• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Reports US$9.8 Million Net Loss in 3Q 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote
4shiki wrote:
Some of the comments here are making me sad. Sad

Well what do you expect from a company that:

* Told Anime fans to "**** off" constantly. Even the CEO.
* Did the most ludicrously stupid edits to make them more "American."
* Never capitalized on their properties with little to no product support. (I checked, aside from some prototypes for a couple of properties, NOTHING.)

Of course many of us are gonna reacted negatively.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
TakishidoKamen wrote:
Its karma for all the anime series they have ruined with edits.

Not to mentioned giving English dubs a bad reptuation as well. I say it's big time karma. However they did not destroy all of them.

At least pokemon was a success even though they was edited and some epsiodes were skipped (and for VERY good reasons too)

BUT they treating pokemon right does not excuse their massacare of all the anime they wrecked. At least their not as bad as Canada's Nelvana and especially Animax Asia who are as worse as 4kids.

animehermit wrote:
I owe my anime fandom to Dragon Ball Z and Toonami, not 4kids sat am cartoon block. yeah i watched pokemon and yugioh a lot when i was a kid, but i had no idea it was anime, or even japanese.

Well I owe my anime fandom due to watching DIC's version of Sailor Moon (which is my all time favourite) As well as their version of Saint Seya (renamed Knights of the Zodiac) Then like you , it grew thanks to CN's Toonami as well their massive promotion of the Gundam series , as well as their run of Harmony Gold's version of Macross (Robotch in the US) though I admit most of my fandom was due to 4kids version of pokemon. (which is number 2)

But it's like I said , though they did pokemon right , it DEFINITELY doesnt excuse them for their massacre of the other anime series they licensed. Toonami treated anime a heck of a lot better than them.

It would have been better for all if they had stayed and 4kids went belly under and they taken Nelvana & Animax Asia with them.

At least it'll only be a matter of time before they finally bite the dust and the sooner it happens , the better with the entire yugioh series as the main piority for a license rescue
(alongs that's it's neither Sentai / Section 23 nor media blasters that does it)

Last edited by jr240483 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
jr0904, I thought I told you to leave Nelvana alone.

I also have to ask how bad were things with their domestic and Europeans licenses? I would think that that would have been more successful with them than anime.
Okay, their Winx Club was a joke, but nobody can deny that TMNT was awesome, and Huntik was too.
Anyways, if there's one person they have to lay off, the music person for their shows has got to go.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Those wondering about One Piece merch, 4Kids actually tried pretty hard. Bandai released a bunch of video games, and Mattel had the toy license. The problem was that none of it sold, for years you could find One Piece action figures (which at one point had a few recalled by Mattel), and games in the bargain bins.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:

I also have to ask how bad were things with their domestic and Europeans licenses? I would think that that would have been more successful with them than anime.
Okay, their Winx Club was a joke, but nobody can deny that TMNT was awesome, and Huntik was too.
Anyways, if there's one person they have to lay off, the music person for their shows has got to go.

Yeah, the dude is wack. Nelvana co-produces two anime series, both are successful, and are pretty solid adaptations of their Japanese counterparts (Beyblade more so than Bakugan). Anime is so little of what Nelvana does that it really doesn't matter.

As for their other licenses, 4Kids had previously sold the TMNT franchise to Nickelodeon. The company behind Winx Club took back the rights, and sold them to... Nickelodeon, where the newer seasons 4Kids never brought over will air. Huntik didn't do very well in the ratings, and is likely in the same area of something like that Kamen Rider series (ie. you're never going to see it again).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Those wondering about One Piece merch, 4Kids actually tried pretty hard. Bandai released a bunch of video games, and Mattel had the toy license. The problem was that none of it sold, for years you could find One Piece action figures (which at one point had a few recalled by Mattel), and games in the bargain bins.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Yeah, the dude is wack. Nelvana co-produces two anime series, both are successful, and are pretty solid adaptations of their Japanese counterparts (Beyblade more so than Bakugan). Anime is so little of what Nelvana does that it really doesn't matter.

Dont get me wrong . I like the beyblade series and Bakguan , however theres three words that the reason why a lot of people are comparing Nelvana and 4kids as anime killers:

CCS ( a.k.a Cardcaptors Sakura)

And from how your prasing them both , i guess you haven't seen their version of Cardcaptor Sakura haven't you? Not to mention the many anime (excluding pokemon) 4kids went nuclear on. Sure I like their US series like TMNT and Chaotic but that's all their good at and history have proven it. Like it or not for all our sakes and for the rep for english dubs , it's better those two either stay away or just go away and become extinct like ADV and Central Park Media ( who were ten times better than the crock 4kids and nelvana did)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

don't get me wrong . I like the beyblade series and Bakguan , however theres three words that the reason why a lot of people are comparing Nelvana and 4kids as anime killers:

Three Letters
Two Words

You can only choose one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Three Letters
Two Words

You can only choose one.

Sorry about that , but my point is cause of the mess they did to cardcaptors sakura , they have the same rep as 4kids when it comes to anime.

At least with this news of more losses , it's only a matter of time before we finally see the end of 4kids.

The sooner it happens , the better for everyone.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Whoa, you actually came back.

jr0904 wrote:
don't get me wrong . I like the beyblade series and Bakguan , however theres three words that the reason why a lot of people are comparing Nelvana and 4kids as anime killers:

Like I said, and I'll say it again in bold as well, it was their first anime, Ocean made the dub, The WB butchered it some more.
By then they may as well learned their lesson, because they did MEDABOTS, and if a hole like 4chan can praise the dub for that, Nelvana's good in my book.
I'm surprised, that by your logic, you don't also hate Kids WB (who aired Cardcaptors, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!), Ocean Studios, or even Saban, who you might as well say butchered Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Digimon, Visions of Escaflowne, Genshi-kun, Mon Colle Knights, et cetera.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Jr doesn't seem to hold Funimation to their heavily Americanized, heavily edited dub of Dragon Ball Z from 1996. So why is he still hung up about what Nelvana did nearly 10 years ago? Granted, CCS never did recieve a decent uncut dub, but it was released uncut (granted, it's also insanely out of print...), and while their version was heavily altered, a lot of that was from the shoulder of an American broadcaster (I can claim this due to the differences in Cardcaptors between what aired in the US, and in other markets).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7