• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do NOT ask for Downloads! [Or Illegal Streaming Video Links]

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nor do you cease to amaze us with your brazen and ignorant statements.

By that, I assume, you mean my refusal to believe that each and every member of the forum is fluent in Japanese, can afford to regularly import DVDs and\or has satellite? Mmmm... yea, I guess I'm just that kind of evil ignorant bastard Anime smile

Quote:
Simply discussing things that are illegal to possess is COMPLETELY SEPERATE from actually possessing them.

Death Note 14 airs. No discussion. Death Note 14 comes out subbed - DISCUSSION. Nah, forget it, how can you trust an ignorant bastard like? Wink

Quote:
It's not immoral

Oh, by the way, THAT was also discussed in one of the fansub threads back in 2005. There was that... uhm... opinion, that watching satellite TV deprives US companies of potential DVD sales and their own TV ratings. Some people see that as immoral here.

Quote:
Also, as far as I remember, possessing fansubs in Russia is just as legal as it is here in the US, which is: not legal according to the Berne Convention. So you're also wrong that it's perfectly legal to possess them there.

Letter of the law or spirit of the law? Believe me, I know what I'm talking about here - it is legal, due to loopholes and the fact that if you ever try to persecute someone for possession of fansubs or ripped movies\music, you will only be laughed at.

Quote:
I'm just saying that it's ok to discuss it because discussion doesn't prove you've done anything illegal to watch, only that you have watched it.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, but let's just for once tone the hypocrisy down a little, eh? Can we reasonably assume that nobody here watches fansubs (except me, who openly admits it)? No, we can't. That doesn't mean that particular users are breaking the law, no, I'm not pointing any fingers. But I'm talking about the ethical part. People watch fansubs, discuss them and then denounce the same fansubs on this forum as illegal, immoral and "stupid and immature". If that's not hypocrisy, then I don't know what is. Oh, wait! I know what *somebody* is going to say - hypocrisy is watching fansubs while knowing that it's technically illegal. Yay?

Quote:
to be able to say "you all downloaded it because you're discussing it" would be a blanket statement and can be proven false if just one of those people didn't download

Point me to where I said everyone here downloads subs - I'll edit it out.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't make a bit of difference guys, the stance is inert!
darth_blade wrote:
People watch fansubs, discuss them and then denounce the same fansubs on this forum as illegal, immoral and "stupid and immature".
Which "people" are you talking about? Can you provide usernames? Quotes? My memory isn't perfect, but I don't remember seeing posts from the staunch anti-fansubbing people of this forum in the major threads about unlicensed anime. Actually, never mind; I'd rather not turn this into a witchhunt, because we're here to discuss anime and have fun. As long as users aren't being stupid and bragging about how they built a 3 TB array to store all the anime they didn't want to buy, there shouldn't be any talk of going to jail or burning in hell.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yes, I don't recall too many people denouncing fansubs as immoral, stupid or immature outright. Many people, the bulk of this forum I'd wager, use fansubs for what are arguably moral or valid purpose. Most of the disgust directed towards those who use fansubs are generally directed towards those who would use them as a means to bypass actually paying for the titles and denying the creators of anime their due.

The rule is simply to reflect the fact that ANN does not wish to support the use of fansubs as an alternative to purchasing anime legally and supporting the industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Yes, I don't recall too many people denouncing fansubs as immoral, stupid or immature outright. Many people, the bulk of this forum I'd wager, use fansubs for what are arguably moral or valid purpose. Most of the disgust directed towards those who use fansubs are generally directed towards those who would use them as a means to bypass actually paying for the titles and denying the creators of anime their due.

The rule is simply to reflect the fact that ANN does not wish to support the use of fansubs as an alternative to purchasing anime legally and supporting the industry.

9 times out of ten, if I aquire a fansub, unlicensed or otherwise, I'll buy it when I see it.
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which "people" are you talking about? Can you provide usernames? Quotes?

1) That was in summer '05
2) I rarely remember the (user)names of people I'm not interested in.

Quote:

Quote:
9 times out of ten, if I aquire a fansub, unlicensed or otherwise, I'll buy it when I see it.

And if this show only comes out in, say, portuguese, will you buy that release? That's what I was told to do when I pointed out that for me fansubs were the only way to watch anime.
8daze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
This sounds a bit like a fallacy of composition to me. "Some people on the forum said this to me, so the whole forum must believe it."
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Darth_Blade wrote:
And if this show only comes out in, say, portuguese, will you buy that release? That's what I was told to do when I pointed out that for me fansubs were the only way to watch anime.

Sorry, I already stated my case. Your little squabble with the mods have nothing to do with me.
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
I have a question.

Q: What if there is an anime that is old and there are no VHS or DVD of but only TV rips? is that illegal?

A:

Q2: What if there is an anime that you can only find via TV rips and can't buy anymore? and is out of print and can't find used on auction sites throughout the entire world whatsoever? is this also illegal?

A:

note: When I search for stuff I want and can't find it...I mean I can't find it. I'm good searching sites in different languages too.

note 2: most of the time when I buy my imports I usually buy them in sets via yahoo japan to save major money. I go through a company who has a Japanese supplier who does the bidding, etc.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
If you really can't find whatever title it is you're looking for, then download all you want. We can't control what you do outside these forums. This thread is simply a notice to everyone that you can not ask for download links or streaming video sites on this site, period.

Technically, downloading anything without the original owner's consent is copyright infringement and yes, illegal. So that answers both of your questions. Depending on whatever it is you download, the respective governments may or may not care. But usually, they don't, because then they'd have to hunt everyone else down, which is very consuming, both, money and time wise.
ray1613

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Edo wrote:

Because, as I have mentioned before, downloading is NOT currently illegal in most of the world! Please, I don't agree with it, but I can't stand when people go on about how it is illegal, when by law, it's not. However, it certainly is immoral.

Actually, in ANY country that has signed the Berne Convention or any of numerous other copyright treaties, or is a member of the WTO, it is most certainly illegal to download any works coming out of any other countries that have also signed, Japan and the US being two of them. Here is a list of those that have signed the Berne Convention. Keep in mind that's only one of the various treaties dealing with international copyrights.

the link doesnt work Exclamation Evil or Very Mad
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ray1613 wrote:
the link doesnt work Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

It's not too hard to look it up on wiki is it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SupaWeena

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
where are legal places to downlaod anime for itunes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
SupaWeena wrote:
where are legal places to downlaod anime for itunes?

... weren't we just saying that you cant do that? oooo legal places. The answer is no. Also iTunes is not the best way to watch vids.

Here is a way to solve the bulk of the dl problems. The companies that make the anime release it subed the same time it airs. They just make you watch some comericals and then you see the whole thing, just like it was on tv. In the US espn did that for march madness once, they got a huge number of people to watch the games on the internet. If this happened most people would watch the animes and the comericals. If you really like the series then sit for 5 min and let them get more money.

ahh this probably wasn't the place to put this but I am annoyed and had to let it out.
amax88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
is it animenewsnetwork also can watch anime movie..???
where can find that can really can watch>>?
please tell me..
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
amax88 wrote:
is it animenewsnetwork also can watch anime movie..???
where can find that can really can watch>>?
please tell me..
No, you cannot watch or download any anime from this site. And if you had bothered to read the first post or the title of this thread, you'd know that it's not allowed to ask about illegal download/streaming sites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13