• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nausicaa, Moribito, Eden of the East, Other U.S. BDs Dated

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Anyone know if Souleater was produced in HD, or is this just another upscale. They are releasing the Japanese Blu-Ray next January so I am guessing that since it wasn't released early its not native HD, correct?
Like FMA, Soul Eater was animated at Bones' (un)usual 960x540. Whether of not the Funimation release will use this 'half-hd' version, or upscale from the DVD master they already have, remains to be seen. Because the Japanese BD is not out yet, my bet is on the latter.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Anyone know if Souleater was produced in HD, or is this just another upscale. They are releasing the Japanese Blu-Ray next January so I am guessing that since it wasn't released early its not native HD, correct?

I was did have a hd brodcast, so maybe?
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:

I took a couple of screen caps from the old ad on Queen's Blade BD vol.1:
http://sharept35.fwhn.com/mojo/stuff/PDVD_000.PNG
http://sharept35.fwhn.com/mojo/stuff/PDVD_001.PNG
Ani-Bin concluded it's 540 lines (FMA Brotherhood & Macross F resolution)

It's higher res then DVD, in any case.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
Lots of good titles here... but where's Trigun? Confused I'm planning to buy it the minute it comes out, because my DVD set is unwatchably bad quality on my HD TV.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
RoverTX wrote:

I took a couple of screen caps from the old ad on Queen's Blade BD vol.1:
http://sharept35.fwhn.com/mojo/stuff/PDVD_000.PNG
http://sharept35.fwhn.com/mojo/stuff/PDVD_001.PNG
Ani-Bin concluded it's 540 lines (FMA Brotherhood & Macross F resolution)

It's higher res then DVD, in any case.

There are also some HD trailers of Soul Eater on the Eva 1.11 and Dragon Ball Kai part 1 Blu-rays. Looks pretty good if you ask me.
immortalrite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Moribito on BD?? I really hope they actually follow through with that.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I shall finally get to see Nausicaa.

And buy FLCL.

And buy Moribito... again.

Hell, next spring is looking like the first time in a long time I'll be buying anime on discs.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Lots of good titles here... but where's Trigun? Confused I'm planning to buy it the minute it comes out, because my DVD set is unwatchably bad quality on my HD TV.

If you're talking about Funimation's release of the series, it's been out. Look it up on Amazon or wherever.
immortalrite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

If you're talking about Funimation's release of the series, it's been out. Look it up on Amazon or wherever.

I believe they were talking about the blu-ray, which was announced by Funimation earlier this year but has yet to be released or even available for pre-order. I myself was waiting for Trigun on BD, but I heard later that it was just going to be another in-house upscale from the already existing digital copy because no one in Japan has gone back and re-scanned the original film masters (which would be awesome).
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Those concerned about Disney not including uncompressed Japanese audio tracks on their Ghibli BDs may want to consider firing a letter to Buena Vista. That's what I'm doing.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Inc.
Re: Studio Ghibli Releases
500 S Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521

Last edited by Pepperidge on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:11 am; edited 2 times in total
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I love reading news like this one. I hoped to eventually see Nausicaa get released on Blu-Ray for US purchase. Hope the other Ghibli films that are released in the US will get Blu-Ray editions. Including Princess Mononoke. That movie's crying for a re-release or atleast one with that has more bonus features than the DVD that just has English Cast interviews and English trailer.

Quote:
I wish Disney wouldn't be prudes about Only Yesterday and release it on R1 already. There's an online petition, if anyone's interested.

I was number 917 on that Online Petition for Only Yesterday to get released in America. If Disney won't release soon, then who will?

And I hope to set some money aside for everything else that'll be released in a few months from now.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Aw, shit--didn't think we'd be getting Nausicaa on Blu-ray so soon. But hell, I'm not complaining--can't wait to pick it up, it's my 2nd favorite Ghibli behind Princess Mononoke. Cool
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
immortalrite wrote:
I myself was waiting for Trigun on BD, but I heard later that it was just going to be another in-house upscale from the already existing digital copy

Oh, ew. I guess I'd still consider it if I could sample the quality first, just because the DVDs are so unwatchable now. For whatever reason, Trigun has poor film quality to begin with, and it looks worse when my HD TV gets ahold of it. Once the subtitles kicked in (I was trying to watch it in Japanese for the first time), I thought my eyes were going to bleed and I had to hit Stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2