• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You VII: Adviewnt Children

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Oh wow that would be so cool to take people on tours! I would love to work for them! Having been there many times it would be really neat! I wish they were recruiting or something Anime hyper

This was the best part of the ANNCast, IMO. Too bad it got totally buried under the usual landfill of EVA.

I would love to go on an anime "folklore" tour! I assume that is more the focus of the tour that goes to Osaka. I would have no problem with the food. I eat natto, have no problem with fish, raw or otherwise, (Uni w/raw quail egg = YUM!) and even eat the strange chicken innards that are served at yakitori places. LOVE to drink Sake!!! Yay! I originally got into Japanese Culture through the food. Anime came later.

Anyway, I would eat my way though Japan just fine! Cool

re: Eva (since that is the discussion) -- the fandom has made me totally ambivalent about it. I thought it was an "okay" show, to begin with. Might have had more interest if not for encountering the wacka-doo fandom online. Recently went to re-watch the series and realized I totally couldn't care less about this show anymore. Probably won't buy or watch the re-boot either. My money is better spent on Gundam now, and can't wait for the original series release with dubs and subs.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I like how V-Guy sounds like a late-night infomercial salesman:

"You unwashed masses are unworthy of discussing the Mysteries of Evangelion. But subscribe to my 12-Step Program and YOU can be! (Buy Goldline)"
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I have no illusion that anyone really plans to license anymore SRW.

It happened once so it could happen again. I'm guessing it did sell for them because half of those DVD's are damn hard to find. I'd buy an R1 release of The Inspector day one.

Endless Frontier was the only SRW product that didn't completely bomb in America, Geneon admitted that Cybuster sold 100 units per dvd (in SRW defense, they just used the names of mecha and several characters, and the looks of the Elemental lords and that's it)

SRW Inspector to me is clearly the best anime of the season, it combines a unique experience (in an era where you basically had Heroic Age, Overman King Gainer, and Gurren Lagann as mecha series which where unique experience in the past 10 years) with great plots, and it's simply an insanely fun series. It's also a series in which very few people in the western world is watching it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
need more disagreement on the podcast. it's more interesting that way.

But care about what other people think about a 15+ years old show is kind of stupid.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd like a disagreement where someone actually gets trounced and gets shut down, not just people who butt heads and move forward without learning a damn thing.

Oh, I happen to be listening to the full version of V and Zac's "discussion" It does get nuttier, but I blame Zac for sparking said nuttiness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Wow, that was....interesting.

V Guy, I think you give the original creator far too much credit. Few writers (especially in serialized fiction) have a great manifesto as to their intent (they make things up as they go along) and even if they do, the process of getting it out there, from writing assitants, to editors, to fan pressure, to deadlines, to real life interuptions, to budgets, to just poor ability, can taint the intended vision. Sometimes, even their own desire of perception can skew things as the BS deeper meaning into something in interviews just to make the wrok and themselves sound better than if he said the idea came to him on the toilet.

Addmittedly I do agree with the idea of keeping and retaining the original intent of the author (artist or whatever) if for no other reason than to avoid putting much deep thought into something dones solely to earn a paycheque. I also question that something that can be inturputed many different ways can be a sign or good artistry rather than a sign of poor and inconsistant writing, but the work has to be judged as presented with an eye to how its intended, not the other way around. The question is, if eva or whatever can be inturputed in many ways, is it the fault of the person for not catching things properly, or the fault of the work for providing points that can be misinturputed?

And in any event, it's just a story and it inturputation means little. There's no political, ecconomic or socialigical direction being chosen by our inturputation of a 15 year old cartoon. Frankly if you're concerned about such thing, you should focus your energies on things like the Bible or the Constitution or something where our inturputation can do some real damage. Though lose the costume shtick. Nothing kills debate faster than an overt sign that you aren't serious.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I'd like a disagreement where someone actually gets trounced and gets shut down, not just people who butt heads and move forward without learning a damn thing.

Oh, I happen to be listening to the full version of V and Zac's "discussion" It does get nuttier, but I blame Zac for sparking said nuttiness.

i have to agree with you. that v- guy lost the argument, then he changed the topic and kept repeat the same thing again and again.
daveriley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
To Mr V-Person-Guy I've never heard of:

I think it's funny that you harp on authorial intent when earlier in the show you were talking about Lord of the Rings and World War I. Tolkien is on record: he hated allegory, and he vehemently denied that The Lord of the Rings has anything to do with World War I. So: was he lying, or is authorial intent not the end-all be-all?

