• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Yet More Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who's had an encounter with a dolphin warship knows not to mess with them (Or electricians for that matter. They have a defense pact).

While the original Donkey Kong Country could almost be finished in one's sleep, Donkey Kong Country 2 was an almost perfectly balanced game with just enough challenge and evolution of challenge throughout the game, better and more varied levels, more incentives (Like extra levels) to find the secrets, even more polished graphics, better tunes, and was really really fun. It's a shame people don't give credit to such a fantastic game because it wasn't first, it didn't have Donkey Kong until the end, or people are trying to discredit DKC as a series. Now, Donkey Kong Country 3......... Wow, it's like they took tips from Streets of Rage 3 on how to completely mess up a sequel (I still want to know what Yuzo Koshiro was smoking when he came up with the music for SoR 3).

Ah, the shower scene in Parasite Eve 2. The only time I've seen someone rip off the scene from Psycho with a three-story monster wielding a flamethrower in its mouth. I always think the first game is better than it is, probably because I love the battle system and music so much, and forgot how clunky the rest of the game is. The second one wasn't bad once I dealt with the sad fact that it wasn't going to be Parasite Eve with improvements to the interface, but a Resident Evil clone (Which I liked better than RE. Until 4, RE never really did it for me). I'm not going to hold out much hope for Square Enix because right now, they seem to not really care what's working or not working on their games and just keep trying to make it prettier and prettier to cover up their messes. I know they had the same problems during the PS 2 era, but it's reaching logical extremes these days.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
Wow. I liked that fan contest entry for MML3, even if she had kinda big eyes (which I'm not saying it a problem), but the "official" artist somehow managed to make the eyes appear some 30% larger. That's an impressive feat, I must say. But an interesting design all around.

And I gotta say, I'm not really excited about anything right now. I'm waiting for ME2 in January and DA2 in March, and Ys 1&2 Chronicles in February. Currently I'm grinding through White Knight Chronicles, which I never gave a fair chance when it first came out, but I'm really enjoying it now.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
The 3rd Birthday seems to be, for lack of a better term, CREATIVELY BANKRUPT. Hate to say, but that game has nothing to do with Parasite Eve and that woman might as well not be Aya. They've thrown out EVERYTHING the series had to offer and instead objectify Aya, sell her dignity, and show that the writer (Toriyama of FFXIII's TERRIBLE plot) and the rest of the dev team have no clue what the previous games were about. Plus from what I've heard gameplay is nothing more than a Dirge of Cerberus-esque TPS (ie. a MEDIOCRE one) that is repetitive with bland level design. Oh Aya, you deserve way better than those clowns at Square.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
As it has been several years since I last played a Donkey Kong Country game, I look forward to the new Wii version. The graphics obviously has improved immensely, but Donkey Kong and Diddy still have the same appearance as they did in the 90's.

It's modernized, so I bet saving is significantly easier than it was during the first, second and third game. Based off the preview I watched, either the musical score is brand new, remixed or maybe have some music left over from the previous games. I am not sure whatever happened to Rare, but I honestly didn't think there would be another Donkey Kong Country game for a long time or ever because of the amount of time that has passed.

I also haven't heard any news of a new Mega Man Legends since the last one that was released for the Playstation several years ago, maybe even more than that. It's interesting that a new character has been added, I just remember Mega man being the main character that was playable. But it's great that Capcom is still making new Mega Man games, it's still an interesting series even after several decades.

I actually enjoyed Phantom Brave, I have played the Playstation 2 version and the Wii version. The Wii version fixed problems that the Playstation 2 game had and most of those problems were fixed weren't really noticeable until I read what the fixes/updates were. The Wii version didn't come with a CD that had the game music, but the fixes on the game make up for that. I wonder if the PSP port will have anymore fixes that the Wii didn't have.

Great article Todd, the image of the Dolphin looked cool.
yellow ledbetter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Maijin seems like its going to be a good game but they are making the mistake of releasing it while the fallout from the annual call of duty bomb is still too deadly to deal with. Sadly, this game will likely fade into obscurity like so many titles that aren't a sequel that release this time of year.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Majin: The article in Game Informer mentioned the voices for both heroes too. Are they really that terrible? It also mentioned the gameplay getting stale due to the "enemies regenerate once you leave a room and come back" principle; it also does a poor job of pointing you in the right direction and has some backtracking to do. Perhaps if I watch someone play the game, I can have a better idea.

I actually thought the voices were good, in an over-the-top Saturday-morning-cartoon sort of way. Despite obviously drawing a lot of inspiration from ICO/etc., the game is kind of the opposite in some respects. Definitely not to be taken seriously, but seems like a lot of fun.
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
People can say all they want about Donkey Kong Country, but Donkey Kong Country 2 was majestic. Brilliantly up there with Yoshi's Island. The difficulty, the secrets, and the actual platforming was fun. In fact, I felt a little disappointed when I played Donkey Kong Country 1 afterward, since 2 was actually my first DKC game.

2>>>3>1

Knowing Retro Studios and their handywork with the Metroid franchise, it's safe to say this newest installment will do it justice (some of the videos also [strike]reveal[/strike]spoil some creative level design).
Uthred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
3rd Birthday: Maid costume? Oh come on, seriously? Aya doesn't even get Japanese culture. Won't this come across as incredibly stupid to her?

That seems like an odd objection. Extra costumes are a bonus for the player not the character.
RJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
This Sengoku Basara is a chore to play unlike Heroes 2 which I've been playing for over 3 years and still enjoy. Did CAPCOM actually test out 2 player mode before releasing the game?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2