm guessing he means the younger one (I guess she's from one of those teen shows on the Disney channel)

Correction. Modern Family on ABC.

Sunday Silence wrote:
The guy or gal wanting to learn Korean needs to immerse themselves in some K-Drama. Just one small caveat: The boxsets are expensive as HELL. One boxset, i've seen go from at least $75 and up.

$75 is considered expensive as hell for a boxset now??? Yowza. I must be rich or something.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
Man, I love that song from Bleach. Number One is a big ol' ball of cheesy awesome. It is absolutely on my gym playlist.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
Is it physically possible to set fire to a website? Because if "longtime reader, first time poster" becomes a trend, I will pour lighter fluid ALL OVER your internets!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4