• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Working!! Restaurant Comedy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:07 am Reply with quote
I am so excited~! I didn't think this would make it state side.

Not wild about the name change... but I can kinda understand that after reading what you guys had to say I guess.

I freakin love NIS. I think they're going to be pretty successful. Now... all they need to do is pick up Kimi ni Todoke and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and possibly Shugo Chara and I'll be super happy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chocoburger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:09 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm the only one who's disappointed that they're releasing it subbed only. Is that just the NIS America way (I don't know the company), or is it the beginning of a bad trend?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:14 am Reply with quote
chocoburger wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who's disappointed that they're releasing it subbed only. Is that just the NIS America way (I don't know the company), or is it the beginning of a bad trend?

NIS America doesn't have much money, so dubbing at the moment it out of the question. If there were a larger company to say the extent of ADV in their prime they would be dubbing all their releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:23 am Reply with quote
I hate this! I've accepted the fact they do sub-only releases, but their packaging is so huge. They won't fit on my shelf and that is such huge turn off it's not even funny. Not to mention they seem to have some sort of video problem with all their releases. I wish TRSI handled all sub-only releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
I always thought Aniplex Of America would get this title... =/
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
Very happy to see this news, but kinda disappointed that they're still not doing dubs. I was really hoping that if they ever decided to go beyond the initial 4 licenses that they would not only have found the market worth continuing with, but also move on to the next level and start doing dubs. Guess they still aren't ready for that move yet, or maybe the first shows sold so well (several volumes sold out at their official store) that they felt there was no need to do dubs. Hopefully they change their mind eventually.

But yeah, I really enjoyed Working!!, I even have a couple figures. I just wish there was more. It doesn't have a cliffhanger ending really, but it does leave a lot open that I assume the manga gets into.

BTW, I really hope they use the name "Poplar". Some fansubs used "Popura" which I'm pretty sure is just Engrish since she's named for the poplar tree and there's no such tree I know of called a "popura".

Zalis116 wrote:
The title can lead to confusion in other ways, too. I scheduled a few eps for a viewing room at NebrasKon 2 weeks ago, after first seeing it at Anime Iowa back in August. One of our tech guys walked in to check on things, watched for a few minutes, and asked me about the show. I said, "It's 'Working'," though I didn't shout it. He responded, "I can see that, but what's the title of the show?" "That is the title of the show, 'Working' with two exclamation marks."

Who's on? Anime smile + sweatdrop

Emerje
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Great show. I'm looking forward to the art book
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:22 am Reply with quote
fudge. NIS always has video problems, and their sub-only releases are very annoying.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
YAY!! I loved this series. It's going on my "to buy" list! Now someone needs to license Kobato and Angel Beats! Oh and Dennou Coil as well...
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
I remember watching Fred Savage's Working a long time ago. Probably only one who did. It got weird(er) in the second season when they just decided to inexplicably change two of the cast. And it got tiring watching Fred play straight man every episode.

Only saw one episode of Working, aka Wagnaria now, and wasn't really impressed. Still, good for them.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

Not wild about the name change... but I can kinda understand that after reading what you guys had to say I guess.

I freakin love NIS. I think they're going to be pretty successful. Now... all they need to do is pick up Kimi ni Todoke and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and possibly Shugo Chara and I'll be super happy!

My sister is hoping that Shugo Chara gets dubbed :]

Anyway, I'm happy that Working!! is licensed but was hoping for it to be dubbed :[ oh well...
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
animeroxsmysoxs wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:

My sister is hoping that Shugo Chara gets dubbed :]

Anyway, I'm happy that Working!! is licensed but was hoping for it to be dubbed :[ oh well...

I am also on the shugo chara bandwagon, but due to the number of episodes, the only way we will ever see a dub, is if it gets broadcasted on TV, I personally think it would appeal to the young hanna montana fans, but that is just me, and I know there are those who think because it has a cross dressing guy in it, it wont sell, but I say it will, since that character doesn't cross dress because he likes it, but because of family tradition,

so come on disney, or nick, or even CN, you are missing a chance for a show that has great merchandise appeal, sure it is not K-On, but it could make money here
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
It was kind of a cute little show. My fave character was the lazy, vaguely yakuza-ish female manager. I doubt I'll be picking this up, though. NISA only releases premium sets at premium prices. I was willing to accept that on Toradora! because I love that show, but Wagnaria doesn't fall into the same category for me.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Love NISA licensing. Guaranteed LE's!!
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
The name change might be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I was mildly entertained by Working!!, but was never gaga over it. Add to that NISA's obnoxiously oversized packaging and the fact that even my second Toradora! set was borked (though fortunately the videos were unaffected), and I'm inclined to pass on this one -- at least until NISA provides an explanation for changing the name. My assumption is it's a trademark issue, but I sincerely hope that this was a case of, "there was no other choice if we wanted to publish this in the U.S.," than, "better safe than sorry."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7