• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reports US$9.8 Million Net Loss in 3Q 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Reinhard Von Lohengram wrote:
Just skimming through the comments, I never realized that 4Kids was something the newer fans dislike so vehemently. I guess it's what the older fans felt towards Carl Macek/ Harmony Gold and all of that business.
I also find it funny decrying the editing of shows that weren't ever really great in the first place. Being mad about Macek mangling Robotech is one thing. But something relatively new, like Pokemon, or Yugioh, that was always more about selling a product than telling a story? Doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. But, then again, being 27 and having lost interest in most anime for several years, I'm just an old fogey.
I just find it interesting, the same reactions to two similar, yet somewhat dissimilar, situations.

You mean Harmony Gold/Streamline.

Also, I'm 27, and even I know that most of 4kids library is fraught with mediocrity but that doesn't excuse poor translating and bad editing or the fact that they give NYAV Post pathetic and supbar material to work with. 4Kids brought all of this hate themselves and forever ruined SEGA's chances with success with the Sonic X franchise.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Nineofclubs wrote:
I hope somebody buys them up and improves them, I'd hate to see all those people lose jobs. Especially now where it seems to be hard to find other ones.

Me too. I would love Funimation or somebody redub Sonic X and restore all of its missing footage and diolouge.

So maybe it would be a good thing if 4Kids was sold off.

I agree, its not like the people working there are bad, just bad management decisions. If Funi or someone else bought them up i'd be glad.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Just skimming through the comments, I never realized that 4Kids was something the newer fans dislike so vehemently. I guess it's what the older fans felt towards Carl Macek/ Harmony Gold and all of that business.
I also find it funny decrying the editing of shows that weren't ever really great in the first place. Being mad about Macek mangling Robotech is one thing. But something relatively new, like Pokemon, or Yugioh, that was always more about selling a product than telling a story? Doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. But, then again, being 27 and having lost interest in most anime for several years, I'm just an old fogey.
I just find it interesting, the same reactions to two similar, yet somewhat dissimilar, situations.

Also, I'm 27, and even I know that most of 4kids library is fraught with mediocrity but that doesn't excuse poor translating and bad editing or the fact that they give NYAV Post pathetic and supbar material to work with. 4Kids brought all of this hate themselves and forever ruined SEGA's chances with success with the Sonic X franchise.

What on earth are you talking about. Kids LOVE Sonic X. It's the highest rated program on their block, and currently the most watched cartoon on You Tube.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
They never should have gave up Pokemon like that.

It's my understanding that they didn't give it up, but rather Pokemon USA took it. I can't imagine 4kids just giving up Pokemon; that'd be like Funimation letting Dragonball Z go.

Sometimes I feel like the only person who harbors no ill will whatsoever towards 4kids. They edited anime. So what? I, personally, watched One Piece every week and was pissed off when it just up and vanished (I wasn't a real anime fan back then so I didn't know the circumstances). Hell, I can still sing that rap, prologue and all. I was also pissed when they lost the rights to Pokemon and Pokemon USA just up and got rid of all the great voice actors and replaced them with lesser talent (excluding Emily Blau). Way to destroy what dwindling interest I had left in the show, guys. The change in Theme Song Artist wasn't exactly my favorite thing in the world either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the froth of 4Kids hat3rzing ...

... Loss of $9.8m on revenues of $3m?

IOW, Cost of $12.8m? An net return of (-76.6%)? ??

Cutting their costs by $1m won't even staunch the bleeding, it'll just spurt not quite so high.

Rather than saying that they are losing money because they have such a cheap video player, its more likely they have such a cheap video player because they are so povo and can't afford a better one.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
Actually it is an issue. For a One Piece fan like me, even other anime fans look at me weird when I say I'm a fan of One Piece. Why? Because the only thing they know about it is that debacle that One Piece threw out there. A lot of people STILL just have that in there heads when they hear "One Piece".

First of all, they probably either have no idea who Funimation is or they never watched Cartoon Network from late October 2007 - April 2008 Saturdays at... I think 10pm or they can't tell the difference between past tense and present tense!

I have to agree with Shenl742 though that treating 4Kids like garbage is like beating a dying horse to the ground. I get what 4Kids did in the past as far as handling anime wasn't mostly ideal for anime fans, but the most frequent "go-to" argument regarding why they suck is from 5 years ago and have been resolved entirely by a different company for the past 3 years. Enough already! And I mean, come on, read their logo! They never targetted any of us in the first place unless some of us happen to be 12 years or younger. If they license a show we would not want them to license, then yeah, it sucks but too bad. I don't think we have the right to ultimately decide what company will license what anime we want licensed. I'm fine with anime fans being upset with what 4Kids license, but to whine and rant non-stop about it and make 20+ Youtube videos over how horrific their edits are like a kid making a tantrum for not getting his/her ice cream is just a waste of time to me.

Regarding the article, I'm a bit suprised they're still losing money. I wouldn't expect them to make a lot lately, but it really sucks they had to shut down two divisions involved in the Chaotic trading card game. I don't play it since I don't know anyone else who would play it, but I honestly figured the Chaotic franchise would've proved really helpful for them. I'm not even sure if Tai-Chi Chasers would help a lot despite NO anime fan seeing that show coming a mile away. I don't even know how many episodes that show is which might decide how long that show could make money for them.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Scormio wrote:
Actually it is an issue. For a One Piece fan like me, even other anime fans look at me weird when I say I'm a fan of One Piece. Why? Because the only thing they know about it is that debacle that One Piece threw out there. A lot of people STILL just have that in there heads when they hear "One Piece".

First of all, they probably either have no idea who Funimation is or they never watched Cartoon Network from late October 2007 - April 2008 Saturdays at... I think 10pm or they can't tell the difference between past tense and present tense!

