• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Clannad Anime Film with Dub, Sub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
They're finally getting that people want their anime dubbed and subbed. I'm defintely getting this!

They've always known that. But it's just that some series don't have enough sales potential to warrant the cost of a dub.

Anyway, good to see them dubbing After Story and picking up the movie. I'm actually a bit surprised to see them grab it as well. But it's pleasant surprise. I will be picking both up.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
The artwork just blows me away.

That's one of the reasons why I love the Clannad TV series.

Quote:
I figure they are "must have" since it's done by the same crew that brought us Air and Kanon :)

If I were pre-judging Clannad with my views of Air, I would have skipped Clannad. I didn't like either the story or the character designs for that series. I bought the cheap Funi release of Kanon, but I haven't watched it yet.

Quote:
It's worth a wallet work out

I would agree, because I bought the BD release of the first series. I'm kinda dreading the eventual one for After Story...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
You spent ~$600 on the Clannad BD Box?

Very impressive. I'm sure an After Story BD Box is in the works.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Could have sworn that I read some where that Sentai already announced that they would dub this series, but probably not with a confirmed street date.

Hopefully the shows that they do dub do well, wouldn't mind some shows dubbed that weren't dubbed when they initially licensed them.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Thanks you, I've been holding off on watching Clannad until I knew they will dub the second season. How I can start.

Also, hope they go back and dub, S.A. and To Love RU.

No kidding. Those are definitely some series I want to see dubbed, and I definitely want to see the new seasons of Hell Girl that they picked up to be dubbed too.

However this is Sentai we're talking about here , so though I'm glad their doing this for clannad , I probably wont hold my breath for the other series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Hmm... I don't think that the exchange rate was quite that bad back then. AmazonJP indicates that the total price at the end of April, when it shipped to me, was "only" ¥46,088, so that was probably in the low-$500 range.

Quote:
I'm sure an After Story BD Box is in the works.

I'm sure that it is, and I'm somewhat dreading it because of the current exchange rate. ;_;
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Hmm... I don't think that the exchange rate was quite that bad back then. AmazonJP indicates that the total price at the end of April, when it shipped to me, was "only" ¥46,088, so that was probably in the low-$500 range.
I guess since you spent that much, you're going to answer in the affirmative but was it really worth it? $500 for just one anime series, even Clannad, seems a little much. (Especially when you look at how much you could have gotten otherwise with that cash.)

Sometimes I wonder if my contacts/glasses need a power up because I'm just not seeing a big enough jump in quality with Blu-Rays to ever want to spend that much. I keep thinking of how much more I could get for the same bucks.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if my contacts/glasses need a power up because I'm just not seeing a big enough jump in quality with Blu-Rays to ever want to spend that much. I keep thinking of how much more I could get for the same bucks.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, this is an honest question, but have you ever looked at them side by side or have you just looked at shots from a BD without a comparison shot?

Clannad Fansub
Clannad DVD
Clannad BD

Open them all in separate tabs and just scroll through them. If you don't see the difference, well, it's not the end of the world and you'll be saving money on blu-rays, so lucky you in that sense.

If I had $500 and I was assured we weren't ever going to get the BD, I'd buy it too.

-I take no credit for those pictures. I found those on another site, but it's a fansub site I can't link to it.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I guess since you spent that much, you're going to answer in the affirmative but was it really worth it? $500 for just one anime series, even Clannad, seems a little much. (Especially when you look at how much you could have gotten otherwise with that cash.)

I don't think I would either, but I think that Clannad set was like a first press limited edition if I remember correctly.

The most I would be as of now spending on a Blu-ray as of this moment would be give or take $80 dollars on the Nanoha Movie blu-ray I pre-ordered back in September.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chii85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Hope the Anime Network starts streaming it dubbed soon! (Like later in the week).
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Considering the fact Clannad doesn't have multiple seasons, a sequel or two that has multiple seasons or yet dubbed at this point (yes, I know it will dubbed and released next year) spending that much for that particular series seems like a massive amount to me. But then again, if you really like that series, that is entirely your choice.

