• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Clannad Anime Film with Dub, Sub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
I am so excited Anime smile, I'll finally be able to start watching Clannad soon Very Happy.

(I will not watch S1 Dub until S2 Dub and Movie Dub are out)
From one English dub fan to another, go ahead and get Clannad season 1! It has a good closed ending so you won't be sitting there after watching breathless like with a cliffhanger. Plus what better way to pass the time waiting than watching the first season over and over?

I'm super excited about this news! First Section23 making with the Needless dub and now this. I didn't like Clannad quite as much as Kanon (there's just a few elements that didn't work perfectly for me but I still loved it!) but I've been desperately hoping that After Story would get the English dub treatment it deserves too.

Thanks Sentai! You've earned serious points with me today! Anime hyper

Now all I need is for someone to animate and dub a Kyou OVA highlighting her perfection. Like an idol video. With a scene in the gym storage room. Twisted Evil

*Gak! Edited to fix severe writing failure!
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
There is a God!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
I am so excited Anime smile, I'll finally be able to start watching Clannad soon Very Happy.

(I will not watch S1 Dub until S2 Dub and Movie Dub are out)
From one English dub fan to another, go ahead and get Clannad season 1! It has a good closed ending so you won't be sitting there after watching breathless like with a cliffhanger. Plus what better way to pass the time waiting than watching the first season over and over?

I'll think about it Smile.
Manny88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Stay away from the Clannad movie... i'm a huge Clannad fan, bought the original Sentai DVDs for S1 and After Story that don't have the dub when they came out, but i will not be buying this movie. it's just that bad even more so if you watch the TV series first. Also Kyoto Animation > Toei Animation anyday.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I was smart to wait for these, because I knew it was going to happen, I always tell myself I'll get Clannad, I just never get around to scrounging up the money for it.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
I'll think about it Smile.
That's all I ask. Cool

Well, okay, I also want a carved starfish. Life isn't complete without a starfish. (Kyou or Fuko? Which do like best? Why not both?)

Seriously, I'm very excited here. This is one English dub fan who will absolutely put his money where his fandom is! (Even though I'm sure they'll use a stackpak again.

I just hope they work diligently but quickly on this one. Clannad After Story with English dub needs to come out soon so I can buy it!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, they got the movie.

I'll be able to own a decent ending to Clannad now.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This is great news! I'm looking forward to seeing these dubs! I hope Sentai dubs more.

I'll check out Clannad: The Movie anyway, even though many say it's bad.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh good, they got the movie.

I'll be able to own a decent ending to Clannad now.

Someone knows a good thing! Good to see someone know what a good ending is!!!!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Cool about the dub for Clannad After Story - that means the subtitles should be cleaned up (I just couldn't stand many of the voices in the dub, so I'll just be picking this up for the cleaner sub-version). And I'll check out the movie as well just to complete the series.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
My wish came true! *continues with happy dance*

Will definitely be getting the DVD when its available.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
Nice! Clannad Movie and After Story GET! Now Maria Holic and To Love Ru Next please!!! And later like in 2012 Clannad giant boxset on Blu-Ray I don't care how many time you guys release Clannad I will buy it. Even if you release it on VHS!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:57 am Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
I just hope they don't release it in a ugly fat pack DVD case like they did with the first season. I want a nice collectors artbox like ADV's Air and Kanon dubs.
Hell I'd settle for a plain flip case, but the stack packs Sentai has been using are crap and don't help to keep scratches off discs. Knock it off Sentai.

Indeed. They should always use packaging which limits the odds of the discs getting scratched. Putting multpile discs on a single clip or spindle just doesn't cut it. That kind of stuff makes me feel like I have to hurry and rip my discs in case they get damaged. At least they aren't putting them in cardboard sleeves like Media Blasters and Funimation have done for some releases. My Rurouni Kenshin discs are majorly scratched because of that.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
Manny88 wrote:
Stay away from the Clannad movie... i'm a huge Clannad fan, bought the original Sentai DVDs for S1 and After Story that don't have the dub when they came out, but i will not be buying this movie. it's just that bad even more so if you watch the TV series first. Also Kyoto Animation > Toei Animation anyday.

Yeah, the movie is a severely neutered version of the series that made little-to-no sense. Those who haven't seen it can expect spoiler[no Ryou & Fuko in the movie, with Kotomi(who has no speaking lines) on screen only a few seconds.] Yeah, they took out some of the fun characters. Even their movie before this(Air) did a better job with the story than Clannad did.

As for After Story taking so long for a dub, it might be due to them working to dub other shows. I know Highschool of the Dead is supposed to be getting a english dub release here sometime. As for To Love-ru getting a dub, it just doesn't seem like something that would work well with an english dub.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
As for To Love-ru getting a dub, it just doesn't seem like something that would work well with an english dub.

Ultimately, I think that it's a question of sales. If Sentai thinks that they can make money by going back and doing a dub, then they likely will. If they don't think that they can, then they won't. Most any show can work with a dub, so I don't think that that's really the question (though some shows do have more problems with it due to translation issues and whatnot).

Much as I love dubs though, increasingly, I'm looking for Sentai to dub series simply because the only series that they've been putting on Blu-ray are the ones that they dub, and I want everything on Blu-ray that I can. It's particularly frustrating when HD fansubs exist, but we're stuck with DVD R1 releases. Ideally, pretty much everything would be dubbed, but personally, I care more about Blu-ray than a dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6