I have to agree with Shenl742 though that treating 4Kids like garbage is like beating a dying horse to the ground. I get what 4Kids did in the past as far as handling anime wasn't mostly ideal for anime fans, but the most frequent "go-to" argument regarding why they suck is from 5 years ago and have been resolved entirely by a different company for the past 3 years. Enough already! And I mean, come on, read their logo! They never targetted any of us in the first place unless some of us happen to be 12 years or younger. If they license a show we would not want them to license, then yeah, it sucks but too bad. I don't think we have the right to ultimately decide what company will license what anime we want licensed. I'm fine with anime fans being upset with what 4Kids license, but to whine and rant non-stop about it and make 20+ Youtube videos over how horrific their edits are like a kid making a tantrum for not getting his/her ice cream is just a waste of time to me.

Regarding the article, I'm a bit suprised they're still losing money. I wouldn't expect them to make a lot lately, but it really sucks they had to shut down two divisions involved in the Chaotic trading card game. I don't play it since I don't know anyone else who would play it, but I honestly figured the Chaotic franchise would've proved really helpful for them. I'm not even sure if Tai-Chi Chasers would help a lot despite NO anime fan seeing that show coming a mile away. I don't even know how many episodes that show is which might decide how long that show could make money for them.

True enough. I think that if 4 Kids wants the block to do well, they need some third party stuff...unfortunently the only two remaning companies that still consistently put out dubs(Funi and Viz), haven't offered much in terms on kid-friendly series as of late(if I hear Kekkaishi mentioned, I will reach through the screen and end your existance).

If only someone would license Heroman already. I could see it airing side by side with Sonic X.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
The whole One Piece dabacle:

1-Happened 5 years ago

2-Ended up failing and was put to a halt relatively quickly

and 3-An unedited , fully dubbed version is now readily available.

You forgot to mention Namco Bandai US no longer releasing any video games as a result.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
True enough. I think that if 4 Kids wants the block to do well, they need some third party stuff...unfortunently the only two remaning companies that still consistently put out dubs(Funi and Viz), haven't offered much in terms on kid-friendly series as of late(if I hear Kekkaishi mentioned, I will reach through the screen and end your existance).

Please don't end my existence, but I think Kekkaishi could've fit fine not for 4Kids, but rather whatever could be the equivalent of the Toonami programming block.

Anyway, I was JUST thinking about that a moment ago. Whether or not anyone else would agree with me, what made saturday morning cartoon blocks quite apealling to me 5-10 years ago was the variety between kid-friendly shows like Pokemon and shows that Marvel or DC would produce like Static Shock or X-Men evolution. In fact, I might argue that 4Kids started having problems not just because of One Piece but, because they decided to own a programming block to "4Kids TV" in 2004with their content only.

And I would also have to agree with you that Heroman might need to be on say Toonzai (gotta drop the ninja pop-up though), but licensed by a different company that would have no problem with that or at least have Tai Chi Chasers be really successful. Personally, I hope 4Kids gets back on their feet somehow, because I'm all for the idea of kids being exposed to anime on TV like in the late 90s/early 2000s.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much longer this will go on until they throw Kahn over the fantail? But knowing how these things work he'll most likely jump with his golden parachute. Rolling Eyes
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I think the state of the North American anime industry has gotten to the point where the losses of any company make me sad, even a company like 4Kids.

We need more competitors for FUNimation - even the bad ones like 4Kids. Monopolies are never a good thing for fans.
Reinhard Von Lohengram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

No, I mean Carl Macek/Harmony Gold. He didn't found Streamline until several years after he helped bring Macross, Mospedea and Southern Cross over here, as Robotech.
Streamline later distributed Robotech on home video, which they got flak for, in addition to the whole "sub vs dub" bit that was big back then, but the real antagonism concerning Robotech was with Carl Macek, during his tenure at Harmony Gold.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad. I love Toonzaki, and the TMNT series they financed was quite good. I hated the One Piece dub they did, but I've forgiven them since Funi got a hold of it.
Flame-G102

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Here's something they can do. Stop doing the shit they do to anime. I assure you, suddenly they will do much better, and at the same time, gain a fair bit more respect.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Flame-G102 wrote:
Here's something they can do. Stop doing the shit they do to anime. I assure you, suddenly they will do much better, and at the same time, gain a fair bit more respect.

It's thoughts like that, that piss me off. Anime fans seem to think that because 4 Kids has anime, that they automatically own some sort of allegience to anime fans. Guess what, they DON'T! They're not marketing towards the anime fans, heck they really couldn't care less about us. Why? Because their marketing towards KIDS. Can't you guys figure that out from the company's name? They don't need our respect, heck, we should be glad they cared enough to even make an uncut anime site, because despite what some fans delude themselves into thinking, they owe nothing to us.

The massive hate really needs to stop. Yes, One Piece was a tragedy, we all know that, but it;s not like they edited it because they like laughing at us. They did it because it was the only way they could air it during a kid-friendly block. At least they've admitted licensing the series was a mistake on their part, and gladly gave the rights over to Funimation. It's been a couple of years since then, and I really think it's time to put it to rest.

You can say whatever you like but, I'll defend them because, in all seriousness they are part of the reason why me, and quite frankly a lot of you are anime fans. I know it's not the case for everyone, but quite a few of us grew up on their dubs such as Pokemon or the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise, and it lead us into watching more stuff from Japan. They may not be perfect, we can all agree to that, but they are bringing younger generation into anime, which can help the industry as a whole. We may not like the way they do things, but we need to remember that their marketing towards kids, not us.

That being said, they seriously need another title to market to death, because that's really been what's killing them.

Okay. I'm done. Never thought I'd get around to this rant...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7