• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: WataMote Giveaway Prize Is Not Your Typical Hugging Pillow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
That is strangely intriguing...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
/a/ must be in hysterics. They feel they deserve sole credit for the popularity of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
All I cared about from this article was "WataMote Anime has been greenlit"

Sweet! I'll definitely watch! And if its good, I hope it gets licensed

Edit: Oh, guess I missed the announcement on ANN a couple days back lol
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Kohii wrote:

I feel it's very moe.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Kohii wrote:

I feel it's very moe.

Don't know about moe, but the character image and plot does seem interesting. I'll agree it is strangely intriguing.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
configspace wrote:
Kohii wrote:

I feel it's very moe.

Don't know about moe, but the character image and plot does seem interesting. I'll agree it is strangely intriguing.

It isnt moe. The manga never portrays her awkwardness in this moe cute fashion. Its just awkward and uncomfortable, you feel embarrassed for her most of the time. In fact, usually when she tries to bring anime logic to real life, it backfires on her and humilates her even more. Its anything but moe
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
configspace wrote:
Kohii wrote:

I feel it's very moe.

It isnt moe. The manga never portrays her awkwardness in this moe cute fashion. Its just awkward and uncomfortable, you feel embarrassed for her most of the time. In fact, usually when she tries to bring anime logic to real life, it backfires on her and humilates her even more. Its anything but moe

I found her to be very cute, personally...
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
configspace wrote:
Kohii wrote:

I feel it's very moe.

Ugly moe?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
lol, I suppose thats a way to put it. Most of the time she's drawn in fairly unattractive ways. And she always does stuff that just makes the reader wanna shout, "Girl, WHY are you doing this to yourself!?" though I still wouldnt really call it even "ugly moe." She's more a girl that would like to be moe, but again, her anime logic that she tries to apply to reality usually doesnt pan out well for her.

It is a comedic manga (very dark comedy), but its almost a great tragedy in the same time. Ya just feel so sorry for her when ya read it, ya just wanna give her a hug at the end of everything. It is still a very enjoyable, I'd recommend checkin it out. Im really hopin on a North America release some time in the future
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
People, especially the ones farthest down the "this is my 2D waifu" rabbit hole, tend to start not being able to tell the difference between moe ("the feeling of wanting to protect and nurture someone") and pity.

Personally I think Watamote evokes far more pity than "moe". Or for people who relate to the character, self pity, which is what makes it so unique in a way.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
WRT to the art, I definitely don't find it ugly. It's different and charming in it's own way.

WRT to moe, it's the pity and being sympathetic to her plight that evokes "the feeling of wanting to protect and nurture someone" for me, hence properly concluded, moe Wink

It's very similar to how Ogiue in Genshiken and her awkward dere-ness is also moe
Scormio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
publicenemy333 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
configspace wrote:
Kohii wrote:

I feel it's very moe.

I gotta agree. I definitely get a case of the moe's for Tomoko
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:45 am Reply with quote
lol! i read this manga before
its not bad
I want the pillow
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
lol, I suppose thats a way to put it. Most of the time she's drawn in fairly unattractive ways. And she always does stuff that just makes the reader wanna shout, "Girl, WHY are you doing this to yourself!?" though I still wouldnt really call it even "ugly moe." She's more a girl that would like to be moe, but again, her anime logic that she tries to apply to reality usually doesnt pan out well for her.

It is a comedic manga (very dark comedy), but its almost a great tragedy in the same time. Ya just feel so sorry for her when ya read it, ya just wanna give her a hug at the end of everything. It is still a very enjoyable, I'd recommend checkin it out. Im really hopin on a North America release some time in the future

This makes a lot of sense.

With moe, the characters are very.... how can I put it. Huggable? Like Rikka Takanashi and Dekomori from Chunibyou. They, too, are a little strange, but you still feel (if you're a fan of the show and enjoy moe characters) like you could watch them do their thing all day and laugh at their antics. You pity them a little, but you also enjoy watching them and, despite what logic suggests, you wouldn't want them to change.

On the other hand, when reading Watamote, I oftentimes find myself saying "Aw, you poor thing!" But unlike the Chunibyou girls, you really wish Tomoko's situation would change drastically. In moe shows, some people can live without plot development, but in Watamote, you really want this silly girl to find a friend and open up to her classmates and stop being so awkward with everybody.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
I read the title as "Wakamoto giveway prize...hugging pillow"

I'll admit, I was quite disappointed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2