• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is DeepDiscount a trustyworthy site?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerv1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I was browsing on google and noticed that deepdiscount.com is carrying the volume of a manga I have been missing from my collection. I have never purchased anything from them before so I do not know if they are a trustworthy site to buy stuff from. So for the people who have bought stuff from them before, are they a good seller and do they offer good customer service?
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they're fine. They take forever and a day to get anything to you, and have a nasty tendency to not have enough stock in when they put up a good sale. But, they're a legit site with a long, long history if that's what you're concerned about.

Customer service...well, not exactly perfect, but they do a good enough job. DD is for people mostly concerned about price over everything else because that's the one real advantage the site often has.
Cabal17

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Only time I had to deal with their customer service was once to cancel an item, it wasn't as good as with Rightstuf or Amazon, but better than several online shops I've had to deal with.

Their shipping speeds seem to vary depending on how much you order. Whenever I order a couple of boxsets, I get them in about a week to a week and a half. But the one time I ordered a single bluray, it took forever to get to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I ordered something that ended up being on backorder (and for some reason, they charged me RIGHT away, and then it finally disappeared off my statement in a couple days). I didn't hear back for weeks and finally when I emailed them to ASK about it, it sounded like they got it in but forgot to contact me and/or ship it out until I asked >_>

So, just make sure you are on their case if something like that happens. My big tip!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Just to add on about shipping: The way it's shipped is pretty crappy. I can't expect everyone to be like Rightstuf, but they seem to not put much effort into shipping. You'd expect them to at least use bubble envelopes like GoHastings OR ANY SELLER ON AMAZON, but they don't. I recently got my Lucky Star complete collection in and it came in some kind of plastic square like you see transformers come in, just half the size. The thing is that the envelope was bigger than the plastic, so the case didn't stay in the plastic. Nothing was damaged, but I was pretty annoyed by it.

So are they legit: Yes
Are they great: Not really
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I notice they used to have a lot better prices and be even lower than amazon, but nowadays, they are usually higher than amazon, or about the same.

This happened about the same time as the Harry Potter disaster, so I've always been curious if the sudden increase in their prices had to do with the settlement (Scholastic sued them for shipping books too early).

Anyway, basically what KoH said: okay prices, legit place, but really crappy shipping.
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
I just got Haruhi S2 from Deep Discount via Amazon. Did not get for nor ask for superfast shipping, it came Media Mail. People, if you get something (if you are in the US) sent to you via Media Mail, pay the extra .45 for delivery confirmation, and you will see that many times it's not the sender, but the mail system. I've dealt with DD via Amazon, ebay, as well as directly through them, and the only problem I had was Haruhi Box set #4. The dvd came loose from the prongs. Wasn't scratched, but when I let DD know, whammo-I got a $5.00 gift card. The only thing about them is-they're big. Places like that don't always have the items listed at the same place where they're listed.
Never had any difficulty with DD.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
They're legit yeah, but unlike in the past, they're not the best place to shop anymore. They raised the prices, don't ship anything early anymore like they used to, their website has some quirks that can cause you to buy the wrong disc format, and the shipping is pretty slow. It's disheartening because they used to be so awesome but have since declined. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Just to add on about shipping: The way it's shipped is pretty crappy. I can't expect everyone to be like Rightstuf, but they seem to not put much effort into shipping. You'd expect them to at least use bubble envelopes like GoHastings OR ANY SELLER ON AMAZON, but they don't. I recently got my Lucky Star complete collection in and it came in some kind of plastic square like you see transformers come in, just half the size. The thing is that the envelope was bigger than the plastic, so the case didn't stay in the plastic. Nothing was damaged, but I was pretty annoyed by it.

Yeah, I get occasional loose discs from them when they come off the spindle because of inadequate packaging, though thus far no scratches.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
I'm bumping this to ask a question. With the 25% off sale going on right now I have accumlated a fairly large wish list. I have had poor experience in the past when ordering individual items since their packaging is pretty crappy, however, I ask, is the packaging better if you have several items? I'm talking, possibly, 3-5 items, one of which is a stackpack.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
@The King of Harts
When Deep Discount mailed out my Honey and Clover box sets 2 and 3, they used a bubble-lined envelope.

Going through my e-mail for records, I placed an order for five items once from Deep Discount. When three of them were shipped, it arrived in a small box. My first shipment consisted of two DVD singles and a box set similar in size to this and this. There was sufficient protection for the items as they stuffed it with paper similar to what TRSI does.
Cabal17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Every order I've made from them, except for a when I ordered a single blu-ray, came in a box packaged somewhat similar to Rightstuf or Amazon. The single blu-ray came in a cheap plastic spacer (that looked like an ice tray) inside a gigantic envelope.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
So the more items they ship to me at once, the better the packaging. Alright. Now as to whether they ship everything at once is the real question. I can't tell what's "On Order" or "Available" at their site, so I suppose it's all a crap shoot. Too bad blackjack is the only game I'm good at.

Thanks for the replies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1