• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maoyū (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
So far so good with this one. I'm more interested in the jumping-right-into-it premise than I am the bouncy boobs lol.

I like the depth in the story-telling so far though. It takes one helluva writer to explain that kind of premise without confusing the hell out of people. I think the writers did a bang-up job on that front. Though I'm getting the impression it's going to be a lot like Spice & Wolf

The only niggles I have is the rather immediate spoiler[ lovefest going on and the reference to virginity being a virtue as a sexual selling point (i.e. it makes her more appealing to the Japanese men because of the purity standpoint...that annoys me.)]

Other than that I'm happy enough.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
The only niggles I have is the rather immediate spoiler[ lovefest going on and the reference to virginity being a virtue as a sexual selling point (i.e. it makes her more appealing to the Japanese men because of the purity standpoint...that annoys me.)]

I do not know what the word used in Japanese means, but in English, chastity has a broader meaning than virginity. It can refer to someone who currently practices abstinence, or it can mean someone who does not practice unacceptable sex. In either case, chastity is recoverable--widows and widowers can take vows of chastity, for example. Given that the Demon King then proceeds to describe how the contract would bind her, it seems that chastity refers to her faithfulness, i.e. will not seek extramarital sex, rather than her virginity.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
This is similar to Spice and Wolf.

How so? I'm not getting the Spice and Wolf comparisons at all, except that both series have started out with a little bit of socio-economic mumbo jumbo as part of the plot, and even in that they are not that much alike. Maybe it's because I don't have any knowledge of the show beyond just this first episode, while it seems that many of you are familiar with the source manga.

It will be interesting to see where the show goes. I don't think there's anything wrong with fanservice itself, but I worry that this show isn't going to be able to figure out what it wants to be. It seems like it wants to be part a fanservice show with the excessive focus on the demon king's boobs, it wants to be a drama with the pseudo serious exploration of war economics and motivations, and it wants to be comedy too. I suppose it's not impossible to pull off an entertaining mix of such different elements, but it's going to be a remarkable show if it does succeed.

I can't help but think of another show I wanted to like but which ultimately couldn't decide if it wanted to be a drama/action series or a fanservice vehicle: Najica Blitz Tactics. That series could have been a pretty good action show with a bit of drama thrown in, but somewhere along the line they decided it would be a good idea to get in as many panty shots as they could possibly cram in to the show and in the end the two competing elements simply didn't blend well together.

I'm kind of a sucker for anime in a fantasy setting, though, and I would not judge a whole series on the basis of the first episode so I'll definitely be sticking with this one for a few weeks at least.

None of the other new shows I've looked at so far have interested me, although I'm really looking forward to the second season of Chihayafuru, so I guess I'll be following at least 2 series in this new crop.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

How so? I'm not getting the Spice and Wolf comparisons at all, except that both series have started out with a little bit of socio-economic mumbo jumbo as part of the plot, and even in that they are not that much alike. Maybe it's because I don't have any knowledge of the show beyond just this first episode, while it seems that many of you are familiar with the source manga.

I guess you recognise who are voiceing the main duo. And a series with human guy with a nonhuman female who wants to travel, in medieval setting with an economic focus is bound to get comparison to Spice and Wolf.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
I actually jumped to C first. Girl with horns and economics.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

how do you not see it? It has the same type of setting. Both are about economic in a fantasy world. Both female leads are very bossy ,flirty and nonhuman.

Takeo Takahashi(Director of Spice and Wolf)
Koshimizu Ami - (Demon Queen/Horo)
Fukuyama Jun - (Hero/Lawrence)

Do you see what are they trying to do?

Unless you are one of those people who argue One Piece and Dragon Ball are not same type of manga/anime.

Edit:
Rhyono wrote:

but this main girl has no horns. accessories don't count ^^

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Rhyono wrote:

but this main girl has no horns. accessories don't count ^^

Accessories totally count and the original girl lacked a chest.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
It has the same type of setting. Both are about economic in a fantasy world. Both female leads are very bossy ,flirty and nonhuman.

