• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars' Current U.S. Theatrical Dates Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if I can convince our local art house theater to do it? I mean, we're not exactly a huge market, but they've aired stranger things. Or at the very least, can someone in Kansas City get this? I would drive an hour for it.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Aw man, They never play these types of things in the Washington DC area. Listings are disappoint.

Seriously? Have you never been to the Free and Sackler Gallery at the Smithsonian? They run anime related stuff all the time. I saw Paprika (along with Kon himself) there, and last winter had a huge feature on Osamu Tezuka where they showed many of his works.

It is totally worth checking out. I checked out the calendar and while they don't have any anime this month they do have Linda Linda Linda and Rashomon. http://www.asia.si.edu/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Sad Nothing in Texas? I mean Dallas, 5th largest media market and so forth. I would love it if they added Dallas later on. I would definitely go and force my family and friends to go, too.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
pantsmca wrote:
>no Canadian release
Not surprised.

Toronto used to be good to anime theatrical releases. What happened? It's still a good anime market as far as big cities are concerned, so I don't get it.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
WOHOO! playing in Boston, near my area no less!(well kinda, I live in NH) ON MY BIRTHDAY! wow couldn't have planned this better myself.
braves

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
So, what happened to the Alamo Drafthouse right here in Houston? They still have the "Anime at the Alamo" event which runs in cooperation with FUNimation, so what gives? Just like others have noted, I'm surprised there isn't a single showing in Texas. [/more complaints and rage]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
NeoMaster1 wrote:
Wait a minute, they're actually showing it down here in New Mexico? I will definitely be taking that hour-long drive to Santa Fe to go see it. Heck, while I'm up there, I might even stop by Ten Thousand Waves for a bit as well (that is, if I have the means to do so at the time Wink ). I've never been there during the winter. Anyway...

Thanks FUNimation!

I see they have asian film screening there as well, now that would be the place to go and relax, and watch a good anime movie, a shame I live in central florida,

the eureka seven movie was shown at disneys pleasure island theater, wonder if enough people request it, they might consider showing summer wars there, maybe even in one of the big theaters with the 3rd level balcony seats, those are great,

I haven't been there in years, because of an accident, been cooped up so long in my room recovering, after I recovered, I got so used to just staying in my room so long, all I ever do is work, school, then hide in my room watching anime and playing games, but this movie would drag me out of the house,
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
No Atlanta showing? Seriously? Huh. That actually surprises me, what with there being none in the South whatsoever, but none in Texas? Perhaps they'll add more later?

I'm gonna have to call up a few theaters and suggest they get this. I can only imagine how many other people intend to see this movie.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This is the Oscar Run in the US, yes? Well, then, I'm not too surprised by their choice of locations (they probably picked the locations with the highest density of Academy Voters) inside the US, with no Canadian showing (thus far).

How many movie-type people live in high concentrations outside the places they're screening (well, maybe Florida)? But no love for the Midwest or the South, which doesn't surprise me, if my Academy hypothesis is correct.

I'm am rather surprised that Portland, OR (or anywhere in Oregon, like Eugene, or one of the other major college towns) isn't getting a screening, considering as the film's hitting Cali and Washington State in Seattle (where I live).

All that said, if demand and word of mouth is great enough (I remember seeing Howl's Moving Castle in Missoula, MT at a small screening house) I could see them expanding to other locations.

Moral: GO OUT AND SEE IT! I will.
xLucix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
That's odd. The AMC near me in VA usually gets some anime films. Maybe I should pester them Anime smile

~Luci
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
How about a release in Michigan Somewhere please. Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
From the article:

"GKids is handling the film's distribution, and other theaters can contact GKids to arrange a showing."

So have your theaters contact Gkids.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
And again KC is ignored and doesn't get an anime in local theaters, figures. But I'm not taking this sitting down! I'm going to rally the local anime fans to contact the theaters in the area and see if we can't get a screening of it by request.

Does anyone else think it's weird that Funimation is awful at getting any real theatrical releases from their movies? Because when Bandai does a movie release they tend to get it into a surprisingly large amount of theaters. Yet Funimation kind of just shows their anime movies in random film festivals. Is this because Bandai gets more backing from their Japanese parent company or is it because Funimation just doesn't want to invest that much money on a larger release?
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Quote:
Want to see Summer Wars come to your city? Ask your local theater to contact Gkids to arrange for a showing. Remember, the best way to get more anime in theaters is to support anime in theaters. Go see Summer Wars with your family, a friend or ten!

Hmm, since Phoenix isn't listed yet, I wonder if bugging the little arthouse theatre in Tempe that usually get this kind of thing will yield any results. Anime does tends to do well there, from what I've heard.

According to the guy that runs the theater on Mill, Eva 1.01 did really really well. We want Summer Wars here. Lets start contacting theaters.

Yes. I am so happy to see more people on board with this. I really hope the Tempe theater gets it. I'm going to request it to them too. It is nice seeing others who where really happy about Eva being there. The crowds seeing Eva seemed to get larger as the week went on.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Does anyone else think it's weird that Funimation is awful at getting any real theatrical releases from their movies? Because when Bandai does a movie release they tend to get it into a surprisingly large amount of theaters. Yet Funimation kind of just shows their anime movies in random film festivals. Is this because Bandai gets more backing from their Japanese parent company or is it because Funimation just doesn't want to invest that much money on a larger release?

The main reason is because Bandai uses Fathom Events, which can get screenings nationwide at participating theaters (and its digital, so no expensive film print is required). Funimaton generally uses smaller distributers (such as GKIDS, their partner for Summer Wars), which is why their stuff is usually only seen in afew arthouse theaters or big theaters in major cities, usually in California and New York.

As for why Funi doesn't use Fathom, I have no idea. Actually, I do recall Funi using them once back in 2007 for the FMA movie, but they haven't used Fathom since. Maybe they had issues with them or something?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5