Now maybe if Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z were to be available on Blu Ray, completely remastered, uncut, unedited and had multiple versions of the theme songs (Harmony Gold theme song, Funimation etc.) and had several extras including commentary from several cast members and also had a nice amount of extra's there is a small chance I would spend $500 alone a dvd.

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z both ran for several years, in fact much more than that. Both series had multiple seasons and also continued to have more series, Dragon Ball GT. Dragon Ball Z was was also remade and is called Dragon Ball Z Kai which is available in both normal and Blu ray. But let's not forget all the intensive, non stop action arc's Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z had as well.

I am not saying I don't understand, but I am saying that for to spend that type of cash for just one series would take some serious thinking. I first hand know how much Amazon charges for shipping in the US site, so for 500 dollars, I can only imagine the shipping would either be free or somewhere in the middle of not paying too much, but still paying a sizable amount.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
I guess since you spent that much, you're going to answer in the affirmative but was it really worth it?

I'd prefer to buy anime that's produced in HD on HD media. The Clannad BD set has the 1st-gen ADV subtitles, so I've got a translation (even if has the same errors as ADV's first sub-only release). As a bonus, we get two flavors of 5.1 audio (PCM & DTS-HDMA; not that 5.1 is hugely necessary with a non-action show ^_^; ) and Clannad's 24 episodes are spread over five BD50 discs, whereas with ADV, they're crammed on a mere four DVDs! ;p It's weird thinking that each BD episode might contain more data than six of ADV's bilingual episodes. ^^; Was either audio track on the US release in 5.1? I know that a lot of US dubs have gone for surround, even when the Japanese was still in only stereo.

Quote:
$500 for just one anime series, even Clannad, seems a little much.

It's not too much. What would have been too much for me is buying both the LE DVDs as they were coming out (perhaps ~¥6000(?) x 8 discs), and then buying the BD set. While the packaging was beautiful, the DVDs didn't have a translation.

Quote:
(Especially when you look at how much you could have gotten otherwise with that cash.)

You could almost buy two copies of the Japanese BD box that's just about to come out for the 28 episodes of Haruhi TV '06 & '09. The Haruhi BDs will also have both audio and subtitles in English. I've got one of those on order.

Quote:

If you don't feel that BD quality is sufficiently better than DVD, then don't worry about it, and buy a lot more anime. Support legal anime releases (domestic or foreign)! ^_^
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:27 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
The most I would be as of now spending on a Blu-ray as of this moment would be give or take $80 dollars on the Nanoha Movie blu-ray I pre-ordered back in September.

I've got the Nanoha movie on order, too (but I only got around to ordering it at the beginning of October, along with several other BDs [including Laputa]). As interested in Nanoha as I am, though, I probably wouldn't have ordered it if it weren't coming with English subtitles. I'm looking forward to being able to see Nanoha in about a couple of weeks.

For me, not every Japanese BD that I order has to have a translation, but it helps tip me over the edge for some of the titles that might be borderline yes/no.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I am not saying I don't understand, but I am saying that for to spend that type of cash for just one series would take some serious thinking.

It definitely does require some consideration. It's a little hard to go for when spending that in one lump. Some of the series can get up in that vicinity (Railgun was 8 BDs + OVA, K-On!! is on 9 BDs, Macross Frontier is on 9 BDs + Movie(s)), but that's in smaller bites.

Quote:
I first hand know how much Amazon charges for shipping in the US site, so for 500 dollars, I can only imagine the shipping would either be free or somewhere in the middle of not paying too much, but still paying a sizable amount.

The Clannad set was ¥44104 (with somewhere between a 20-28% discount and no tax), and shipping was ¥2000 (a minimum charge for one item, IIRC). It was also the only item in that order. I've got a current order that has 10 BDs, and the shipping is ¥4700. It's nicer when shipping breaks down to only ¥700-ish per disc (even when they're shipped individually). Amazon's International FedEx shipping has a big first step, but it's not too bad after that.
Chii85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Will the bilingual version of After Story be complete?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6