Spice and Wolf isn't about economics. Or is that what you got out of it? If so, then I guess I see what you mean. The other stuff is pretty superficial, but yes the two series do have them in common I suppose.

Quote:
Takeo Takahashi(Director of Spice and Wolf)
Koshimizu Ami - (Demon Queen/Horo)
Fukuyama Jun - (Hero/Lawrence)

I don't really pay that much attention to this kind of stuff, so yeah, that all went over my head. I see how this could be influencing your opinion, but it's shows you have a pretty low opinion of their talents if you think they can only make one type of show. Or is that what you meant?

Quote:
Do you see what are they trying to do?

Uh, I guess not. Trying to make an entertaining anime? OK, I can see that. Trying to bring together a team that worked well together before? Yeah, I guess so. Trying to make a Spice and Wolf clone? No, I'm not getting that vibe yet. Maybe once I see more, but not yet. Besides, if making another Spice and Wolf was their goal they could have just done that. There's plenty more source material to adapt.

Quote:
Unless you are one of those people who argue One Piece and Dragon Ball are not same type of manga/anime.

I haven't seen either one, so I guess I'm not one of "those" people. Wink
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Interesting first ep. Hoping for some action instead of all talking.
Regarding the economics, sounds like bs to me at least if applied in our world. The amount of money and resources spent in wars is more than enough to feed the world multiple times over. If anything the benefit of war is technological advancement which is completely ignored here.

You do realize that you can't actually eat money, right? While there are certainly resources that go into war that could have instead gone into supporting a food distribution infrastructure (for example, fuel for transportation), it's not like the soldiers at war don't eat roughly the same amount of food they'd normally eat at home. When your limitation is the availability of fertile farmland, no amount of money is going to feed everyone.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
I was extremely satisfied with this first episode. At first, I felt that its straightforwardness was a tad awkward, but then I came to realise that it was just so funny!

It also touched on a few of the very subjects that I had hoped it would, much to my utter delight.

I think I have found my first love this season. :3
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
casualfan wrote:
Regarding the economics, sounds like bs to me at least if applied in our world. The amount of money and resources spent in wars is more than enough to feed the world multiple times over. If anything the benefit of war is technological advancement which is completely ignored here.

You do realize that you can't actually eat money, right? While there are certainly resources that go into war that could have instead gone into supporting a food distribution infrastructure (for example, fuel for transportation), it's not like the soldiers at war don't eat roughly the same amount of food they'd normally eat at home. When your limitation is the availability of fertile farmland, no amount of money is going to feed everyone.

Maou explained that because of the war, more funds and resources went to medical research and advancements, I think it's best to assume the same of agriculture. That, and it's made clear that the well-guarded "greater nations" had an abundance of crops, but no incentive to share them.

I also think that it's a show with a neat (albeit rather silly) concept that shouldn't be thought too hard about. I'll just boil it down to taking the concept of "uniting against a common enemy" to its logical extreme, and see what interesting themes they can get out of it. On a whole, I like what I've seen so far, and I find it really interesting that I have yet to hear an overall negative opinion of the show, especially considering the fanservice and talky first episode. That's always a good sign.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading the manga and watching this show, I'm loving both so far.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
MadShadow42 wrote:
Clarste wrote:
casualfan wrote:

Maou explained that because of the war, more funds and resources went to medical research and advancements, I think it's best to assume the same of agriculture. That, and it's made clear that the well-guarded "greater nations" had an abundance of crops, but no incentive to share them.

She specifically said that "your world's agricultural output hasn't increased by any significant measure." Also, she didn't mention any kind of advancement as a benefit of the war. From what she's said, it's just a matter of the allocation of goods to those who need them more.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
well the first episode certainly caught my attention, so will definitely be following this. I'm honestly surprised ARMS held back on the fan service. I appreciate that a lot and i hope they don't over do it for the rest of the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
well the first episode certainly caught my attention, so will definitely be following this. I'm honestly surprised ARMS held back on the fan service. I appreciate that a lot and i hope they don't over do it for the rest of the show.

There Will Be Cleavage, although I doubt any actual toplessness will be shown, so no one can get seriously offended over a nipple.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18