• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Helps U.N.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Harmeny Gold renewed the license a few years back so it would last tell 2010. Keep in Mind this was like for or five years ago so it may have changed.
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
The way ANN edited this piece makes it seem it's something it's not. The full newspiece states that Harmony Gold approached the UN with the idea for the PSA, as a way for HG to publicize The Shadow Chronicles, a feature currently in production. If you click on the link for the story under Recent Press Releases, you'll get the whole story.

Thus, this is just a mildly sleazy way for HG to get a little publicity. That seems entirely in character. [/rant]
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
Harmeny Gold renewed the license a few years back so it would last tell 2010. Keep in Mind this was like for or five years ago so it may have changed.

2010? I can't wait that long for Macross Zero!

Well, Macross: The Origin anyone? That might give us something to look forward to.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
It's not about Harmony Gold, but about Tatsunoko and Big West. Until they resolve their petty grievances, Macross fans are effed. Although, hopefully by then, Macross 7 will be cheaper to license than it is now. Anyway, at least Mark Hammill is getting a part in the new Robotech. So maybe we can see him do more anime dubs besides the stuff from Ghibli.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote
Mark Hamill is an insanly talented voice actor-he's about ten times better at voicing than he ever was at regular acting. Anything with him in it has my attention.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:47 am Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:

Does anyone know when Harmony Gold will lose the rights to the Macross/Robotech franchise? I mean, it's been nearly 20 years, and they can't hold onto them forever, can they? Just curious if anyone knows an approximate date.

The day 4Kids goes Bankrupt. Laughing
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Or the day Necoarc comes to America.

Anyway, Mark Hamill, the VA=awesomeness. He's arguably the person most recognized as the Joker other than Ceasar Romero.
whalesuitgod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The way ANN edited this piece makes it seem it's something it's not. The full newspiece states that Harmony Gold approached the UN with the idea for the PSA, as a way for HG to publicize The Shadow Chronicles, a feature currently in production. If you click on the link for the story under Recent Press Releases, you'll get the whole story.

Aaaahhh, that makes so much more sense now. I couldn't figure out why the hell the UN would commission a Robotech spot. Thanks for reading the full release....ahem.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:55 am Reply with quote
I bet the production of this "PSA" will be as half-assed as Robotech II: The Sentinels, the company's failed attempt at a sequel series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
I bet the production of this "PSA" will be as half-assed as Robotech II: The Sentinels, the company's failed attempt at a sequel series.

I bet you're right. And, just think, it'll be followed by an all-new half-assed feature! Twisted Evil
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
tropical_kit wrote:
I bet you're right. And, just think, it'll be followed by an all-new half-assed feature! Twisted Evil

Based on observations over the past decade or two, nearly everything associated with Harmony Gold has been half-assed:

1987 - Production of Robotech II: The Sentinels halted due to various reasons. Harmony Gold released it on home video, anyway. The animation is so painful to watch, that it makes a root canal feel like a foot massage. Nothing remotely bad on Cartoon Network can compare to this stinking tripe.

1997 - Robotech: Crystal Dreams for the Nintendo 64 declared vaporware after developer GameTek goes belly-up.

2000 - Robotech 3000 teaser released at the San Diego Comic Con; crowd booed the hell out of it mainly because it didn't remotely look like Robotech.

2002 - The first Robotech Masterpiece Collection toy by Toynami released after months of delays. Thousands of eager fans who paid $80 got theirs only to find out that it's missing the diecast content that Toynami promised, not to mention that the build quality is below that of the average McDonald's Happy Meal toy. Because of the sheer disappointment of the first installment, all other MPC Veritechs flop in sales to the point where GameStop and other stores sold them at prices as low as $20.

At around the same time, Toynami released a special Macross edition Super-Poseable Veritech set. Fans who ordered theirs discovered that the gun pods were missing in all of the packages.

2004 - Robotech MPC Alpha Fighter released. Has more factory defects than a Daewoo.

Meanwhile, HG and ADV Films released the Robotech remastered DVD collection. I haven't seen it myself, but I've read a lot of negative feedback on the overall quality.

The only good thing I've seen from the Robotech franchise is the videogame Robotech: Battlecry. But then again, it doesn't compare to the recent Macross game on the PS2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
hikura

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much areaseven.I was doing a research on this point and almost had mine done.This is why i said the day harmony gold loses its rights is the day macross fans will rejoice.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:37 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Thank you very much areaseven. I was doing a research on this point and almost had mine done.

Interesting. What were you able to dig up?
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
hikura wrote:
Thank you very much areaseven. I was doing a research on this point and almost had mine done.

Interesting. What were you able to dig up?

Same things you had said already.That was my research point.To prove why i dislike harmony gold.Plus they stopped the release of the vf-19 and vf-21 toys when the macross plus ovas came out and the toys were going to get released here in america.While i am a huge fan of macross and will do just about anything to get my hands on said toys it is very hard for me to get hands on import material due to the facts of shipping cost and the acutal cost they are in japan.As alot of fans know shipping costs are expensive.I am not saying harmony gold is horrible company and they released robotech but i credit carl macek more the creation of robotech then i do harmony gold.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Same things you had said already.That was my research point.To prove why i dislike harmony gold.Plus they stopped the release of the vf-19 and vf-21 toys when the macross plus ovas came out and the toys were going to get released here in america.While i am a huge fan of macross and will do just about anything to get my hands on said toys it is very hard for me to get hands on import material due to the facts of shipping cost and the acutal cost they are in japan.As alot of fans know shipping costs are expensive.I am not saying harmony gold is horrible company and they released robotech but i credit carl macek more the creation of robotech then i do harmony gold.

Yeah, HG attacked Yamato Toys because Macross stuff was getting more popular in the U.S. than Robotech stuff. What pisses me off is that HG is claiming they own everything that says Macross, despite the fact that they own squat when it comes to the sequels, prequels or spinoffs (i.e. DYRL, Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross Zero, etc.).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4