• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:2.0's N. American Theatrical Run Dated for January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
If they would've released this a month earlier, they could've submitted it for the Oscar's Best Animated Film nomination and thus push the eligible films to 16 and gotten 5 nominations, instead of just 3.

Eva 2.0 is from 2008, so it would have been disqualified.

prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
As interested as I am in seeing any Eva movie in theaters, I'd prefer waiting for version 2.22, the bright version.
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
for news update (I guess)

The release pattern of the second Rebuild of Eva movie was much simpler than the first, which included:

*Eva 1.0 - the theatrical version, which came out in September 2007 in Japan, and was released on DVD in May 2008

*Eva 1.01 - the "special edition DVD" which came out in April 2008. It had some minor animation fixes and no new footage, but contained an inherent screen-darkness flaw in the Japanese original which carried over to all subsequent releases.

*Eva 1.11 - the Blu-ray edition which came out May 2009. Not only did it fix the darkness problem from Eva 1.01, it utterly surpassed the original in audio/visual quality. Besides a few more minor animation fixes, it contains 3 entirely new minutes of plot-heavy scenes (not just tracking shots; dialogue heavy scenes that served a purpose)

In North America, they never bothered to release Eva 1.0 on DVD (only in limited theatrical run), and they got Eva 1.01 out in time for Christmas 2009. Then Eva 1.11 came out last March 2010 (most repackagings of Eva 1.11 at this point contain Eva 1.01 as a free bonus disc)

Btw, it gets needlessly confusing to verbally refer to them as "Eva one point one zero one" and "Eva one point one one" --- we just call them "Eva one point one" and "Eva one point eleven"

In contrast, the release pattern of Rebuild of Eva 2 was much simpler:

*Eva 2.0 - the theatrical version released only in theaters. *Never released on DVD, even in Japan*

By this point, they realized that Rebuild of Eva was a guaranteed hit series, so they didn't need to recover their investment quickly with a DVD, they could wait, and focus all efforts on making an amazing advanced Blu-ray release with new scenes.

The result was that not only did they not release Eva 1.0 Theatrical on DVD....they simply never BOTHERED to make a hypothetical "Eva 2.02" - it simply doesn't exist.

*Eva 2.22 - finally released in May 2010 on Blu ray and DVD.

So you see, only ONE home-video release of the second movie was ever made, even in Japan: Eva 2.22. Now there is no confusion, this is the only one to buy.

Though this also means, that for all you obsessive collectors, the only way to watch "Eva 2.0" is in these limited theatrical-run screenings.

Differences between Eva 2.22 and Eva 2.0 :

Besides the usual minor cleanup, they added in three brief new scenes:

*Shinji, Toji, and Kensuke returning home after the first Angel battle, talking about things they've heard about Asuka (i.e. she's already a college graduate) ; and in the train station they run into Kaji. This new introduction for Kaji ties things in better, because before he just started interacting at the base with no introduction to the other staff.

*A few more shots of Mari fighting in her Eva, extending a fight scene.

*An entire scene where they show the day-to-day activities of the Eva pilots and staff: a lot of routine testing of their synch ratios. Asuka is loudly complaining about the boredom of it all, while Misato says its better than having Angel attacks. This scene is important because it conveys the passage of time better than before (a few complaints before were that fight scenes happen too close together, now they pace them out and establish that weeks if not months are passing during the movie).

*...some of the "improved animation" hikes up Mari's skirt. A lot. During scenes when she's bent over, to now reveal her panties. More fanservice! (Its so ridiculously tongue-in-cheek you can tell they're making fun of how much of a Mary Sue fanservice character Mari is)
_Scythe_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:30 am Reply with quote
sonickid101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Pretty cool, Id love to see it in theaters, hopfully they'll have it somewhere near me. Does anyone know if it will be dubbed for theaters, or will this be a sub release?
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Hell, I'd pay BIG money just to see spoiler[the final Unit 1 disaster-catastrophe beauty galore!]

If we were to get the same theater showings as we did with the Eureka Seven movie, then that'd be good for me.

I'm glad they're releasing the movie 1 month after this too. It pretty much guarantees that this will be the dub ver.

Spike Spencer's INSANE wailing, here we come!!!
IkariGendo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

By this point, they realized that Rebuild of Eva was a guaranteed hit series, so they didn't need to recover their investment quickly with a DVD, they could wait, and focus all efforts on making an amazing advanced Blu-ray release with new scenes.

Let's see
Eva 1.0 theatrical release: September 1, 2007
Eva 1.01 DVD release: April 25, 2008 (8 months later)
Eva 1.11 BD release: May 27, 2009
Eva 2.0 theatrical release: June 27, 2009
Eva 2.22 DVD/BD release: May 26, 2010 (11 months later)

So the difference is 3 months, this puts your claim on shaky grounds. Considering the initial theatrical success in Japan? Yeah, no. I'm not gonna go tin-foil hat on this and claim it was milking the fans but a more rational explanation might be that they were still unsure of the bluray market in Japan (again I didn't check any number).
You sound like a fanboy rationalizing.

_V_ wrote:

you can tell they're making fun of how much of a Mary Sue fanservice character

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.. It's just fanservice. Also sometimes it helps reading those official guidebooks, since they do provide some insight on the ideas behind Mari's character.

Also I'm pretty sure there is no 1.0 DVD release in Japan, only regular and limited editions of 1.01. Even when reading ANN and wikipedia it helps to use some common sense. I could go on but I'm bored of doing this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

His pathetic exaggerating, you mean.

Spencer makes Shinji utterly unlikable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
you can tell they're making fun of how much of a Mary Sue fanservice character

You do remeber that in this film Asuka runs around naked at one point and wear's a plug-suit with an inexplicably transparent midriff?

True I haven't read The Holy Guidebooks but with a relatively small amount of screen time so far I think it's a bit early to write Mari off as anything yet.
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope this gets a release here in Michigan like the first one did.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope it plays somewhere nearby! I loved this movie so much! I already have it pre-ordered on RightStuf, but I imagine that seeing it big in a theater must be so amazing!
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

I'm with you on that one! Here we come!!! Very Happy
ly000001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Hopefully we see a Canadian release, Eva 1.0 packed theaters here in Toronto and I know it did in Calgary as well from what my brother told me.

Do you know which theater and which day your brother was talking about? I went on a Wednesday night to Empire Theatres on the north side, and there were only about a dozen people there. The Cineplex Odeon in the south where they were also showing it was too far away. Maybe there's just more anime fans living in South Calgary Smile
asuka77

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Cant wait till we find out who will be doing voices also is it the 2.0 version or 2.22?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY! We've got some movement on this. Anime hyper Even if it's not a DVD release date, it's still somethin'! Thaaank you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3