• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Helps U.N.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king_micah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:14 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
tropical_kit wrote:
I bet you're right. And, just think, it'll be followed by an all-new half-assed feature! Twisted Evil

Based on observations over the past decade or two, nearly everything associated with Harmony Gold has been half-assed:

1987 - Production of Robotech II: The Sentinels halted due to various reasons. Harmony Gold released it on home video, anyway. The animation is so painful to watch, that it makes a root canal feel like a foot massage. Nothing remotely bad on Cartoon Network can compare to this stinking tripe.

1997 - Robotech: Crystal Dreams for the Nintendo 64 declared vaporware after developer GameTek goes belly-up.

2000 - Robotech 3000 teaser released at the San Diego Comic Con; crowd booed the hell out of it mainly because it didn't remotely look like Robotech.

2002 - The first Robotech Masterpiece Collection toy by Toynami released after months of delays. Thousands of eager fans who paid $80 got theirs only to find out that it's missing the diecast content that Toynami promised, not to mention that the build quality is below that of the average McDonald's Happy Meal toy. Because of the sheer disappointment of the first installment, all other MPC Veritechs flop in sales to the point where GameStop and other stores sold them at prices as low as $20.

At around the same time, Toynami released a special Macross edition Super-Poseable Veritech set. Fans who ordered theirs discovered that the gun pods were missing in all of the packages.

2004 - Robotech MPC Alpha Fighter released. Has more factory defects than a Daewoo.

Meanwhile, HG and ADV Films released the Robotech remastered DVD collection. I haven't seen it myself, but I've read a lot of negative feedback on the overall quality.

The only good thing I've seen from the Robotech franchise is the videogame Robotech: Battlecry. But then again, it doesn't compare to the recent Macross game on the PS2.

NOPE!
Just got back from Sakuracon.
1st. Tatsunoko and Big West is what's holding up further Macross developments. It appears HG bet on Tatsunoko, and wants badly further Macross rights(they seem to really, really want Macross Zero). However this is skipping ahead.
There was an hour long session at Sakuracon where HG had folks. They started with the Late Night with Connan O'Brien segment where rage is expressed at not being able to find anything, and how HG seemly went out of business. Tommy Yune gave the abridged history of HG's entertainment business. Essentially HG is a large, diverse company with vast involvement in real estate and other markets. In 85 they got themselves Robotech, and an entertainment division. Robotech did well, there were plans for more, but negations were tough, as Tatsunoko and Big West had there lawsuits go full bore. They used some Koreans, and had bad results. They weren't happy and were planning the next step when Mr. Saban, who they bought music from, offered most of the creative staffs jobs. Thus they went off and worked at Power Rangers, leaving only bean counters at HG.
Robotech: 3000 was the result of a 3-D graphics firm wanting to buy the rights to Robotech from HG. HG did nothing in it's creation. Tommy said that HG felt it wasn't right, and that fans hated it so much, they let that project die.
Over 15 years, Robotech did well in video sales, as did the RPG and comics/novels. In mid 90's they give out the license to Crystal Dreams for an N64 launch title. Gametek did go down, and ended up taking so long flaming out that when the rights and work done so far was picked up, it became Battlecry for the gamecube generation. The money from new box sets and dvds funded the revival of the entertainment group at HG. Tommy worked for them in 85, and came back with the new old group of staff. They were able to reforge links with the old VA's for Battlecry, and have kept them.
The big thing is new folks seem to be at the top in HG, one of them a Robotech fanboy, rather than the bean counters from the real estate side.
Thus Shadow Chronicles has been born. It's a feature length movie. Tatsunoko and DR Movie are the animators. It will be finished in July. Voice recording is done. They showed several clips, mostly unfinished work, stressing this is not vapor. The plan is to pick up the unfinished story from the last episode. If successful, this will be the pilot for a new series. The best clip shown was the PSA. The PSA does not suck. Think Macross Zero. The old VA are together, with a few new ones, including Mark Hamill and Chase Masterson.
Oh, and I won a prize for answering/asking a question. Nice little Shadow fighter.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:32 am Reply with quote
Wow. That sounds totally awesome. And thanks for the info, I think we really needed it around here.

Also, what exactly is wrong with the Robotech remastered DVD collection? I've been thinking about picking them up, since my memories are getting fuzzy.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:04 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
The best clip shown was the PSA. The PSA does not suck. Think Macross Zero. The old VA are together, with a few new ones, including Mark Hamill and Chase Masterson.

Okay, be more specific when you say, "think Macross Zero." What actually goes on in the PSA? Which characters and mecha are in the PSA?

And if production of Shadow Chronicles will be finished in July, when will it be released on DVD?

BTW, that Robotech fanboy employee you're talking about, he's a jackass. I should know, because he threw a racial slur at me a couple of years ago on the Macross World forums.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Also, what exactly is wrong with the Robotech remastered DVD collection? I've been thinking about picking them up, since my memories are getting fuzzy.

I don't know the full details, as I completely ignored any talk about them. However, I will rent the first DVD to find out if there's anything wrong. So far, AnimeOnDVD.com has given the remastered collection fairly high ratings, despite the fact that there are hardly any extras on each volume.

And personally, I could care less about Macross vs. Robotech. I'll just stick with Macross Plus, and that's all I have to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
king_micah wrote:
The best clip shown was the PSA. The PSA does not suck. Think Macross Zero. The old VA are together, with a few new ones, including Mark Hamill and Chase Masterson.

Okay, be more specific when you say, "think Macross Zero." What actually goes on in the PSA? Which characters and mecha are in the PSA?

And if production of Shadow Chronicles will be finished in July, when will it be released on DVD?

The PSA has just Scott Bernard and Ariel in it, along with what are I think 'Alphas' at the end. Basically she folds in, he tells her it's not safe on Earth for her until humans can learn to trust her. They talk for a few seconds on the potential and dangers of humanity, and the good we can do, with specific examples leading to cuts to a WHO camp, peacekeepers, and disaster relief. The reason I said think Macross Zero is that the quality is the same level. Of course the PSA was put out quick, and has many tricks used with establishing shots and focusing on the eyes to reduce the actual work done, but it was still freaking beautiful.
July is when they said Tatsunoko and DR Movie should be done with production. They didn't say when it would be released, just it would be done then.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Of course the PSA was put out quick, and has many tricks used with establishing shots and focusing on the eyes to reduce the actual work done, but it was still freaking beautiful.

So when will this PSA hit TV?
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Dunno, but soon I get the feeling. At least soon it should be available for downloading. I think the PSA gives real credence to a new and real bit happening. Time will tell whether or not the story will be crap.
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:45 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Wow. That sounds totally awesome. And thanks for the info, I think we really needed it around here.

Spike, I have the remastered Macross portion of Robotech, and had no problems with the quality of the disks. I could be lucky, but I doubt it as I would have hit powerball by now.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
The reason I said think Macross Zero is that the quality is the same level. Of course the PSA was put out quick, and has many tricks used with establishing shots and focusing on the eyes to reduce the actual work done, but it was still freaking beautiful.

That was the most misleading quote I've read this year. The PSA looks absolutely nothing like Macross Zero. If anything, the animation quality is a cross between BASToF Syndrome and the Korean animated film Armageddon.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:24 am Reply with quote
Sheesh, calm down, dude. Regardless, it's still pretty cool for a PSA.

For those who haven't heard, the PSA is now available for download here.

And I guess I'm sold on those Robotech Remastered DVDs. Thanks for informing me, Joe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4