Also, speaking as someone who isn't really a part of 'fandom': your shit sounds mad clownish, yo. If someone wearing a 4chan costume tried to lecture me on Evangelion I would laugh right in their face. Or... not laugh, by try to shuffle away awkwardly and hope they caught the scent of some other hapless passerby.
The Eva Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Redd the Sock wrote:
Addmittedly I do agree with the idea of keeping and retaining the original intent of the author (artist or whatever)

Intent is a funny thing. I was watching Genesis 0:0 (a behind the scenes feature) while at Anime USA, and one thing struck me as interesting. Ritsuko was intended to be the "sexy" character, which is why beneath her lab coat she wears a miniskirt over black leggings and a shirt with a zip down front. However, with the exception of Carl Horn, I don't know a single person who likes Ritsuko, let alone finds her sexy. Her character is so thoroughly unlikeable (in my opinion) that it's a major turn off for anyone.

What a creator intends is not always relevant, just as our intentions in ordinary circumstances aren't always how things end up. That's just life. I think it's important to know and understand that intent, That's part of how we understand the work as a whole. Outside context is always useful in appreciating the creative process, but it's not the bottom line on how to interpret or appreciate aspects of a show like this.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
The Eva Monkey wrote:
Redd the Sock wrote:
Addmittedly I do agree with the idea of keeping and retaining the original intent of the author (artist or whatever)

Intent is a funny thing. I was watching Genesis 0:0 (a behind the scenes feature) while at Anime USA, and one thing struck me as interesting. Ritsuko was intended to be the "sexy" character, which is why beneath her lab coat she wears a miniskirt over black leggings and a shirt with a zip down front. However, with the exception of Carl Horn, I don't know a single person who likes Ritsuko, let alone finds her sexy. Her character is so thoroughly unlikeable (in my opinion) that it's a major turn off for anyone.

Well I can kind of see the likability, initially at least. Her character design is nominally attractive (especially the mole!) and her dead pan attitude is a nice foil to Misato and Asuka ("This is pathetic"). For the most part she's just the snarky, smart one of an ensamble cast...at first.

Then the second-half of the series occurs...
The Eva Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Then the second-half of the series occurs...

Exactly! I'd like to point out that despite how much people rail on Gendo for being the worst father ever, more people seem to like him than Ritsuko.

I think that says something about how intent can fail miserably.

Now, part of that might be because she becomes really unlikable towards the end, which is the point where Anno was supposedly rewriting all of the episodes on the fly.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
What? It's later that Ritsuko becomes likable, because the viewer feels bad for how Gendo used her.

At least, I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What? It's later that Ritsuko becomes likable, because the viewer feels bad for how Gendo used her.

At least, I did.

True, completely forgot about that. And in End of Eva she was spoiler[willing to sacrifice herself to stop Gendo's plan...too bad her mother's fanatical devotion to him carried over to the Magi's AI...]
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
The "twist" about V's conversation with Zac is that he had only seen it half a decade ago. I would've thought that he was the first person outside Japan to see it.

I, ah, admire the passion. Yeah, that's a way of putting it.

Oh and also Hetalia probably got the biggest endorsement I have ever heard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was an interesting debate to say the least. And I'll have to agree with 1-2 earlier forum entries that I now have a more profound respect for Zac's knowledge of "the arts" and anime after listening to all the verbiage this interview generated with the passionate and intense V. It would be interesting to hear both your POV re NGE 20 years hence. Chronologically I'm almost 63 so I doubt if I'll be around but I'm willing to surmise from your own prolonged life experience at that point in time some of you NGE diehard fans will develop different perspectives or hypotheses about this series and the characters within.

V, for someone so focused and intense from fan POV about NGE why not just buy the production rights to this show and outright own it? While it's 1 thing to try to mold and shape others' opinions from the bleachers as a motivator and rabid omni-fan, I would venture with production ownership you might be able to attain the control you desire (sub-consciously or otherwise) re-inventing "intent". Heck, with ownership you could do anything you want with the show. That said, can we look forward to "your" NGE sequel? And will it be produced in my lifetime?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10