• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:2.0's N. American Theatrical Run Dated for January

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
We've had a DVD release date for a while now.

Behold!
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
IkariGendo wrote:

Also I'm pretty sure there is no 1.0 DVD release in Japan, only regular and limited editions of 1.01. Even when reading ANN and wikipedia it helps to use some common sense. I could go on but I'm bored of doing this.

...yes, there was a Japanese DVD release of Eva 1.0 Theatrical. Not that its really worth getting.

Yes, many characters have fanservice.

Mari has it in particular, I mean she is in maybe 5 minutes of the movie, virtually all of which are fanservice.

In a magazine interview, Sadamoto flat-out said that Mari is basically just a character who could be in some other TV series, just a generic other series, that happened to wander into Eva: that is, she has no psychological issues at all (unlike the rest of the entire cast) and just likes to fight a lot: purely there to please the fanboys.

She *might* turn into something more in Rebuild of Eva 3, but who knows?

She's sort of making fun of the entire concept of "remake or sequel needs a NEW character to hook people!" -- she's Eva's version of Poochie.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so Mari is their to subvert those flaws and prove that such characters can be awesome in a series they don't belong there! Absolutely brilliant!
Totally messing with you there, although in truth I really don't mind Mari at all since she hasn't really upset the "cast equilibrium" and her fight scenes were pretty cool. I'm totally willing to reserve judgement regardless until we see more of her.
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Yes.

The big thing I'm uneasy about isn't really "Mari" herself: she's only in maybe 5 minutes of the second movie, and as you say doesn't "upset the cast equilibrium" as a result (at first, we thought she was going to be a new transfer student or something, utterly dominate the movie, and generally be "god damned Girlfriend of Steel all over again"...which thankfully didn't happen.)

Problem is I worry that FUNimation doesn't understand that Mari isn't really that important, at least in the second movie.

When I went to the NYAF panel, they just ran the trailer then said "Who's that girl?!" as if trying to hype us up.

Its like hyping up "Malibou Stacey...with New Hat!" to hype Mari. Simply because she isn't physically present in most of the film.

Meanwhile, why not try to hype us up about *the return of Asuka?!* After all, she is the main female character.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
That's understandable because making a misleading trailer or hyping up the wrong character is something Hollywood does way too often...

but at the same time Mari, being a new character is probably the best way for FUNi to emphasize that 2.0 is a major departure for the franchise without spoiling any of the other surprises the movie has.

And if that makes a couple people feel disappointed because she ended up not having enough screen time...¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's not like 2.0 doesn't have other things that are new and exciting in it.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
With all due respect, V guy, you're kind of putting a lot of words into Mr. Sadamoto's mouth there (if we're thinking of the same interview here). He only said that he wanted Mari to be "unlike an Eva character" and "untroubled", and briefly mentioned that Anno requested big boobies for her. No where does he suggest that Mari is "only there for the fanboys", a "fanservice character", a "satire of Sixth Ranger type characters" or even, as you insinuate, "unimportant". These are all fine conclusions to come to after watching the movie, really they are, but Sadamoto simply did not say these things. If you want to make personal observations, that's cool and groovy, but don't say "Sadamoto says..." or "the creators intended..." if it's just your opinion and not something they really said.

For what it's worth, I loved Mari! She was such a kickass girl. She didn't strike me at all as a "fanservicey" character (no more than the rest of the cast, anyway... I think she's the only pilot who hasn't gotten naked in the movies yet! Laughing ) I mean, aside from the scene spoiler[where she comes in on the parachute], which was a little fanservicey, all she does in the movie is kick butt, sing songs and generally be awesome!

And Japan teased us with Mari in the promotional material for a long time too (remember the posters where they'd show us like her legs or her back or whatever?), so like, it's not just Funimation that's doing it, either...

ANYWAY: I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS MOVIE COMING OUT IN THE US, YAAAAAY
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
Well, I damn well won't be able to see Summer Wars since it's not coming out anywhere remotely near me, so I can only hope for 2.0 to make it my way.

I've never seen this series(in its entirety) or any of the movies, though, so I guess I should pick 'em up in the meantime.
MarioAyanami128

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, even though this is a thread which most don´t pay much attention, I still I think I should say it. I´m extremely mad at FUNimation bc they seem to be postponing the Eva 2.0 release in theaters to January so that it won´t be qualified to compete at the Academy Awards and the Annie Award. Some of you may think the contrary, but that´s what I see. I mean, they could have fastened the translation. In fact, to compete, the film doesn´t need to be dubbed. They had enough time to put the subs and launch it in the LA county for a quaification. This film deserves a nomination more than any other anime film out there (regardless of my username), not bc I LOVE it, but it is excellence in filmmaking. The film could very well compete for Best Original Score and maybe even Best Picture like Up.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Canadian screening of Eva 2.0 listed for Jan 20 2011 at 7PM at various Ciniplex theaters across Canada:

http://www.cineplex.com/Movies/MovieDetails/Evangelion-2-0-You-Can-Not-Advance.aspx
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3